Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sore tongue.....could I be allergic?  (Read 1450 times)

jasmine5

Sore tongue.....could I be allergic?
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »

I started on the Estrogel and Urtrogestan regime recently and the very first day of use I woke up with a very sore tongue with red, raised taste buds and the odd tiny ulcer.  I don’t know if it’s an allergic reaction to the gel/capsules or could it be something else such as acid reflux caused by the capsules.  I’m so disappointed and fed-up trying to find a preparation that I can actually tolerate for more than a few months. Would like to know anyone has had a similar problem with Estrogel and Utrogestan please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sore tongue.....could I be allergic?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 08:38:09 PM »

I don't know anything about that regime.  R these for oral use  :-\

I have acid reflux but fortunately not troubled by tongue ulcers etc.. 

jasmine5

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »

Yes you take one progesterone capsule every night and two pumps of gel.  Going to take an antihistamine tablet to see if it helps. 

Lamplighter

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »

Jasmine5, it may not even be the oestrogen/progesterone - I have found that I react to something called hypromellose which is endemic as an excipient in medications (a lot of HRT tablets contain it, and Vagifem has it to the nth degree - caused me a lot of bad vulval burning), so I wondered if you aren't reacting to something else in the composition of the hrt?  I looked up the ingredients of utrogrestan and the only obvious allergen is soya - are you allergic or react to soy?

To be honest I've read about so many negative reactions to progesterone on here that it's more than likely that the utrogestan would be the culprit.  Then again, perhaps it's entirely coincidental?  Something else you ate or drank or came into contact with?  Just throwing ideas out...

Hope it's a one off and clears up quickly xx

LL

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 08:22:32 AM »

I worried about you in the early hours  :-\ as well as my rather vague response.

Learns something every day I does, didn't realise that Urtrogestan is 4 oral use  ::).

It could as suggested be a reaction to the packaging around the active ingredient causing reflux = sore tongue.  How is it this morning?

jasmine5

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »

CLKD thank you for caring! 😜. I took an antihistamine and a Lanzoprazole last night but it’s still quite sore today,  I’ve never been allergic to anything before and It doesn’t look any different apart from a few red, raised taste buds, but it feels as if I’ve burnt it on something hot.  I’ll give it a few more days to see if it improves, if not then I might have to go back to the Evorel patches and put up with the bloating and extremely sore breasts!  Can anyone please suggest a regime which I haven’t tried?  I’m 62, no periods for 9 years and so tired of it all!  Hrt Ive tried so far.........

Estrogel/Utrogestan
Evorel conti
Femseven conti
Estrado/Utrogestan

daisie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »

hi jasmine ,it is a symptom of menopause having a sore burning tongue i get it myself it feels like when you have burnt your tongue when having a hot drink

jasmine5

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »

Hi Daisie...I’m aware of Burning Tongue Syndrome, but is it too much of a coincidence that it appeared the very day I started on the new Hrt regime as I was fine the day before? 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 11:22:20 AM »

I remembered this very minute: what toothpaste do you use?  Some cause me to have burning mouth immediately: eating bananas, chocolate ...... cheese.  Intense burning for about 20 mins. that no amount of water relieves!  SLSulphate ? Now I use sensodyne it isn't as bad.

jasmine5

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »

I use Sensodyne and have done for many years! I’ve decided I’m definitely trying the progesterone via the vaginal route for a week or so with the hope that my tongue problem clears up.  I’m actually feeling quite good today apart from this issue.  I’ve had good nights sleep, have plenty of energy, feel happy etc, so hopefully this is the Estrogel starting to kick-in!  Alas the progesterone is another matter.......

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »

Do U have 'bonjela', if so smear some onto the tongue and round your gums.