Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Premenopausal irregular bleeding and occasional spotting  (Read 899 times)

Jackieflynn

• First Flush
Premenopausal irregular bleeding and occasional spotting
« on: April 01, 2022, 08:10:51 PM »

Hi I’m a newbie I am 57 and have been in the perimenopause for about 3 years I could have been longer but I came of cerelle at 54 and didn’t have periods for years only the odd spotting I have been on the pill since I was 18 with the only break when I had my 3 children. My periods are irregular can range from 18 days to 31 with a few 56 days in between so basically a lottery I had some spotting 14 months ago so I saw my gynae who did internal/external ultrasound with no obvious finds and a biopsy of my endometrium which measured 9mm all results were normal fast track to today and I’m still experiencing the same irregular periods and another case of spotting (my periods are however a lot lighter then they were before) I went back to my gynae yesterday had another internal/external ultrasound no obvious findings and my endometrium measured 7mm she said she would do another biopsy to save me keep coming back for scans my anxiety is through the roof is this normal I am at the later stages of age to have not reached menopause my periods started later then all my friends so maybe that’s why any advice would be appreciated  :)

Taz2

Re: Premenopausal irregular bleeding and occasional spotting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »

Hi Jackieflynn. It's reassuring that you have been checked over recently which shows that all is well. The type of bleeding you mention is really common in peri menopause due to fluctuating hormones. Irregular periods which can be long, short, heavy, light, far apart or close together are all considered normal. I've found this thread mentioning late menopause https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57021.0.html#msg806875

Do you have any other Meno symptoms?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 08:56:53 PM »

Hello Jackieflynn and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid that I can't help you with your query but I expect other ladies will be along who can share their experiences.

I did want to say however that I'm not sure that the age at which your periods start is a factor. My periods began at a late age (seventeen) however they were always regular. At fifty two I began to have meno symptoms and became officially post meno at fifty five.  After a few years of increasingly horrible symptoms I began HRT at fifty seven and now at age sixty five I still take it.

Sorry about the potted history but it may help you to know that our menstruating years may have little relevance to our menopause journey.

Wishing you well.

K

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »

Some women are in their early 60s before they're meno so your age is nothing to worry about. Irregular periods are normal but I would be a bit more worried about the spotting. Is it the precursor to a bleed or mid cycle? What colour? Are you up to date with smears? The only time I had spotting mid cycle it was bright red and due to pre cancerous cells.

Jackieflynn

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »

Hi Sheila thanks for your reply I had my smear 2 months ago which was normal and it has turned out to be a full blown period so I was spotting a few days before a period bright red starting last night just want it all to end as I’m sure all the ladies here do  ;D

Jackieflynn

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 09:40:35 AM »

Hi Taz2 thank you so much for your reply and for giving me the link which I have read was really helpful and reassured me I am not alone. I have night sweats but no hot flushes as my anxiety meds suppress them brain fog, anxiety lots is symptoms us poor women do suffer  :-\

Jackieflynn

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 09:45:59 AM »

Hi Kathleen thank you for replying I only mentioned the late onset possibly to do with late starting as I had read it on a gynaecological website but I suppose it is different for everyone we are all unique at the end of the day  :) I haven’t tried HRT I’m on quite a few meds so will try not to add anymore if I can help it us poor women don’t have it easy do we?  ;D