Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice please!  (Read 2231 times)

Shelli.R

• First Flush
Advice please!
« on: February 25, 2022, 05:49:29 PM »

Hey ladies. I'm now desperate for advice please.
I'm 52 and been perimenopausal for 2 years now and only recently (December) been put on Evorel Conti patches - mainly for my mood (it was either that or I got sacked and divorced).  Back in September I attended a Menopause 6 week information group which was really good. During this time I was advised to start on Omega 3 vitamins as I don't eat any fish. I started this 4 weeks ago and really cant see a difference in anything, but I will persevere.
My issue is this..... I ache everywhere! My ankles, knees, thighs, feet! everything below the  belt. Is this normal? I wondered if I should be taking glucosamine too but when I try to get information on this, I hit a dead end. Are all these aches and pains normal or am I really getting old? I go on 5 to 10k walks twice a week and by the end of the walk, trying to get into the car is really painful. Do you know if I can take Omega 3 together with Glucosamine? 
I do count myself extremely lucky compared to some of the stories I've read about for you ladies who have it bad. My heart goes out to you.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Shelli

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »

Hi!  Who suggested taking Omega 3?  I don't eat much fish  :-\

U may do better by finding out which foods have benefit as they will be digested and absorbed by the body in a different way to something that is a small capsule with a small amount of active ingredient. 

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  We have threads here about various painful places!  Currently I'm suffering with low back pain and bilateral bursitis  ::)

Making sure that your seating position is correct at the keyboard; that you sit properly elsewhere and that your mattress isn't too old to support you; as well as 'how is your foot wear'?    ;). I could save the UK money, the times I want to shriek 'those shoes aren't doing you any good'  ;D

:welcomemm:  have U tried pain relief to ease symptoms?  Swimming is good non-weight bearing exercise ........

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »

As you're peri you may be better on a sequi regime, conti is for those who are meno, one year without a bleed. I can't comment on the additives but if the aches are due to meno you need to give it a little more time to work. If it's joints rather muscles it might be worth ruling out arthritis.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »

When researching and finding out all I can about perimenopause, the subject of supplements always comes up and one specific is Omega 3 oils. I suspect for helping inflammation and joints.

The list usually also contains magnesium, vitamin  D, B vitamins, collegen etc.

I'm going to try omega 3 supplements. I don't react well usually but willing to try as my joints and inflammation is bad.

Hugsneed1958

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 08:20:24 AM »

Any one used vagifem and ovestin alternatively. I am and was told I can 3 vagifem week or 2 vagifem one dose ovestin in middle week or vagifem with ovestin outside and little in dr said can but worry too much. 65 no womb but overies thanks  I have put 2 other notes on here about vaginal Atrophy.  Also read and tried useing ovestin without plunger thing just use finger then can mix with moisturiser if find to irritating hope that's helped with info.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:27:41 AM by Hugsneed1958 »

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »

I use Vagifem daily and Ovestin also daily externally. It's such a low dosage there's no need to worry. I don't bother with the plunger either, just apply where needed with clean finger and whichever moisturiser you are using. Ovestin can sting sometimes so I usually put moisturiser on aswell.
Sounds like you've got it sorted, just use more if needed until everything feels comfortable.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 03:38:04 PM »

Who ever told you that hasn't suffered with VA!

U can use both as and when necessary: nightly if required.  One cannot overdose on localised oestrogen if that's what your GP is worried about.  Some find that a moisrisor helps also.  It's a bit Trial and Error until we find a regime which works ;-).

Hugsneed1958

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 05:06:15 PM »

Thank ypu so much for that confirmation 👍