Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Methenamine hippurate as a non-antibiotic alternative for recurrent UTI  (Read 3262 times)

Sage 🍃

'Treatment with methenamine hippurate was non-inferior to daily antibiotics for prophylaxis of urinary tract infection (UTI) in a recent study, suggesting that the urinary antiseptic may be an appropriate non-antibiotic alternative for women with recurrent UTI.'

The original study https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj-2021-0068229 Read the Responses as well, very interesting!

Marchlove

Hi Sage
Great new thread!
Very interesting study, great that there is an alternative to antibiotics that’s recognised by NICE x

Sage 🍃

Thank you Marchlove, you're very welcome. I told you, nobody replies to my threads.  ;D

Marchlove

Yes you might be right!
I was hoping Uptick might come along to give us her thoughts x

Marchlove

Please excuse my ignorance Sage, but is M.H similar to d-mannose?

I wonder if you should have made your thread name a bit more catchy   :D

Joaniepat

Please excuse my ignorance Sage, but is M.H similar to d-mannose?

I wonder if you should have made your thread name a bit more catchy   :D
Users know it as Hiprex, which is a lot quicker to type! Nothing like D-mannose. It is used as a bladder "disinfectant" and has been around for decades, but somehow fell off the NHS radar. It is cheap so big pharma doesn't make much money out of it, which might be why.
JP x

Marchlove

Thanks Joaniepat
Do you know if it’s only used as a preventative for women with recurrent uti’s or can it be used as a one off for a uti? x

Joaniepat

More for use with chronic UTIs I should think. Those of us being treated for embedded/chronic UTI use Hiprex alongside ABs, and when we can finally stop AB treatment we continue with Hiprex for some time. Acute UTI needs treatment with ABs, otherwise there is the possibility of it becoming embedded if left for too long.
JP x

Sage 🍃

Thank you, Joaniepat, Hiprex is certainly more catchy  ;D Marchlove, it's supposed to be a prophylactic drug, not to treat actual infection but to prevent future ones.  :-*

Marchlove

Ah, I’ve learnt something else today Sage, thanks for your thread x