Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Muscle Twitching  (Read 18450 times)

EmmaB

• First Flush
Muscle Twitching
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »

Hi I am new to the forum and never used one Basi hopefully I am posting this in the correct section!

Just wondering if anyone has muscle twitches which I have been experiencing for the last few weeks. Mainly legs and buttocks. Then my eye for 2 days. If I google this symptom it comes up with the dreaded 3 words… MND. Thus then caused me extreme anxiety to the point where I could not cope and caused other symptoms.

So I started the conti patches 3 weeks ago which seemed to calm the anxiety but twitching still there. I hate it as it scares me. Also get small electric shocks in body.

Before the twitching I had constant pins and needles for 2 weeks. Which now I prefer to the twitching.

Doctor has referred me to a neurologist but this is a 6 month wait as she said my symptoms are non specific.

Anyone with the twitches?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Muscle Twitching
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 12:51:46 PM »

Yep.  Usually my eye lids/lashes since about age 11.  Usually put down to being over tired. 

:welcomemm:  I suspect that if your GP was concerned he/she would ask for a sooner appt..  As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Etc..  Also the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, skin, vagina ........  ::) It's The Change, does what it says on the tin.

Browse round.  Make notes. Ask away, nothing is stupid or silly on here.  We have threads on pets, books, travel etc.; we talk about menopause sometimes ;-).

Those electric zaps - are you on any other medication (no need to say) but my anti-depressants give me zaps across my head.  I am used to them now.

EmmaB

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »

Hello thank you for replying.

No other medication. Hopefully nothing sinister and it is hormones as I read anxiety can cause the twitching. So anxiety brought on by my hormones then the side effects of the anxiety maybe?

However because my anxiety is very low atm I don’t understand why I would still have the twitching. When walking at shopping centre a few days ago my knees were on fire and were so sore. Came from no where then had a period the following morning. Is this what woman have to go through for the next few years!

Angelasurrey

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »

Emma B I have the twitching in buttocks and legs at  night too.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 03:46:24 PM »

That will be a hormone link then.  Hot flushes in the knees, that's a little different  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »

Could be just benign fasciculations (BFS).  I've had them at rest all over the body for many years, with hindsight from around the time perimenopause symptoms began.  Mine were diagnosed as BFS by a Neurologist, without progression to anything more serious.  Hopefully Neurology will be able to put your mind at rest, but I agree when they first start they are unnerving.  :hug:

They can be associated with imbalances of minerals such as magnesium & calcium & some deficiencies including Vit B12, so well worth ensuring your diet is healthy, which as you'll know is anyway a sensible step at this stage of life.  Caffeine can make them worse too.
Wx

EmmaB

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »

Hi thank you to all.

Feel a bit better knowing I am not on my own with this symptom.

My B12 is high so I may try some magnesium supplements.

Sharon 50

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »

I've had twitches for a few years now, been perimenopause for almost 6 year's, but the last few months has cranked up a gear so much so I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks , doctor put me on a low dose antidepressant but they gave me terrible tremors and the twitches were so bad I decided to come off them altogether, doctor put me on the mini pill to help with the perimenopause symptoms , that was six weeks ago and got a bleed after first month but hasn't gone away on day 17 now but I'll stick with it as I read this is common with the mini pill, as for the twitching it has calmed way down since coming off the antidepressants and don't bother me so much now xx

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »

Yes I also get them, randomly at different times of night and day as well in various parts of my body, also worried about it, but I think its some sort of deficiency in a mineral and was also thinking they  may be due to stress, of which I had plenty in the past year or 2.

EmmaB

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »

Hi all it’s reassuring knowing it’s not just me. As I am sitting now they are all in legs particularly around knees and buttocks. My anxiety is very low at the moment which I thought would stop them. Then when they start I get  a feeling of dread come over me.

Kiwi Fran

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 03:43:30 AM »

They can be associated with imbalances of minerals such as magnesium & calcium & some deficiencies including Vit B12, so well worth ensuring your diet is healthy, which as you'll know is anyway a sensible step at this stage of life.  Caffeine can make them worse too.
Wx

I second this, for me eyes and muscle spasms has been fixed with a b complex and/or magnesium. I always have to take early in the day or they keep me awake.

EmmaB

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 08:34:20 PM »

So Fed Up

Muscle twitching is back all over body. Scarring the life out of me.. it stopped for a few weeks and then started over a week ago. I hate it. Sitting here now moving my feet constantly so I cannot feel it. I am not stressed and it starts and then I start stressing. So it’s not the anxiety that starts it. It’s the other way around which is even more frustrating.

I even have it randomly in my arms, back, eye etc… Then this kicks off my anxiety. No one I know has it. My periods on time each month so am I peri menopausal? Who knows??? I am extremely dry down below, moods all over the place, itchy , dry eyes and the dreaded twitching which is the worst. Still taking conti patches and pessaries. I am now thinking the twitching started when I started the patches…

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 02:34:40 PM »

The fact that it stopped for a while should reassure you, if it was something sinister, it would have gotten worse and worse, my also comes and goes, usually when I have been through a particularly stressful period.

marge

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 04:58:04 PM »

It sounds horrible EmmaB and l can imagine it’s scary, but l think it may feel so bad because you’re constantly thinking about it. I’ve had odd things like that too and try to stop my mind wandering to dark places, l go for a good, long walk, up hill and down dale! I try and go with someone as chatting away takes your mind off it and walking makes me stop worrying so much. As Cassie said, if it was anything nasty, it wouldn’t have gone away for a few weeks.

SamP

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 08:40:35 PM »

Hi
I’ve just read your post re muscle twitching and I completely empathise. I’m 48 and in peri my muscle twitching started in October last year and it’s widespread …. It’s in my legs, arms, back, stomach, hands … you name it everywhere! I went to a neurologist in October as I was so concerned and he did all the neuro tests and all was fine. It’s now June and it’s still going on every day and trying to get on but it’s hard … anyway I think it’s bfs but reassuring to know others are in the same boat
Pages: [1] 2