Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Uterine polyps? Has anyone experienced them?  (Read 2755 times)

Afternoontea

• First Flush
Uterine polyps? Has anyone experienced them?
« on: September 11, 2021, 06:20:12 PM »

I am 48 and for the last 5 or 6 years I have had reoccurring uterine polyps.
I have them removed via hysteroscopies but the darned things keep growing back.
The hospital have kept pushing the mirena each time as they say I need progesterone to help shrink them and keep my uterine lining thinner but I’ve been put off by the dreadful reviews online and the worry that I can’t have it removed swiftly if it causes me issues.
I have never had hormonal contraception or medication so am very apprehensive.
I have another hysteroscopy scheduled for Monday and still not sure if I want the mirena so, as my last consultation was a year ago (that’s how long I’ve waited for this hysteroscopy, due to Covid), they have said I can ask questions on Monday morning before the procedure.
I know very little about hormones for perimenopause and wondered if there are any other forms of progesterone I can take which would be successful in keeping the polyps and heavy periods at bay?
I also worry about side effects as I am very sensitive to medication and as I already have many peri symptoms and bad IBS I don’t want anything which is going to make me feel worse than I already do!

rmurphy

Re: Uterine polyps? Has anyone experienced them?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:58:29 AM »

I'm 52 and not on any HRT. An ultrasound (not a TVS) showed I had a small polyp in the fundus (12x12x9mm) that has been bleeding steadily since the beginning of August. It's a light, water bleed. I'm hoping that it shrinks like others here have said theirs did. Three months of this is really getting to me mentally. I just want this to stop. I won't submit to any internal exam or invasive procedure (I don't need the PTSD), so I just have to ride it out.

Grheliz1

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »

I ended up having a Mirena for my uterine polyps. It seems to be working well and I may actually, after a year of hysteroscopies, even be discharged in the New Year.

I wish I'd had the Mirena inserted about 10 years ago, when I was really suffering with heavy and frequent periods. I was put off by what I read online. The only side-effect I have noticed was a little water weight (2lbs), which now seems to have gone, also causing a bit of constipation. Linseeds have sorted that out. I now weigh exactly the same as I did before I had it inserted.

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »

I can't be much help, but I do know it's very easy to remove a mirena coil much much easier than putting one in! Also, the problem with online reviews is that the people who post tend to be the ones with something negative to say. There are many many women who think it's marvellous. You could be one of them. Hopefully you can talk it all through at your appointment. If you decide to have the mirena fitted they can do it there and then so you won't have to put yourself through another procedure.

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »

I’ve had polyps removed twice. The culprit was oestrogen without enough prog - I couldn’t tolerate prog at all then, and kept it to a minimum. The biopsy showed they were oestrogen fed polyps.

If you’re not using hormones you could ask for a Jaydess coil - it’s essentially the same as a mirena but a lot less hormone output.

Have a search on here and internet for info on Jaydess.

The polyps didn’t return after last removal and my reduction in hrt, you’ve got options other than mirena.

Sfifties

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

Hi pollywollydoodle,
May i ask what do u mean by oestrogen without enough progesteron, what dosages and type were u taking ?

arc73

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »

I'm also 48. I had a couple of polyps removed last year after several years of spotting much of the month between fairly heavy periods. Like you I was very wary of taking hormones so declined the Mirena at the time. This year in order to treat VA and other menopausal symptoms, I chose to have the mirena fitted so I could use Oestrogel. I felt crappy for at least a month, I'm clearly quite sensitive to progesterone and it bought back all the premenstrual fluid retention symptoms that had eased as I moved further into perimenopause. About 5lb of fluid retention the first week and swollen breasts. However this did all eventually ease off and I feel absolutely fine now.

My periods are currently about 2 days of spotting every 30-40 days if that so I'm losing much less blood and might actually have healthy ferritin levels for once in my adult life! I still feel a bit odd about not being so aware of where I am in my cycle but I was struggling so much it was worth a try