Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Severe anxiety Can I take half a 2mg diazepam  (Read 2694 times)

greenECLECtus28

Severe anxiety Can I take half a 2mg diazepam
« on: March 04, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »

Howdy

I have been really bad the last few days with crippling anxiety 😥 currently made worse by the situation in Ukraine, I am a really anxious person anyway due to a medical condition and other health issues I’ve been having, was so bad I felt like I was going to collapse yesterday from being so stressed out. I just feel like I lurch from one crisis to the next I then manage to calm down but then something else will start it up again I just had a birthday and will turn 60 next year and am fearful of the future as well. The only respite I seem to get is when I sit down in the evening with a couple of glasses of red and in those few hours I feel like something approaching normal. I spoke to my GP and he wants to organise some therapy for me he didn’t offer any medication at this point obviously with it being the NHS it might take a while although he did suggest that if I had any type of healthcare with my employer it might be quicker going that route. I have 7 diazepam that he gave me at Christmas there for spasms with my hip I know that this drug can be used very short term to treat anxiety they are 2mg he did suggest that if things get really bad again I could take one during the day but only the one if I wanted to have my 2 glasses of wine in the evening and not to take one a day for longer than 3 days to see if that would settle things down a bit for me. However never having (that I can remember) taken them and am always nervous of new medication could I break the 2mg in half to see how it affects me?

Flossieteacake

Re: Severe anxiety Can I take half a 2mg diazepam
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 12:02:08 PM »

I am so sorry to hear how anxious you are feeling. I have used dizapam for mental health myself. I found it made me feel sleepy so you may want to try it at night. It is so frustrating how long it takes to get therapy. While you wait for therapy I would ask for some antianxiety medication. It can help to take the edge of your anxiety. I am sending you my best wishes.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »

Thanks that’s very kind and much appreciated  :)

Smokey

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »

I am also struggling with anxiety at the moment brought on by hormones I think. I’m on hrt and antidepressants and am waiting for menopause clinic referral to see if I need more oestrogen as I’m on the max my gap will prescribe. 100 mg oestrodot patches.

I really sympathise with you as it can be hell.

Smokey (Ann)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »

Yes.  Take 2mg!  It's a maintenance dose that will give relief.  Wait at least 3 hours B4 taking any more as it can take a while to kick in.  4 me it was almost instant, calming ...... I used 5mg as necessary for years: taking it the night B4 an event that I was unable to avoid, knowing that I could take another pill during the day.  I never required it.  It did make me sleeping by mid afternoon which would annoy the hell out of MinL ;-)

Once taken.  Sit.  Practice deep breathing to allow the table to work.  In through the nose, hold for the count of 5, release as slowly though the mouth as possible.  A cup of hot drink can be soothing to hold, even if you can't drink it. 

How R U this morning?

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 10:51:20 AM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for your message

I managed to get some sleep last night but lots of dreams about people
I no longer see or who are no longer alive probably not surprising given how
Stressed I am about everything especially the current situation in Ukraine as
I’m terrified we’re going to get sucked in to the conflict my GP actually told me
To stop reading/watching about it when I spoke to him on Thursday

I haven’t taken the diazepam yet my plan was to take one 2mg in the morning say
Around 11/12 after I’ve run my son in to work and hope that will take the edge
Off things during the day and then in the evening around 8pm can have my couple
Of glasses of wine as usual then my dinner to wind down in the evening  GP seemed
to think that would be ok I only have 7 tablets anyway and I don’t think he would give
Me any more as he’s not keen because of how you’re body can get used to them quickly
And over time you would need a higher dose and they can be addictive

My work have been very supportive especially my manager she was very understanding
And is on antidepressants herself she says she couldn’t cope without them my employer has
A support for mental health/other health issues she has said I should contact them as they
may be able to get me help quicker than my GP she used them and said it helped her
Also we recently changed our work contracts and I believe we have access to some
Private healthcare I think it’s a GP service so might be worth checking that out as well
I think I have been putting things off with maybe going down the medication route
It was offered to me before but I was sureI could learn to cope with ‘talking’ but obviously
I’m not coping as every time something happens I see as a threat to myself whether it’s medical
Or something in my head of world events it’s just total panic for days which results in not eating etc as when I get really stressed out I lose my appetite

I think I will call my Work’s support service and see if they can get me help sooner than my
GP as he did say it could take a while as it’s NHS

Thanks for the listening ear weather looks nice for today so might see if I can get
Out in to the garden as I find it relaxing being in amongst nature