Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thrush / Ovestin hrt  (Read 2878 times)

Ann c

Thrush / Ovestin hrt
« on: June 27, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »

Hi, has anyone heard or had any problems with burning/ stinging/ tingling, these are the symptoms both myself and my husband have been having for about 8 weeks now, I went to see my doctor and they put me on Ovestin and they gave my husband Canesten and treated him for candida (thrush).
After a couple of weeks my symptoms seem to be the same as my husband, my GP then gave me  Canesten and two weeks later gave me double strength canesten Our symptoms have improved slightly sometime we think it’s cleared then a hour later it’s back. Last week I went back to my GP for her to take swobs to send to the lab which are due back next week.
I mentioned to her that we both have similar symptoms but she ignored me.
It’s really getting us down now has anyone experienced anything like this
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Ann C

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thrush / Ovestin hrt
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 01:34:39 PM »

Hi - go to a walk-in STD Clinic?  They are often in shopping centres, my 'local' is on the same floor as Boots eye/hearing clinics  ::) so no secrecy there then!

Couples can certainly continue to reinfect each other and your GP should have taken swabs from you both.  Candida lives in the back passage and thrives on sugars.

Do you have vaginal atrophy?  Better to get the 'thrush' sorted as it may be bacterial .

Ann c

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »

Thank you
Not sure about STD walk I am 66 and my husband is 67 and we have never had any other partners I have had a Fluconazole tablet no improvement
It’s a mystery hopefully the swabs will show something
Thank you for all your help
Ann C

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »

It's clearly something one is triggering in the other and round it goes. The GUM clinics are there for all sorts of genital issues, not just STDs. I hope the swabs help, but, yes, would need to be from both of you. I wonder if you are both sensitive to the Ovestin. Must be distressing so hope it gets sorted for you both soonest.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »

STD Clinics are for all ages ;-).

canestan made me burn,  I had to sit in a cool bath for hours  :-\

LIVE yoghurt can help, eaten and applied.  Let us know how you get on .........

Ann c

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »

Thank you for all your advice I really appreciate it
Will let you know results of my swabs
Ann C

Ann c

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »

Hi all
First I have to say you have all been absolutely brilliant with all the help and advice you have given me
Thank you.
I have had the results of the swabs and they are normal, my GP diagnosis is Atrophic vaginitis and prescribed more ovestin. My symptoms have improved but she thinks they will not go back to symptom free. Has anyone else suffered from Atrophic vaginitis?
Once again thank you
Ann C

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »

Vaginal atrophy? Common due to loss of oestrogen which may cause the body to become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, skin, vagina ....... do read our 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads. Make notes  ;)

As long as appropriate treatment is given and that treatment is continued regularly, VA can certainly be controlled.  I know my symptoms: a feeling of a full bladder as well as a weird feeling under my belly button; constipation doesn't help; the need2P can be eased by 'nurofen' or similar swallowed 3 times a day for 3 days.

Let us know how you get on.  Use the 'ovestin' every night for at least 3 weeks ;-). 

I'm glad that thrush has been ruled out.

Ann c

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »

Hi really sorry to keep asking for advice
Does VA ever clear up permanently or do we have to learn to live with it and try and manage the symptoms. My GP have emailed me saying only come back if my symptoms have not improved significantly or if I start bleeding.
I am using  ovestin twice a week, can you use this externally as well internally and will this do me any harm long term 
I really appreciate your help and advice as you have helped more than my GP it’s good to know I’m not on my own THANKS.
AnnC

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »

As VA is due to lack of oestrogen, it is chronic and will need permanent maintenance. But this is fine, we do the same for our faces, teeth, etc. You can try using the Ovestin three times a week, and can also use some externally. It is very low dose and will not do you any harm. If things don't improve your GP may want to try you on Vagifem, in which case you can still use Ovestin externally. Perhaps a good vaginal moisturiser and/or a barrier ointment such as Hydromol or Epaderm might also help.

There is a private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group which is well worth joining.

JP x

Ann c

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »

Thank you