Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Apron belly fat and weight gain - can't bend over it to put socks on!  (Read 2619 times)

Wobbles

Hello all - most of this post is just a general grumble about being fat and not losing weight as fast as I could when I was younger - I now have a massive behind and a huge belly - I look like a wigwam.

Am I the only one who has 'apron fat' where their belly fat seems to have dropped. Mine gets in the way and I can't shift it to put my socks on. It doesn't help that when I'm out walking my muscles don't seem to recover very quickly. A few hours later and the next day my legs feel like I've been hiking miles or doing 'spinning classes'. I'm trying to exercise it off through walking but don't look forward to the achy muscles afterwards. Plus my shoes don't fit properly due to fluid retention / pitting oedema - it's all a bit annoying. My feet aren't wide but the fluid builds up on the top of my feet. My fat feet and ankles are usually a sign that I've too much oestrogen or eating too much processed food. Don't really get anything in the way of sore boobs, sweats or flushing though brain fog and weepy episodes come and go. I also can't be arsed with anything.

I had an operation in summer that involved 4 months of bed rest and limits on movement and bending so my muscles are in a bit of a rubbish state at the mo. I am getting physio for this though. One thing I remember being on HRT, was how it supported my muscles and I could do loads more and it didn't hurt afterwards.

I haven't had a period for well over a year now and my GP gave me some Evorel Conti patches that made me feel worse (never liked the noristhenenone or whatever that's in it). I'm not sure the GP will let me have different HRT without the usual symptoms though. Currently, the surgery lines are swamped and I feel a bit of a timewaster asking for a different type of HRT with what's going on  Covid wise. Anyone else get achy legs and have a huge belly?  I've gone up a dress size and put on over a stone since earlier this year  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Apron belly fat and weight gain - can't bend over it to put socks on!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »

My 'apron' dropped a few years ago.  First thing in the morning the belly is flat but during the day it seems to flop.  Downwards  ::).  Some days I feel fat, or. my belt is tight by mid-day.  I haven't put on weight, simply altered shape.

No one is a time waster.  Many GPs don't think that we are in peri-menopause unless we have hot flushes so you may have to lay it on thick.  MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?

maggie_p

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 06:31:11 PM »

I am so sorry @Wobbles, I feel for you 🤗

It is awesome that you are trying to exercise even with all that happening, you must give me some inspirational tips 🥰

I am afraid I have no advice about HRT, but can share what I do when my feet get puffy. I found that ankle brace support worn for half a day or even a couple of hours helps me a lot and feet don't return to their puffy state for quite some time after. If you get some thinner ones, perhaps you can even wear them while walking?
I think this edema can contribute to pain in your muscles, mind you I am not a medical professional, this is just from my experience.
In terms of walking shoes, Go walk and knock offs cope well with everchanging feet ;)

Go easy on yourself, our body's are changing, we had hellish couple of years. Important thing is to try! And do contract your GP, your health and happiness matter 🤗

holidaylover

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 07:58:35 PM »

Getting old is horrid isn't it.  I look at my friends and never seem to think their bodies are changing like mine.  Apron belly fat is the bane of my life.  How the hell do you get rid of it?! (My friend knew someone a while back that got a tummy tuck for this on the NHS as she claimed it was ruining her life).  I had 2 C Sections and always thought that was the reason for mine.  Just all the loose skin sort of hanging over the scar getting bigger and looser as the days go on, with no muscle tone at all.   I look like I have an extra bum now but at the front!!  I do think we need to be kinder to ourselves at times really but it can be so depressing when clothes don't fit.  Well done though for sticking to the physio, you'll get there.  I've decided I'm going to be a new 'me' in 2022!!  And seriously, if anyone has tips for the 'apron' it would be appreciated, is it diet or is it exercise?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains as well as oestrogen being the elasticity of the body.  So once muscles get lazy ........

If 1 has ankle swelling it should be investigated as undiagnosed oedema may be relative to heart problems.  Also, ask about elevating the bed to help any overnight swelling.