Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Omeprazole side effects  (Read 5527 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Omeprazole side effects
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »

MayB eat something a little 'lighter' for 3 weeks at that time as a sort of 'what makes this worse/better' experiment?

holidaylover

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »

Doctor has upped my Omeprazole dosage to 20mg twice a day.  Pain has still been bad along with the palpitations.  The past couple of days I think I feel a wee bit better (might just  be my imagination),  but the past couple of days I have also had really bad diarrhea and stomach cramps.  Now I don't know what to do.  Does anyone know if this could be caused by the tablets?  Or maybe a stomach bug?!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 07:26:30 PM »

It may be interacting with the gut, from top to bottom? 

Did U try eating a lighter meal at night?

holidaylover

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »

CLKD, Yes I'm trying to eat smaller portions, but I cant seem to pick out anything in particular that makes the pain worse.  I've been up all night with the diarrhea (at least 10 times through the night) and I'm absolutely exhausted!  No relief at all from horrid stomach pain and cramps.  I dont know whether to take any tablets today or just drink water.  Or even take something to stop the diarrhea or let it run its course.  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »

I don't think this is anything to do with the omeprazole. Do you think you could have picked up a food poisoning bug? Campylobacter causes dreadful diarrhoea and awful stomach cramps. There is usually no vomiting as it affects the lower digestive tract. I feel such severe diarrhoea needs a medical appointment.

holidaylover

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 11:01:31 AM »

Taz2, don't think it's food poisoning as the rest of family are fine and we've all ate the same.  Haven't taken omeprazole last night or this morning and although I still have a sore stomach and a bit of cramping, the diarrhea isn't near as bad.   I was fine on 20mg of omeprazole but wondered if upping the dose may have caused this.  The only other thing I did wonder about was we had a very large box of soft chewy fruity sweets at the weekend, and I ate far too many, right up until Monday.  Diarrhea started on Tuesday.  If I'm no better tomorrow I'll ring the surgery.  So sick of stomach and indigestion issues.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »

I just wondered as campylobacter takes around five days to appear but can be as long as ten. If the chewy sweets contained sorbitol this may be the cause    :)

holidaylover

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »

Oh really, I'm trying to think if I ate anything at the weekend that may have been the cause, and just realised I ate a Chinese!
I dont know if the sweets contained sorbitol, I've put the box out but I know I get stomach pains if I eat wine gums or the like.  This was a humungous box!!  If its been that, then it serves me right for being greedy.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »

Probably the sweets. Not sure about the Chinese! Undercooked meats and poorly washed salad can be a cause.

holidaylover

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »

Just had a wee read about campylobactor.  Had my chinese on Saturday night (Prawns!) so with my symptoms starting on Tuesday it does kind of fit.  I had the shivers a bit yesterday too, couldn't come a heat, and a banging headache so that might be the answer.

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 05:50:01 PM »

I felt fluey with mine. I had antibiotics once diagnosed. Buscopan helped with the cramps. It's a nasty bug and can lead to reactive arthritis so watch out for that!

Taz x

holidaylover

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »

OK right thanks, I have Buscopan in the cupboard so will try that.

holidaylover

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »

Well I've just phoned the surgery because although I feel a bit better and stomach cramps are not so bad, I still have diarrhea and noticed I was passing some blood.  I thought I'd be better phoning today as waiting until the weekend.  After the 10 minute recorded message which includes information regarding the flu jab, covid symptoms, treatment rooms etc, I eventually got to speak to the receptionist.  She asked my symptoms,  "Diarrhea, with some blood, and stomach cramps, I had a headache on Wednesday when it was at its worst, and a bit shivery" I told her.    Her reply "Mmmmmm.....  these are Covid symptoms, so the Doctor would probably want you to phone 111.  Wait and second....." and I was put on hold.  Because of the blood, she obviously deemed it worth me speaking to a doctor.  How kind of her.  If I had phoned 111 I would probably have been sent to A@E, and I thought we were trying to stop this.  I would also have probably been sent for a Covid test.  However,  2 minutes later, the lovely doctor phoned me back and confirmed that he thought I most likely had some bacterial infection from eating something dodgy.  No mention of Covid whatsoever.  Is everything a symptom of Covid now?  And when can we see out Doctors again in person?  All this in Scotland who are drafting in the Army to cope with the under pressure ambulance service.  Open the Doctors surgeries and a lot of people wouldn't need to phone an ambulance.!!!!

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »

Have you got to give a stool sample? Campylobacter is notifiable

Taz  :-\

holidaylover

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 04:00:04 PM »

Taz2,
Doctor said if I wasn't better on Monday I have to phone and come in to get tested.  How on earth do you test a stool sample when it's diahrroea (how on earth do you spell that!!?)  It's literally like water.  Can they tell from a blood test?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4