Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie and just starting HRT - when will I feel any different?  (Read 1422 times)

Wombat

Newbie and just starting HRT - when will I feel any different?
« on: October 18, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »

I’m new to this forum. Had a hysterectomy a year ago (left ovaries) but think I’ve been peri menopausal for last 7 years (now 47). Symptoms over this time have included dizziness, awful anxiety, but the worst has been years and years of palpitations - flutters, skipped beats and racing heart (especially at night and especially after even just one glass of wine). As a result, I’ve had health anxiety for some time. A GP has finally suggested HRT (instead of antidepressants which I did use for a few years). I’ve started on a low dose of estrodot (25mg) and 50mg progesterone. (GP said to try the progesterone even though I have no womb because this will help with the anxiety and mood). I’ve been on this for 2 weeks and feel terrible. I’ve got the permanent jitters, awful dizziness at times and awful palpitations. It’s all intermittent (seems to come in waves during the day) but enough to put me on edge all day. Not helping my health anxiety at all. I listen to all the celebs saying how HRT has saved them. When will I feel any better. I feel so much worse. Is this worth persevering???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie and just starting HRT - when will I feel any different?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 02:51:30 PM »

I would stop the Progesterone.  You don't require it.  It could be a drop in oestrogen levels The Change: does what it says on the tin  ::)

How is your diet overall?  Missed meals can encourage anxiety surges when the body is hungry.  I was advised to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.

Don't listen to the celebs..   Browse round.  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

I would ditch the progesterone too for now as it's usually that which causes problems. See how you are just on the oestrogen patch, if you still feel terrible in another 2-3 weeks then ask for a different brand. You should normally try any hrt for 3 months to give it time to work but you shouldn't feel terrible on it.

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 08:11:12 PM »

Also just to note you are currently on a very low dose of oestrogen. It maybe that to feel well you will need to slowly and carefully increase. I would recommend reading as much as you can. It may be that now it's a year after your op that your ovaries have decided to pack in which I believe is quite common. If this is the case then once you have levelled up your oestrogen then testosterone too will help. There is lots of info on here and also the Louise Newson menopause doctor website. I know there is a lot of stuff out in the news at the moment about the pros of hrt. What they don't tell you is it takes a while to find right dosage and right delivery method. Hang on in there we will support you!

Wombat

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »

Thank you all for bothering to read my post and sharing thoughts. I think I am going to ditch the progesterone. Also booked a gp call to tell her this as she was convinced I needed the progesterone to help my mood and to help me sleep. Presume I can just stop taking this as only 3 weeks in? I will persevere a bit longer with the patch though. Otherwise I think the only solution is to go back on an antidepressant which helped, but I didn’t feel right being on them for years and years. Thanks again

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »

I can't see why you shouldn't just stop the progesterone. Remember too your patch is a super low dose so you have lots of leeway to increase. As an example I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy and I take 5 pumps of oestrogel which I guess is the equivalent to 5 of your patches! Plus testosterone. I'm 54.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

Is the progesterone utrogeston? It makes my mood worse, dies nothing for anxiety and makes me dopey during the day. Others do find it aids sleep but I don't think it helps mood or anxiety. I think you can stop it immediately. I agree your oestrogen dose is probably far too low, I started on 50mg in peri and now on 100mg. If you feel no better in a couple of weeks you could stick an extra patch on. Apart from your symptoms you should be on a proper replacement dose until normal meno age to protect your heart and bones. It takes 3 months on the right dose to get the full benefit. Some people find they need ADs as well as hrt during this period, others still need them long term. Have you needed them only post op or were you on them before?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »

Let us know how you get on?  Make a list to talk to your GP about.  A short course of anti-anxiety medication or an anti-depressant which helps might be worth while, especially as we are heading towards That Time of Year  >:(  ::).  6-8 months of ADs will take you through the winter months as like HRT, it can take a while to realise benefits.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »

Just to add - it took the full 3 months for my anxiety to go though there was some improvement after one month.

Wombat

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 08:38:55 PM »

Many thanks again for the ongoing advice and support. I did manage to speak to my GP today and she said to stop the progesterone for a few days when she’ll call me again to see how things are. If I don’t see any change, I will ask her if I can also restart sertraline (which helped with peri anxiety before my hysterectomy).