Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Acupuncture  (Read 1057 times)

Elgin91

• First Flush
Acupuncture
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:42:40 PM »

I’m thinking of trying acupuncture to see if it helps my menopause symptoms, especially the hot flushes at night. I can’t take HRT due to previous BC and tamoxifen just makes all the symptoms worse.
Has anyone tried it and did it help? At this point, I’ll give anything a go. Don’t even get me started on recurring thrush. If it helps that too I’ll be a fan forever.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 08:19:01 PM »

Hi!

How long since your BC treatment?  'tamoxifen' almost killed me, as I hadn't felt ill during treatment - radiation for 4 weeks - after 3 weeks of the drug I stopped it.  I suspect that, as it's an oestrogen suppressant, you are suffering with peri-menopausal symptoms.  What advice did the Oncologist give, if any?

Have you been diagnosed with 'thrush' by a swab?   Certainly GA can upset the equilibrium.  I first had it after stopping The Pill.  Each time I had emergency surgery my body responded with an attack of thrush, so when I had elective surgery I ate lots of LIVE yoghurt to cleanse the complete digestive system.  I also applied it to the vagina - at least it was soothing.  After my evening bath I would lay on a warm towel and put it as far up as I could reach, the read a book. 

When my dog has chemo therapy I gave her LIVE yoghurt from a spoon as she had heart burn.  It worked for her.

Thrush thrives on sugars.  I never worked out why I suffered after my appendix was removed.   :-\

Some anti-depressant medications can help with the flushes as can HRT by a patch.  How would acupuncture help?  I know it's been used by the Chinese for centuries for various ailments but nothing can 'balance' the hormones other than HRT.  I tried acupuncture for anxiety but found it too painful to tolerate; my husband however, went to sleep  ::).  In fact he was so quiet that the Surgery was almost locked, leaving him inside  :o - in the days B4 mobiles, what would I have done  :-X

I don't know whether acupuncture is offered on the NHS?  Let us know what you decide and how you get on. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »

I'll PM you, but would not recommend NHS acupuncture for something like this as the "Westernising" of it and subsequent training from logic mostly doesn't fit. It is too "NHS-y" in terms of treating a symptom in isolation and providing a "prescription".  I would highly recommend TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) acupuncture, though.  Actually, can't PM you as you've to accrue ten posts before this works. I think I wrote a fair bit on acupuncture in another thread. Maybe try the search box? Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 12:56:52 PM by Postmeno3 »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:35:16 PM »

Acupuncture won't alter oestrogen loss which can be the cause of many symptoms.  MayB shop around to decide which practitioner you feel most comfortable with?  I believe it's based on pressure points?

Yoga; tai'chi ; swimming; gentle walking; can ease some symptoms. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 01:51:57 PM »

Acupuncture can change hormonal signalling systems.

Elgin91

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 04:18:39 PM »

Thank you ladies. I have found an experienced practitioner and just waiting to see if she can help. There’s an article in the BMJ that details a group of women across a string of doctors surgeries in Denmark that had 5 sessions each and 80% reported an improvement in their symptoms so it has to be worth a go. I have 10 months to go on tamoxifen (will have completed 6 years then) but must admit it’s becoming a struggle now as it’s making everything worse. The BC clinic have been brilliant but are keen for me to complete the 6 years if I can. It’s hard as I feel rubbish most of the time. Throw a monthly dose of thrush in the mix and it’s even worse. 😔
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 04:20:15 PM by Elgin91 »

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 04:25:48 PM »

Yes, I imagine Denmark to be quite forefront and holistic. I'm very pleased for you. I saw the most incredible work going on with many women who had gone down every avenue imaginable to become pregnant without success. A few sessions of acupuncture made their dreams come true. Different scenario, of course, but exemplifies the power on hormones of skilled acupuncture. Good luck!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 07:50:03 PM »

It may be the 'tamoxifen' causing many of the symptoms.  In 1995 I completed 3 months, stopped for 2 then another 6 weeks.  It almost killed me.  It did kill my friend, who developed cancer of the womb after 10 years on it.  We had the same consultant who told me that there was a risk "But none of my ladies ever developed it".   :-\

If you don't want to continue, then don't.  It's your body after all. 

What's 10 months - surely quality of life is important?  I don't know what recent statistics about 'tamoxifen' might be but at the time I was given it, it was taken 'as it might stop cancer regrowing'. 5 years was recommended. If the growth is removed then we shouldn't require an 'in case' medication.

It's an oestrogen suppressant ........ but our bodies make oestrogen naturally which then reduces at peri..  Within 12 hours of the first dose I felt as though I had 'flu: cold, shivery, anxious, nauseous - that should have warned me!  It increased my sense of taste and smell - eventually I was unable to eat.  I knew that DH was cooking pork chops downstairs  - I couldn't go for the meal .  He made a Dundee Cake: in a lidded tin, in the pantry with door closed, I could taste the 1 tablespoon of cold water and the fruit that he had mixed in.  I lost weight so fast and was already slightly under 7st.

Let us know how you get on?