Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling awful while on Lutigest 14 day break  (Read 1334 times)

Big.dosser

• First Flush
Feeling awful while on Lutigest 14 day break
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:33:27 AM »

Hi all,

I was just wondering what to do as when I stop taking Lutigest for the 14 days by the 7th day I feel awful.
I feel very lethargic, no energy and ache all over like I have the flu. I also sleep way more than normal and feel constantly exhausted.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm 42, perimenopausal and still have my womb so I'm on Lenzetto, 2 sprays a day.
Thanks for reading

Hurdity

Re: Feeling awful while on Lutigest 14 day break
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:37:20 AM »

Hi Bigdosser

:welcomemm:

When taking HRT the oestrogen is taken every day without a break so mo wonder you are feeling rough during the 14 day break! This is wrong - you've been prescribed it incorrectly by your doc.

You take the oestrogen every day and for 12-14 days you take the progestogen. Which progestogen have you been given?

Hurdity x

Edit - rubbish reply due to misreading and made better reply later, above!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:13:25 PM by Hurdity »

Big.dosser

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 06:12:39 PM »

Thanks for the welcome  :)

Sorry, It's the progesterone I'm having trouble with on the 14 day break. I take Lutigest pesseries at night for 14 days and take Lenzetto spray every morning for the oestrogen!

Nas

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »

Can’t help with the lutigest I’m afraid, but how do you get on with the lenzetto generally? ( just curious as I am speaking to my menopause nurse this week and may ask about lenzetto going forward)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 01:12:36 PM »

aaagh! Sorry I'm getting senile!

I read "Lenzetto" for Lutigest!!!! Probably because Lutigest is not widely used for HRT progesterone as it's not licensed I don't think, so not on my radar especially....

OK it's tricky if you are peri-meno, to know what's going on as it depends what your natural cycle is doing.

It is completely normal to get temporary withdrawal symptoms after stopping any form of progestogen - which is like pms, because the progestogens cause changes in our system (to get ready for pregnancy) which are reversed when the progestogen is stopped. Usually after the progestogen clears the system you get back to normal. Unfortunately if there is a slight delay in the effects of progesterone withdrawal this can leak into that wonderful two week period when one is on oestrogen alone and supposed to feel at one's best. That's why I am on a longer cycle - but this is more tricky when you are peri-menopausal.

Can you say what your natural periods were doing in the months leading up to your starting HRT ie what your cycle length was, how much it varied each month, how long periods have been irregular etc? This will give a clue to how strong your natural cycle is. If it is still very strong then your natural hormones can partly override the HRT and the symptoms may be due to this?

Feeling sleepy and exhausted is generally associated with the progesterone phase of HRT as prog is a sedative and makes women very sleepy. Also drop in oestrogen can lead to feeling lethargic and low.

What are your bleeds like? Also what dose of Lutigest? Generally the number of days for taking the licensed prog (Utrogestan) is 12 days x 200 mg per 28 days which means the withdrawal should be over quicker - but your doc may have a reason for extending this to 14. Perhaps the dose is low?

Apologies for senior moment!!!

Hurdity x

Big.dosser

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »

Can’t help with the lutigest I’m afraid, but how do you get on with the lenzetto generally? ( just curious as I am speaking to my menopause nurse this week and may ask about lenzetto going forward)

I've found the Lenzetto great to be honest, no problems at all. My doc said to up my dose if I need to but so far 2 sprays works. It's definitely helped with aches and pains.
I have problems absorbing tablets so the spray is ideal for me. It's definitely worth a try if you don't tolerate the oral route and suffer side effects  :)
Good luck!

Big.dosser

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 05:10:57 PM »

aaagh! Sorry I'm getting senile!

I read "Lenzetto" for Lutigest!!!! Probably because Lutigest is not widely used for HRT progesterone as it's not licensed I don't think, so not on my radar especially....

OK it's tricky if you are peri-meno, to know what's going on as it depends what your natural cycle is doing.

It is completely normal to get temporary withdrawal symptoms after stopping any form of progestogen - which is like pms, because the progestogens cause changes in our system (to get ready for pregnancy) which are reversed when the progestogen is stopped. Usually after the progestogen clears the system you get back to normal. Unfortunately if there is a slight delay in the effects of progesterone withdrawal this can leak into that wonderful two week period when one is on oestrogen alone and supposed to feel at one's best. That's why I am on a longer cycle - but this is more tricky when you are peri-menopausal.

Can you say what your natural periods were doing in the months leading up to your starting HRT ie what your cycle length was, how much it varied each month, how long periods have been irregular etc? This will give a clue to how strong your natural cycle is. If it is still very strong then your natural hormones can partly override the HRT and the symptoms may be due to this?

Feeling sleepy and exhausted is generally associated with the progesterone phase of HRT as prog is a sedative and makes women very sleepy. Also drop in oestrogen can lead to feeling lethargic and low.

What are your bleeds like? Also what dose of Lutigest? Generally the number of days for taking the licensed prog (Utrogestan) is 12 days x 200 mg per 28 days which means the withdrawal should be over quicker - but your doc may have a reason for extending this to 14. Perhaps the dose is low?

Apologies for senior moment!!!

Hurdity x

Haha now worries, I've had terrible brain fog lately and keep getting all my words mixed up!  ;D

My cycle has always been spot on, every 28 days and bleeding for 5 days (always heavy bleeds)
 Then 2 years ago they started getting heavier, more painful, coming earlier and lasting much longer- up to 12 days  :'(
I was suffering so much more PMS and the cramps were spreading down into my thighs.
I had internal scans etc but all looked normal so they checked my hormone levels and said they had definitely dropped below normal.
When I first started HRT (7 months ago) the bleeding got way worse, bleeding for 19 or so days, having 10 day break and then bleeding again.
But last bleed was over 20 days so I'm hoping it settles down.

I'm taking 100mg Lutigest pesserie every evening and I'm on 2 sprays of Lenzetto ( names are very similar haha) but can up it to 3 sprays if needed.

Thing is I feel great while taking progesterone it's only on the 14 day break off it I feel rotten. I have reduced it down to 12 days off myself, but it's by day 7 that I feel awful.

Do you think it's worth asking my Dr if  I can take progesterone alternate days instead.

And thank you for you your helpful reply, I'm still a bit in shock I'm already facing perimenopause!

You been great help thank you x