Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Adenomyosis and oestrogen  (Read 1493 times)

Ecl

Adenomyosis and oestrogen
« on: November 02, 2021, 07:51:13 PM »

Hi, sorry this may be long, looking for someone with experience of HRT with adenomyosis.
The gp I spoke to to start HRT was lovely, and thorough, and ordered blood tests before I started.the tests showed a higher than normal result which could indicate ovarian cancer so I had to have an ultrasound. I had had painful periods since puberty ( think vomiting, dizziness, passing out each month), only eased by the pill, and then having my children. So I was surprised when the doctor said I had adenomyosis as I was having no symptoms at all anymore.
I am perimenopausal, and started 0.5 sandrena gel and 2 utrogestan for days 14-26. I have also now just finished my initial two weeks of vagifem.
Since starting it has made a huge difference, my constant hot flushes have gone, my night sweats have gone and so I can sleep through the night, and my mood swings have settled considerably - my kids are happy to be getting hugs rather than a tongue bashing, so it’s brilluant and I love it. Except...
The abdominal pain is awful. It’s not connected to the utrogestan as even though that comes and goes, the pain does not follow. Sometimes I cannot stand properly and I have had to go to bed in the day or cut short days out.
I am just coming to the end of my oestrogen only phase, as well as the two weeks first phase of vagifem, and I am only getting through the day with ibuprofen.
I have been reading up and have read that oestrogen can aggravate adenomyosis, so am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and how the symptoms presented as I don’t really know what is going on so am trying to figure it out. It may be nothing to do with the adenomyosis, and I really don’t want to give up HRT so am hoping it will settle tomorrow when I start the utrogestan phase again, and maybe better next month when the vagifem is less frequent ( although I had it before the vagifem)
I have been through the search and read a lot of posts on adenomyosis but none were covering pain unrelated to periods.
You deserve a gold star if you’ve made it this far so thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Adenomyosis and oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:37:38 PM »

Something is aggravating the hormone system - is it like period pains?  Like you, I suffered until I began the contraceptive Pill.   Is this since you began the HRT which was when?  MayB ask for an appt. to menopause clinic - not a gynaecologist because they often don't understand peri-menopause  :o  ::)

Ecl

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »

Hi CLKD,
I have been on HRT for 5 and a half months now, and had no abdominal pain before. Since starting HRT I have had intermittent abdominal pain but no rhyme or reason to it. It was awful on holiday at the end of July and I was ill for the whole school holidays almost. But then it went, and last time I started the utrogestan I didn’t have any for two weeks, is just come back on Saturday, and I wondered if a build up of oestrogen may be responsible as I start progesterone again tomorrow.
Often it is like period pains but more to the left of my pelvis at the moment, other times it is more diffuse, all over my belly. I am also bloated and “windy”!
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »

Morning.  Sounds hormonal but not the effects that are comfortable.  Hopefully someone who uses HRT will be along with more advice.