Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migraines and strange vision (not zig zags)  (Read 2227 times)

Pippa52

Migraines and strange vision (not zig zags)
« on: May 23, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »

Hi All, I started on Evorel 50 patches two weeks ago.  Slowly starting to feel better in some ways but the next day after putting a fresh patch on have been getting headaches but today got really weird very blurred type of vision which came on very suddenly quite scary.  (new patch went on yesterday) I do get migraines and have often had the aura of zig zag lines over the years but never this type of very blurry strange vision.  Vision is improving now but feel a bit wobbly will probably maybe get a headache soon although I do get silent migraines too.  I fully expect to have various symptoms while my body adjusts to the patches (swopped over from Lenzetto spray) but this was a bit surreal.  Has anyone else suffered from this or is this just another way of getting an aura rather than zig zags?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Migraines and strange vision (not zig zags)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »

Is your prescribing practitioner aware of your migraines?  I sometimes get weird eye oddities which last moments. 

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »

I get silent migraines that aren't zig zigs. My vision gets "pixelated" - like on the TV when a face is obscured.]I  have been on Evorel Conti for over 10 years.

I used to get painful migraines - they seem to have morphed into these odd vision type ones.

VanillaLover

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »

Yes I believe other types of visual aura are possible as well as the usual zig zags. I have even had a migraine manifest itself as vertigo (room spinning). It just depends what area of the brain it affects. I find I get a lot of visual snow when I am having/after a migraine (even though not usually aura ones). I have also had the pixelated thing too. I expect it’s migraine related (I had a couple of aura migraines close together after starting hrt- usually I get about one aura one a year or less). See how it goes for now and if they get worse or you’re not happy that they are migraines, check with your GP

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies - much appreciated. xx
StrongKat you describe it perfectly with 'pixalated' that is exactly how it was - thanks so much for sharing :) hugely relieved to read your post x
CLKD thanks so much for replying  - yes my GP is aware I get migraines.  I have done for many years but never had this pixalated eye effect before but very comforting to see others on here have also had the same and they are migraines even though I wouldn't want to wish migraines on anyone :(
VanillaLover -many thanks for your reply.  I too have had the vertigo type of vestibular migraines - really not pleasant I empathise.

I want to give it a good 3 months on the Evorel 50 as I do like the patches delivery method.  I have a telephone appt booked with my GP next week anyway as he wanted to check up to see how I was doing after a few week of the patches. Thanks everyone again xx

VanillaLover

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 07:45:37 AM »

Yes after the initial two aura ones on starting HRT I haven’t had any more. I get plenty of non aura ones, but that’s another story!

One thing I have had success with is a Cefaly device, I have cut down migraines from about 8 a month to about 4 with it. I use it every day in prevent mode. It’s only suitable for chronic/frequent migraines where the pain is frontal/sinus area though and it’s very expensive ! I was amazed that it works for me though. My migraines are hormonal so hopefully in a few years they might go entirely (still have periods now). Luckily I mainly just feel sick and dizzy with mine, when I feel one coming if I take the medication I can usually avoid the headache. I don’t take any preventative migraine drugs. I have also given up alcohol which (I hate to say it) has also helped. Good job alcohol free beers have come on so much lately eh.

Hope the HRT works for you and helps you.

Pippa52

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 09:47:18 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Just had a telephone consult with my GP who then asked to see me this morning.  He checked everything out as was concerned at the sudden onset of pixelated vision which I have never had before just normal miglraine type auras occasionally  but thankfully everything appears to be ok.  It can only be changing to patches and my body needs time to get used to the new regime and delivery method and dose.  He said give it 3 months.  My migraines have definitely increased in number and I seem to always get one now the day after I put a fresh patch on so hopefully in time they will calm down
VanillaLover - so glad that your migraine auras have calmed down that is great news.  What is a Cefaly device if you don't mind me asking?   Like you I feel dizzy and also sometimes get vestibular migraines.  Loving the idea of alcohol free beer - bring it on :)  Like you I had to give up alcohol a while back too.  Thanks so much for your replies much appreciated.  xx

VanillaLover

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »

It’s basically a tens machine for your trigeminal nerve. It’s approved by NICE (but not available on the NHS sadly). I use it as a preventative which is supposed to desensitise the nerve and stop migraine triggers escalating. It can also be used as pain relief when you are having one, but I haven’t tried that.

You buy it from the Cefaly UK website, it costs £370 quid but you can return it before 2 months if you don’t like it and get all but £60 back.

The sensation is quite strong, especially with a new electrode. I find it “sort of” relaxing now though. Electrodes are about £8 and supposed to last 20 days but I use some tens gel on them and use them for a month each.

If you don’t have very frequent migraines there isn’t much point though, but the website takes you through who is suitable for it to help.

It’s one of those things, like all migraine stuff, it works on some people and not on others.

I buy no alcohol or low alcohol beer from places like Sobersauce or Drydrinker. You can get good stuff in more and more supermarkets too now and even pubs. They have changed the brewing process so they are really really good. Pale ales (ie very hoppy anyway) and dark stout type beers work best, or wheat beer. Lagers are still not great. Lucky Saint is an OK lager type one.

My GP was very reluctant to increase my dose from 50 patch because of the aura migraine/stroke risk (think she was thinking of the pill) - she got in touch with migraine clinic who said there is no increased risk with transdermal oestrogen and stroke. However if they make your migraines actually worse than that’s different and you might want to try decreasing if still worse after the three months I guess.

(I didn’t increase the patch in the end as symptoms are more tolerable now for various reasons)

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »

VanillaLover - bless you thanks so so much for all the info.  I will definitely look into Cefaly - had huge success with a TENS machine when I had a back injury some years ago.  Really appreciate the info had never heard of Cefaly.  I don't take migraine drugs now as having tried most of them in the past they almost made me feel worse drugged up like a zombie.  If I can get to go to sleep when they hit that seems to make them shorter but not often able to in daytime (I wish lol).  Am getting them at least twice a week now so it is definitely an option worth considering for sure.  I'm so glad you didn't need to increase your patch as your symptoms are more tolerable and long may that last. From what I understood transdermal HRT is about as safe as HRT can get looking at all the latest research.  My GP told me today to stay on this dose for 3 months as it is now controlling the symptoms like hot flushes, palpitation and that horrendous anxiety etc I was getting.  Would rather have headaches than the anxiety tbh.Baby steps..... feel hopeful it will all settle down in time :)
Non alcoholic beer tasting session beckons soon :) xxxxx

VanillaLover

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »

I should say that there are cheaper copy type ones around that might do the same thing - Lloyds pharmacy had one on sale I think for about £40 reduced from 80. I don’t know how they compare to the original Cefaly though. I guess they don’t have the money back thing Cefaly has. Either way you are spending about the same to try it.

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 12:02:15 PM »

Fellow migraine aura sufferer here.   I would suggest reading up on cortical spreading depression (CSD).  This is believed to be a major cause of migraine aura both with and without headache and recommended medication is propranolol (beta blocker) and/or an AD like amiltyptaline or escitalopram.

Apparently oestrogen triggers CSD so it's best to aim for a lowest dose once you are post menopause. 

You should also avoid hormone fluctuations by overriding cycle in the earlier part of the menopause and avoiding a cycle once post menopause.

Nicodemus

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 12:09:53 PM »

Just want to say I can vouch for the Cefaly refund process, sadly it didn't work for me but when I returned it they refunded me within 2 days of receiving the parcel back.

I stopped peanuts and caffeine a few months ago (mainly as I am waiting for a neuro appt and I know they will ask about food triggers) but doesn't seem to have changed anything. Ditto acupuncture.

It's interesting what you say about getting the migraine the day after putting a fresh patch on as that's been exactly my experience so far too on Evorel Sequi (only been on it since 12/5). Mine are non aura though.

VanillaLover

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 12:24:18 PM »

Oh yes the no caffeine …stopped all but one cup of real tea in the morning …hasn’t made a great deal of difference but hey I don’t miss it much, luckily I’m not fussy about tea and coffee, decaff will do me. Obvs at peoples houses etc I’ll have what I’m given though!

Mia666

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 05:28:24 PM »

Hello I've been on everol sequi patches for 4 weeks, each time I change everol 50 patch within a few hours I get a migraine, no migraine when I change the evorel conti patch. Did this ever settle for you ?

Pippa52

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 06:10:45 PM »

Hello I've been on everol sequi patches for 4 weeks, each time I change everol 50 patch within a few hours I get a migraine, no migraine when I change the evorel conti patch. Did this ever settle for you ?

Hi Mia666 -  unfortunately no the migraines never went away.  I was on Evorel 50 and they changed me off them because of the migraines.  Cutting a long story short I am now on Lenzetto spray.  I don't take progesterone as had a hysterectomy so only need oestrogen.  Do hope things settle for you - maybe have a word with your prescriber if you are still suffering? Sending hugs and empathy xxxx
Pages: [1] 2