Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Amitriptyline  (Read 1629 times)

Julespat

• First Flush
Amitriptyline
« on: June 19, 2022, 08:37:14 PM »

Hi just wondering if anyone has been given Amitriptyline for neuropathic nerve pain. I have been having kind of pins and needles round my side and stomach for some time now. Eventually got a face to face appointment to see a Dr after months of telephone calls who diagnosed neuropathic nerve pain.

I have only taken two tabs which after about an hour I fell asleep. Wondering if this side effect lasts. Not taken one tonight as I have read not to take them after 8pm. And felt rather anxious this morning causing tight chest and throat. Think I might have made things worse by worrying about the chest and throat issues. :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Amitriptyline
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »

I can't remember the side effects, I dont want to be the Angel of Doom but I know that they didn't ease my trigenimal neuralgic stabbing pains  :-\

Any idea where this pain stemmed from ? 

Julespat

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 07:37:04 AM »

Hi CLKD thanks for replying. I have a curved spine and Dr thinks that is the cause. I am going to physio which helps slightly. I just don't like the drowsy feeling and was hoping that it goes after the body gets used to the medication.  I am on 10mg for first week then have to up to 20mg :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 08:22:20 AM »

I was on amitriptyline for fibro pain and they worked well. I had to take them at night though as they also aid sleep. The drowsiness does go off after a couple of weeks. Do you know why you have been told not to take them in the evening?

Floradora

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

Not taken this myself but my other half has actually been taking this for about a month now for nerve pain in his back. It seems to be working. He wasn’t told not to take it after 8pm and has been taking it at 10pm and is sleeping like a log! X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »

So there you go  ::) - mayB "not to take after 8 p.m. " is to ease any 'hung over' feelings the next morning?

Let us know how you get on?

Julespat

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 05:11:44 PM »

Hi everyone thanks for this.  I will keep taking if the side effect of drowsiness gets better. Just read online about not taking after 8pm something to do with sleep pattern. Good old google. Dr said take at night due to them causing drowsiness.  Knocks me out. Think I have scared myself. Will let you know how I feel after a week  :o

Julila

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 02:19:24 AM »

Oh, amitriptyline is a strange thing. My doctor told me that I have to take 1/3 part of a pill, then 1/2 and the whole one for several months. So I took 1/3 of a pill and I fell asleep for almost 12 hours. I remebmer that I tried to get up because I was hungry but I couldn't get up at all and fell asleep again. That was weird.

Harmony

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 06:31:33 PM »

Yes, the sedating effect is likely to continue, it's used for insomnia, amongst other things. The grogginess the next morning may continue. For many people, it needs to be taken at least 12 hours before you need to function. I've been taking it for 20 years for insomnia. I wake up feeling terrible/drugged, but I have M.E., and most people with it feel awful for a long time after waking. I've recently discovered that it can cause heart problems, and dementia. It seems that all "psychiatric" drugs can cause dementia, due to brain shrinkage. Don't shoot the messenger! I'm now considering gradually coming off it as both my parents have dementia - vascular and Alzheimer's - though I imagine I'm very likely to get it anyway, with or without amitriptyline. 😔

If I were you, I'd think carefully about taking it, and do plenty of research. Some people also have a terrible time coming off it, even done very gradually. I belong to a Facebook group for those taking and withdrawing from it and there are some awful stories on there.  It's not a drug to be taken without serious thought, many regret starting it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:46:58 PM by Harmony »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »

As an aside: all dementia diagnosis is being classed under the umbrella of Alzheimer's as the latter garners monetary support because the governments of the day won't put money into the condition .  It cannot be diagnosed until post mortem.  Having a Charity that does Research is good, but people get scared with being diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Dementia somehow doesn't worry people as much. 

I feel hung over with the combination that I take, which eases after I've eaten.