Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Books that help with anxiety  (Read 1292 times)

Gnatty

Books that help with anxiety
« on: November 08, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on books that have helped when dealing with anxiety. It's such an awful affliction. For me books can help as long as I start reading and putting into practice before the anxiety ramps up to the point where only medical intervention helps. Will post my recommendations shortly.

Postmeno3

Re: Books that help with anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:09:40 AM »

Shall look forward to that, thanks! Poetry helps me and anything which focuses on spaciousness rather than anything technical/clinical? I feel anxiety is such a uniquely-experienced thing and, depending on the intensity of it, too much formal information could be weirdly affirming, labelling and identifying with what may not be pertinent to us or to us at that particular time? Thinking of what/who we love and are loved by can be just one way of diluting fear. 💚

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »

I know exactly what you mean. I like Claire Weekes books because she helps you to live side by side with your anxiety and explains away all the horrid physical feelings so they don't seem so scary. I think several of us on here have found them very soothing.

The other book I am reading at the moment is The Untethered Soul. This sounds a bit mystical but it's a good reminder that we are separate from our thoughts and a bit like other books on mindfulness encourages us to notice the thoughts and they then with practice lose their power over us. I am reading it for the third time and each time I get a bit more help from it. I felt the stirrings of anxiety again the last week or so and this book has really helped me get back on an even keel.

--
Emma added:
Link to book on Amazon
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 11:06:22 AM by Emma »

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »

We have a book section on the site, including a section for self-help books
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/bookshelp.php

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »

Ah, brilliant, I didn't realise. Thanks Emma.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »

? merge the threads ?  :-\

I didn't believe Claire Weeks when I read her books ..... she made recovery sound too easy. 

I tried relaxation tapes too ....... it was finding time to listen to them  ::) and when  :cat88: and I sat in the chair, we fell asleep  :o
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:30:44 PM by CLKD »

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 01:36:20 PM »

It's a bit like I said above, I find books helpful at the beginnings of anxiety. The trick is to notice it starting and then reach for what helps. I agree when the anxiety is severe more interventions are required.

Terri

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »

Hi Ladies.

Good thread to start. My worse peri symptom was severe anxiety and panic attacks which developed into health anxiety as I had no idea of the physical symptoms this had on the body. It’s very scary and awful to live with.

My recommendation is also Claire weekes, another is Paul David -  at last a life, and over coming health anxiety by Rob Wilson.

Someone also sent me this link from calm clinic with a step by step guide on the physical symptoms and what was happening. This helped enormously,  especially with the healthy anxiety part of it.

https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety-guide/symptoms

I don’t realise there was a self help book section on here - thank you admin.

Terri x

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:52:04 AM by Emma »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »

This thread is about sharing what has worked with the topics that Emma recommended is other titles.