Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has anyone gone through a second menopause  (Read 1398 times)

DreamDancer

• First Flush
Has anyone gone through a second menopause
« on: June 27, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »

I went through menopause in my mid fifties, thankfully with no debilitating symptoms, so did not go on HRT. This was in early 2000’s when there was major negative press around it. At the end of 2020 I had a total hysterectomy (including ovaries) due to a very large ovarian cyst and another, smaller, cyst in my groin under the artery an vein. I was lucky in that both were benign. I noticed last year that I was having poor sleep, night and day sweats etc. Again these are not hugely impacting my life but I only realised what it was (my ovaries and adrenals must have still been producing low level oestrogen until the operation). 

I know bone density is impacted by menopause (I have osteopaenia and trying to avoid osteoporosis) and I am wondering if this second one will cause further bone loss hence asking if anyone had experience of this. I am thinking of asking for HRT but not sure if I’ve left it too late (I’m now 67) or if my GP will prescribe it. I do have non-gmo soya for it’s oestrogen mimicking properties but not sure if this is enough.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone gone through a second menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 02:41:26 PM »

Even when ovaries are removed, the attaching 'stump' mayB left behind which may generate a low hormone boost. 

It isn't a 2nd menopause, menopause is literally, the end of periods. 

What are you doing about the osteopenia?  Have U looked at the UK-based osteoporosis web-site for advice?   Some GPs are reluctant to prescribe HRT at any age  >:(  ::), however if you don't ask you won't find out.  MayB keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart progress whilst you wait for an appt.?

DreamDancer

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I really meant I was experiencing menopause symptoms since my surgery.

I’ve been osteopaenic, that I know of, since 2019 when I had my first scan and was holding steady at my second. Hoping the one later this year is the same but it will be the first one since my surgery. I am having the usual good calcium inclusive diet, vitamins and minerals  - k2, d3, boron and magnesium together with walking and weight bearing exercises. Yes I’m keeping a diary for my GP appointment next month. I’m also on a UK osteoporosis site (HealthUnlocked) and have had some helpful replies. Just found this site and thought I’d ask the question here too.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful reply.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 10:00:19 PM »

You are welcome.  The more info we obtain from others' experiences, the better over all chance of moving forwards.

I read recently that the vitamins we require as extra to a good diet are A and D.  Of course, I skimmed the article and now it's in the bin  :-\

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 05:45:06 AM »

Hi yes I believe it can happen after a hysterectomy even many years after menopause. I can’t speak from experience , but I’ve read of ladies going through the same thing as you. xx

DreamDancer

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 08:03:16 AM »

Thank you for your reply Dotty.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 11:36:44 AM »

Hi DreamDancer.  It can be really disconcerting when this happens but it's not so much a second menopause but still your original menopause. Menopausal changes continue for the rest of your life with hormone levels continuing to slowly reduce. This slow decline has been speeded up due to the removal of your ovaries.  Even when we are post menopausal our ovaries continue to secrete hormone but, suddenly, with the removal of your ovaries your supply has disappeared.

NICE guidelines are now that women should be allowed to use HRT for the remainder of their life if they want to. Have a word with your GP about HRT if you would like to try it. Patch or gel are the best types if you are over sixty. I am on patches at the age of 68 although I started them many years ago.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

DreamDancer

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »

Thank you for your reply Taz2, it’s very helpful.  I have an appointment with a GP at my practice next month. I asked for someone with an interest in menopause/osteoporosis so hopefully will be speaking with someone who is up on the guidelines.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 11:36:59 PM »

Let us know how it goes

Taz x

DreamDancer

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »

Just a quick update after speaking to my GP this morning. She was brilliant, attentive, asked lots of questions and listened  to the answers - it was a real discussion. We have decided on a low dose oestrogen patch with a review after 3 months. A blood test has also been ordered to rule out any underlying causes for my symptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 12:30:37 PM »

:thankyou:

Is your GP testing thyroid function, VitD levels etc.?  Good to have a base line with which to work. 

AlfieBo

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »

Hi dream dancer

I have put a post up today under AlfieBo re post meno atrophy. I have similar queries to you as my last period was 9 years ago.  I am 62. Now all of a sudden I feel as if I'm going through meno again. It almost feels as if I was running on half a tank of estrogen but suddenly its empty. See my post and kind replies. Under post meno issues. I had no idea this could happen nobody mentions issues like this. My Gp hasn't discussed the whys and wherefores just px 0.01 estrogen cream  after an e consultation.