Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Help! I am falling apart!  (Read 6626 times)

gm_thomson

Help! I am falling apart!
« on: September 06, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »

Help! I feel like I am falling apart. I dont know if this is all menopause or if i have a weird disease or what but i feel like i am losing my mind.
I am 49 years old. I started with night sweats maybe 4 years ago and the last 18 months its been hot flashes accompanied by weird pressure in the head, and dizziness. I also would get occasional palpitations as well as migraines. My period has been getting more and more erratic with the time between them getting longer and longer, sometimes three months. Anyway last six months the flashes have amped up and some weeks they are every half hour or so. It seems to vary. I go for a while with one every few hours, then a few days of it every 30 mins etc etc.
BUT I can deal with the flashes. What I cant deal with is that starting 3 months ago I started having panic anxiety episodes. I cant say panic attacks cos Dr Google says those last 10minutes but these have been lasting 2-3 days.. and include intense anxiety, hours of racing heart, pounding heart in my chest, palpitations and flushes. My Apple Watch ( which i am starting to hate) says on those days my resting heart rate is 10 beats above normal. I bought a BP meter to test at home but got so freaked out it went up and up and up and i wont touch it again.
I had my first episode in May. Then another Aug 23. And twice since then, so they are getting more frequent. I booked my doctor for Thursday but I need to know how to survive till then. I am trying deep breathing and brisk walks and meditation and trying to keep my mind off my health but my brain wont leave it alone and as soon as I start thinking about it I get into a bad cycle of it getting worse and worse. And trying to sleep is the worst cos I can hear my heart pounding and it makes it worse.

I dont know what to do, I am in tears here and am losing it. I cant handle this. I am scared there is something wrong with me, or that my anxiety is going to make something wrong with me or I will have a stroke or something.. Please help.  :'( I dont know what to do.I feel like i am losing my mind.

Michelle7474

Re: Help! I am falling apart!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »

Hi Gm
I just want you to know , your not losing your mind .. everything you have wrote most of us , including me have experienced & like you I thought something was seriously wrong.
Blood tests after Blood tests & all is normal ..
it’s hormonal for me & then the over thinking makes it 10x worse & I think the physical symptoms are worse
Mine would last days on end and be in fight and flight mode constantly, bloody horrendous & worse thing I’ve experienced
I did same as you with BP monitor & completely stopped using it as I feel I would panic more when it was so high.
Was in A&E twice and they wasn’t worried about it , so I decided I wouldn’t worry like it ..
I also hear my heart beat when I get into bed .. & like you I panicked .. now I get myself in a comfortable position where I don’t hear it
Our bodies are strange old things .. but please don’t think your going mad because you are not.

If it continues you can ask your GP for Anti Anxiety medication
It’s a god send to some

Everything you are saying is exactly how I felt .. and the lasting of few days was same .. so intense

It certainly seems hormonal , but your GP might run some blood tests .. that’s what they do with me but always come back fine .. which I never understood as I wasn’t fine.
Mine started end April .. and then June and then constant .. I take each day as it comes now because I just never know what the day is going to be like.
And don’t matter how many times it happens it’s still the worse feeling and I will never get used to them

Have you tried HRT ? For some that’s also a god send ..

Just wanted to let you know your not alone Xx  ::)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:51:00 AM by Michelle7474 »

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:43:56 AM »

Hi GM
I do agree with Michelle, your symptoms and Michelle’s describe mine exactly except I was post menopause when it all started. Thought I was going mad and having a heart attack, trips to A&E and loads of tests, erratic blood pressure made so much worse by using the monitor and my Fitbit tracker.
So yes it can all be hormones even though it seems hard to believe.
Hope you feel better soon

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:48:49 AM »

Bless you, I can so relate to everything you describe. You ask how you are going to get through til Thursday which right now feels like an eternity. One of the most helpful things I read when I was desperate was a book by Claire Weekes. A bit old fashioned but so helpful. We become frightened of our fear and symptoms. She advocates instead of trying to run from these terrible feelings, symptoms to do the opposite. So when you get a wave of fear, shakes etc accept them as wholeheartedly as you can and carry on despite them. It's difficult but it does work with a bit of practice. It seems to remove the fear. My other advise would be that you make a list of what you want to say to your GP. And make sure you don't leave without getting something that's going to give you some immediate relief. Maybe a few diazepam just to give you a break or/and a low dose propranalol which takes the edge off the worst fight, flight or freeze symptoms. On top of that you and doc need to decide on HRT and or an AD. Good luck. We are here for you. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »

Get rid of the app.  These cause health anxiety big time.  It becomes a habit for users to check more often than might be necessary as well as relying on a thing that can't possibly be accurate 100%. 

...... and breath.  Browse round.  Make notes.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  A drop in oestrogen can cause all kinds of oddities even though it's 'natural'  ::):welcomemm:

A BP monitor is good.  The readings must be taken at the same time of day, best of 3.  Before eating so best prior to breakfast.  On DH's machine I am dead because I took Betablockas for years++.  He has white coat syndrome so takes his reading for 3 months, then they get noted in his records.  Job done.

As necessary anti-anxiety medication can save Lives.  I used 'valium' with success in the 1990s, taking 5mg the night B4 events that I couldn't escape.  Knowing that I could if necessary take another mid the next day, which I never required.

gm_thomson

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 12:59:53 PM »

Thank you so much- I am a born worrier and have always had very mild health anxiety and I always overthink things so I am my worst enemy here. But it makes me feel a bit  better that I am not alone in this and am not going crazy. I am definitely taking ALL your suggestions - I have started a list for what I want to say to the doctor, and I am not checking my BP or the health app as it just makes things worse. I think thinking about the doctor isn't helping either sigh. But I managed to get a bit of sleep last night so that's good. Counting the days till i see the doctor...

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »

Did your relatives not discuss The Change  :-\.  It's something that I knew about from an early age, however: like many I thought it was cessation of periods and a few hot flushes  ::).  I was advised by Mum not to ask Aunty why she suddenly went very red ............

Let us know how you get on?

gm_thomson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »

Sure, I knew there were hot flashes. But I didn't know about this crippling anxiety. Seems they talk more about puberty than menopause.

SMD

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 01:53:03 PM »

Hi, I posted earlier today in a state. Gp appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks but I rang the surgery and said, I'm getting myself in a complete state. They've given me a phone app this afternoon.  Might be worth calling Dr's again

Michelle7474

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »

Thank you so much- I am a born worrier and have always had very mild health anxiety and I always overthink things so I am my worst enemy here. But it makes me feel a bit  better that I am not alone in this and am not going crazy. I am definitely taking ALL your suggestions - I have started a list for what I want to say to the doctor, and I am not checking my BP or the health app as it just makes things worse. I think thinking about the doctor isn't helping either sigh. But I managed to get a bit of sleep last night so that's good. Counting the days till i see the doctor...

You are never alone , come on here and rant away .. Ive ranted so many times because it does get to you & then the mind overthinking makes it worse.

I haven’t taken my BP for months now because I quite  frankly don’t wanna know what it is lol .. it was always so high when aniexty/panic was there that it scared me even more ..
now I don’t do it & I take no medication apart from my warfrain & omzerpole daily

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t let this beat me .. so forward is the way to go .. I expect good and bad days and take each day as it comes

HRT can help you with symptoms but it’s not a quick fix and can take 3 months to see if it suits ., you could be a lucky one and get the right one first time.

Also Anti Aniexty medication could help you too ..

What ever you do decide I hope it works for you and you see many better days.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Remember someone is always reading on here so you are never alone X

Michelle7474

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »

Hi, I posted earlier today in a state. Gp appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks but I rang the surgery and said, I'm getting myself in a complete state. They've given me a phone app this afternoon.  Might be worth calling Dr's again

I hope you get the answers you need SMD
I’m a bit annoyed that everything is still over the phone
I understand covid is still out there but precautions can be taken

I used to always feel better once I had seen a GP… but over the phone I feel rushed and seem to forget most things lol

Good luck. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 01:58:12 PM »

Yep.  We were warned in the 1950s/60s that once we had periods, we should keep away from boys.  Eventually it was explained  :-\.  For me at the age of 11 , menopause was miles away! and it simply wasn't discussed.  'You'll find out when you are older'.  "Out" being what, never explained. 

Michelle7474

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »

Yep.  We were warned in the 1950s/60s that once we had periods, we should keep away from boys.  Eventually it was explained  :-\.  For me at the age of 11 , menopause was miles away! and it simply wasn't discussed.  'You'll find out when you are older'.  "Out" being what, never explained.

I expected few hot flushes and missed periods
I used to say to my best friend she is 53 now .. that I can’t wait .. no more periods and just few flushes…

I take that Back now … I’ve not missed a period yet but jeeeeeeeeeeeez ain’t as simple as just hot sweats

I hope the younger generation prepare themselves.. I’ve told all my nieces .. read up .. be aware ..

EllaAurora

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »

Help! I feel like I am falling apart. I dont know if this is all menopause or if i have a weird disease or what but i feel like i am losing my mind.
I am 49 years old. I started with night sweats maybe 4 years ago and the last 18 months its been hot flashes accompanied by weird pressure in the head, and dizziness. I also would get occasional palpitations as well as migraines. My period has been getting more and more erratic with the time between them getting longer and longer, sometimes three months. Anyway last six months the flashes have amped up and some weeks they are every half hour or so. It seems to vary. I go for a while with one every few hours, then a few days of it every 30 mins etc etc.
BUT I can deal with the flashes. What I cant deal with is that starting 3 months ago I started having panic anxiety episodes. I cant say panic attacks cos Dr Google says those last 10minutes but these have been lasting 2-3 days.. and include intense anxiety, hours of racing heart, pounding heart in my chest, palpitations and flushes. My Apple Watch ( which i am starting to hate) says on those days my resting heart rate is 10 beats above normal. I bought a BP meter to test at home but got so freaked out it went up and up and up and i wont touch it again.
I had my first episode in May. Then another Aug 23. And twice since then, so they are getting more frequent. I booked my doctor for Thursday but I need to know how to survive till then. I am trying deep breathing and brisk walks and meditation and trying to keep my mind off my health but my brain wont leave it alone and as soon as I start thinking about it I get into a bad cycle of it getting worse and worse. And trying to sleep is the worst cos I can hear my heart pounding and it makes it worse.

I dont know what to do, I am in tears here and am losing it. I cant handle this. I am scared there is something wrong with me, or that my anxiety is going to make something wrong with me or I will have a stroke or something.. Please help.  :'( I dont know what to do.I feel like i am losing my mind.

Hi and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place and as already said by ladies above, you are not alone with your symptoms! It sounds like your menopause is advancing and the hormones going up and down.

Symptoms such as anxiety, panic, racing heart etc are so concerning and exhausting to live with. I'm not sure how many times I've asked myself, can this REALLY be 'just menopause'.. Its good you'll have the appointment with the doctor soon and always good to rule out any other reason for your symptoms just to be on the safe side, but like said, menopause can explain all of the above. I understand from your text that you are not yet on HRT. That is probably something to discuss, if you are open to it. Its not a fix it all, as you can see from the discussions here. For many of us it takes time to find the right product and right dose, but it can be great help when you find the balance. Usually it seems physical symptoms such as the hot flashes or heart palpitations ease faster, while with mood issues and anxiety it can take longer time. But there are also other medications for these in case your symptoms are severe.

Take good care of yourself and plenty of rest. And let us know how you get on! xxx

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 04:49:03 PM »

Hi gm,

I can’t add a lot to the excellent replies from the other ladies here but want to reiterate you are honestly not alone. For me, an increase in anxiety-particularly health anxiety- has been a nightmare for me (I am post menopause). I have been in exactly the same situation as you with the blood pressure monitor to the point where it has taken over my life the last 7 months and I just don’t take it any more (because for me personally it wasn’t as if it was something the Dr had asked me to do, I was taking it because I felt anxious and guess what, that made the readings high -and so it went on).

There is always someone here to listen to you. I hope you get on ok at your appointment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4