Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Alternative to HRT  (Read 2073 times)

abigailel

• First Flush
Alternative to HRT
« on: May 04, 2022, 01:27:48 PM »

Hi I’m on a medically induced menopause due to having a hysterectomy following endermetrial cancer. This cancer was hormonal cancer and so taking HRT isn’t an option for me.
I’m struggling with some symptoms mainly hot flushes, achy limbs and low mood. I have some control of the hot flushes and achy limbs with red clover and magnesium. But I don’t take anything for the low mood.  I have tried St. John’s wort but this makes me physically sick and so had to stop.  I don’t want to take a prescription drug so wondering if anyone can recommend another herbal alternative?
TIA

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alternative to HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »

Hello.  Who advised you against HRT? 

I suggest that if you haven't already done so, to get an appt to an NHS Menopause Clinic - not a gynaecologist or oncologist.  Make a list of symptoms/food intake etc. to chart progress and have something to discuss.  What is suggested doesn't have to be taken, it will give you a guideline as to what is available which is tested and approved.

Herbal medication can be dangerous.  These should not be taken long term. 

Quality of Life is important.  What 'risks' would you be under should you opt for HRT?  Some anti-depressant medication can ease flushes.  Pain relief can help with achy limbs, mainly due to the drop of oestrogen which may cause muscles to become lax.

Let us know how you get on.  Menopause is 'natural', however, the effects can be life changing.  R U at work, do you have child care or elderly relative responsibilities which may impact on your over all well being. 

abigailel

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 05:01:41 AM »

I know I can’t take HRT as the cancer I had was hormonal cancer. Also I had breast cancer in 2015 so wouldn’t want to risk getting it again.
It’s just work and dealing with life in general that is making me feel low I think hence why not keen to take anti depressants.

I will certainly rethink and explore more though.
Thanks for replying, much appreciated

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 06:31:19 AM »

Hi Abigailel

Research all you can about standalone testosterone for menopause. This is widely used in the states for women in your situation and is beginning to get some recognition here.  So focus your research on American websites/studies.
There is a good book called ‘Testosterone-The female Secret Hormone’ Written by Dr Maupin which would be a good starting place.
Best of luck to you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 06:38:20 AM »

Why suffer  :-\. After all, medication doesn't need to be for ever unless it's treatment for vaginal atrophy ;-).

Let us know?

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 07:20:45 AM »

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 07:26:49 AM »

And one more! What I don’t know is if the same applies to transdermal testosterone?

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/andro.2021.0003

x