Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT FOR OVER 60s  (Read 2088 times)

evmac

• First Flush
HRT FOR OVER 60s
« on: May 06, 2022, 08:45:39 AM »

Hi - I've just joined after watching Davina the other night.  I dug out a letter I had sent to a doctor in 2014 after suffering for 8 years with extreme symptoms of what I now believe was menopause.  During this period it was never suggested to me by any medical professional (and I saw many of them) that these could be menopausal symptoms.  I completed lost my personality amongst other things and regrettably I never got 'myself' back.  I wonder knowing what I know now whether it's too late to try HRT.  I wrote to a doctor in complete desperation all those years ago and some of what I said in that letter is:
I don’t know where to start and I don’t know if you will be able to help me in any way but I am absolutely desperate and so I must take the chance that you will listen to me.  I found your details on the internet and hope you will understand why I am writing to you completely out of the blue.

I am a 51 year old women and until the age of 30 had been extremely healthy and very fit.  Since then my health has been very poor without a definitive diagnosis. 

Over the past ten years or so – but particularly in the last five years – I have gone from being an intelligent, confident, out-going person to someone who can hardly string a sentence together and who avoids social contact as much as possible.  I am not the person I was and I just want to get ‘ME’ back. 

My main symptoms are:

Memory loss
Lack of attention/unable to concentrate
Fatigue/drowsiness
Inability to learn new things
Loss of intellect
Loss of personality
Loss of self confidence
Reduced capacity for work
Loss of coordination
Indecision/confusion
Insomnia
Numbness and tingling – particularly hands, feet and lips
Diarrhoea/constipation
Pressure in Chest
Dizziness
Ringing in Ears
Tremors – head, hands, eye lids, tongue
Cold hands/feet
Leg cramps/pain
Muscle weakness
Weight loss
Joint Pain
Muscle spasms
Difficulty in focusing/double vision
Hypothyroidism
Fungal infection

sheila99

Re: HRT FOR OVER 60s
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 08:54:01 AM »

There used to be an age limit of 60 but now there isn't. If you're still suffering from meno symptoms I would see your gp. Sadly many are not clued on meno.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:03:25 AM »

Floradora

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »

Hi Evmac. I would make an appointment to see your GP and basically tell them what you have just told us and ask to be put on a low dose HRT regime to see if symptoms improve. It’s highly likely that they will. Unless you have any strong contraindications against HRT I see no reason why they wouldn’t allow this. However the new guidelines, while they are quite clear that there is no upper age limit to continuing HRT beyond the age of 60- provided it has been started prior to age 60 or within 10 years of menopause, there still seems to be a general reluctance to prescribe HRT for the first time beyond the age of 60 due to increased risk. However, my understanding is that provided a discussion of risks v benefits has been had between GP and yourself I think the guidelines now say that’s ok. Someone with greater knowledge of the detail of the guidelines may well be clearer on this and be along shortly. I hope you get the help you need.

Polly7

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »

Hi. I’m sad for you truly my story similar I was told ‘we don’t treat it like that’🤷‍♀️
I’m later 6os and please guide me how to read other posts similar. My tech is awful
I understand it’s fine to take it later but is it ok to start it much later ?

Thanks all I wish I’d known of this website I was a sofa blob sadly

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:46:08 PM »

Yes of course it’s not too late at all!

The vast majority of your symptoms sound like menopause.

Go for it and make an appointment with your Gp. Go low and slow to start. Xxx

Lumpy lou

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 06:59:27 AM »

I’ve just joined the forum thank you for having me😊I’m 62 and have just been given the Everol conti patches. My GP was reluctant at first and sent me away with leaflets about the risks. I persisted so she then agreed to let me try them. She suggested I buy a blood pressure monitor so I can keep an eye on my BP as stroke is one of the risks of starting HRT in the over 60s.

Marchlove

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 09:25:15 AM »

Well done Lumpy Lou, welcome to you xx