Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 761 times)

Gracie

Hello Everyone
« on: November 02, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

How did I get to be 72 and never heard of Virginal Atrophy, why didn't any of my older friends ever mention it!!
I thought I was suffering a prolapse, I couldn't even sit down without being in intense pain and burning. I have been using Vagifem for 12 weeks now but my symptoms seem to be coming back, will have to consider my next move but apparently it can take eighteen weeks to be fully in your system!

I have four younger sisters just starting on the menopause route, I will make sure they are informed when they ask, I have to say this has all been a shock to me how severe the symptoms of Virginal Atrophy can be.

Browsing the forum has been a great help while I waited to be accepted, thanks all! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 12:25:00 PM »

Hi! how often do you use the 'vagifem'?  Some ladies require two pessaries on one day occasionally.  Some use every night to keep symptoms at bay.  A few use 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' or Yes or Sylc products on the outer labia to keep the areas moist and less itchy.

VA is not talked about.  I feel sorry for any people in care who may not be aware, I have handed out copies of 'Me and My Menopausal Vagina' where ever I can.  Might be worthwhile you buying copies for your sisters ;-).  Written by a forum member and very informative.

:welcomemm:  browse round. Make notes.

Gracie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »

I started using vagifem pessaries every day for two weeks and am now using it twice a week as per the manufacturers and doctors instructions, its obviously not enough for me as my symptoms have returned.

I was surprised to read on the forum the fact some ladies are using more pessaries each week than just the two, I haven't read anywhere where that is an acceptable thing to do.  With that in mind I have asked in an E-Consult if I can up the dosage or change to something else.

Thanks for the welcome :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »

:welcomemm:
Can't help with VA as I don't have it (yet!) but I hope you find some relief from it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »

It is absolutely OK to use daily. U read it here first ;-).  Quality of Life is the most important issue.

The amount over a year is less than general HRT, which is agreed by most menopause clinicians.  GPs don't know nowt and tend to stick to 'guidelines' in case they get sued. So don't be fobbed off!! Listen to those who have suffered.

Get them up there ;-).  1 now and another 2night, then every night - it can take a while for symptoms to ease anyway.  When I get the need2P feelings I swallow 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day, it eases the spincter which nips as it shuts off the urine.  It really is about taking control of what suits each 1 of us.  Do get a copy of Jane's book, "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" ........ I bore people silly with copies  ;D

Have a lookC at the 'sylc' and 'Yes' websites, some ladies find moisturisers help: or they use 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' on the outer areas. 

As an aside: some ladies who didn't get VA treatment required surgical intervention because the labia fused together  :-\.  It is very rare but does happen, either because they think that they 'have to live with it' or don't dare discuss with anyone  :-\

Gracie

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

Well I am on a journey that's for sure!! Paracetamol is helping until things settle down again, hopefully.

Sheila99 Many thanks for the welcome but I hope you never suffer with VT in the future, but you will at least be aware of the symptoms if you ever do. I was so naive in thinking that when the menopause was over that was it, but it was just the beginning of something else!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 03:38:08 PM »

You are in good company  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:13 PM »

Sadly many of us have been caught out. When my anxiety and insomnia started I had no idea it was peri, neither did the GP. Hopefully our children will be better informed.