Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 1756 times)

Elliebee

Anxiety
« on: October 14, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »

Hi my first post on here! I’m 51 and been having peri menopause symptoms on and off for 5/6 years. The worst is anxiety mainly health related. I spoke to GP last week re this and some digestive issues possibly IBS. She arranged a blood test and FIT (blood in poo test) . Receptionist called yesterday to say GP wanted to make a routine phone call appointment to discuss blood test results. The appointment offered was 1 Nov. I had a complete meltdown on phone - anxiety levels through roof. She tried to reassure me that it was routine and not urgent so nothing to worry about! I am
Panicking that the blood results will mean the FIT test will be positive ! Now convinced myself I have cancer ! Feel so scared and low

marge

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »

I am sure if there was any cancer issue, they would not wait until November to discuss with you.

Haydo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:49 PM »

As Marge posted as I was typing this, I am sure they would not be waiting more than 2 weeks to discuss your blood test results with you if there was any indication of anything serious.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »

....... and breath.   :welcomemm:   If your GP was concerened about your results you would have been contacted B4.  Anything from the Path Lab. will be red flagged if necessary.

Poo with blood can be for lots of reasons.  There may be a tear in the anus ......... usually that test isn't 'back' as quickly anyway.  Blood test results are a different area of investigations.

Some find that keeping a food/mood/symptom diary to chart progress.  Decide which symptom U would like to ease first?

Elliebee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »

Thank you for your reassuring replies. I went through the same anxious he’ll when I had a routine mammogram in March ! Keep telling myself next time I have tests I’ll be calm and level headed ! That doesn’t happen !!
Anxiety is certainly my worst symptom of peri menopause, I’ve always had it but seems 100 times worse at certain times of month along with digestive issues! Any recommendations much appreciated!

Haydo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 04:12:10 PM »

Mindfulness meditation.  Lots of different ones on YouTube to start you off.    You have to persevere with it but it does help (it helps me anyway).   I was quite dismissive of it myself when it was recommended to me, but it is surprising what 10/20 minutes of meditation a day does to help with anxiety and sleeping issues.   Maybe worth a try anyway. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »

How is your diet?  I was advised to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  To help ease any anxiety surges.  That's 3 hours, even in the night ;-)

JoannFran

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »

Hi - I can totally sympathise with you.  I am exactly the same when it comes to getting results.  And my health anxiety is at an all time high at the moment. 

As the others have said, I'm sure they wouldn't wait until 1st Nov if there was anything serious.

I had some bloods done recently and the dr called me to discuss the results.  Turns out my potassium is low and she told me to eat a banana everyday.  That was it!

I also had major digestive issues last year.  IBS, awful pain, bloating, stomach cramps, indigestion, nausea, belching.  I had FIT test and convinced something was wrong, but all came back good.  Apart from I have a small hiatus hernia.  I was making the IBS symptoms worse by fixating on them and once I knew there wasn't anything wrong, it all settled down.

Try to relax. My husband always says no point worrying until there's something to worry about.  How I wish I could take that advice  ;)

Hugs x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 05:01:17 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common due to laxity of muscles.  Sleeping slightly upright might help.  I used 'Rennies' for years to ease heartburn.

Elliebee

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »

Thank you everyone. Sorry not sure if I can reply to you individually ?

Haydo - I have tried mindfulness and meditation apps and to find them helpful at bedtime. Some are better than others.

Joannfran - that’s exactly what my husband says - if only I could! I too fixate on the symptoms and then it’s a case of is the symptom causing anxiety or anxiety causing the symptom?

CLKd - my diet is reasonably good not perfect and probably too much vino at weekend. My sister has a hiatus hernia and my dad had one too. I do get occasional acidic stomach pain in top centre . Linked to cycle

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »

It is what it is!  You worry.  We reassure  ;D

Symptoms causing the anxiety.  Otherwise what would U worry about?  If symptoms continue for more than 2 weeks then a chat with the Nurse or GP is important.  Usually most disappear into the background quite quickly once we learn how to manage symptoms.

Elliebee

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 08:13:23 PM »

I worry about everything! Worry if I’m not worried! Think the anxiety and digestive issues are worse at certain times of my cycle. Hormones cause the symptoms and symptoms cause worry. A viscous ⭕️