Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Scotland and HRT  (Read 1532 times)

Kiki2004

• First Flush
Scotland and HRT
« on: May 24, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »

Hi,

Having read lots of posts on HRT on this brilliant forum, there is one thing that I am curious about.  In lots of available information (out with this forum) it refers to the ‘old’ progesterone as being slightly riskier for Breast Cancer and recommending the newer body identical progesterone Utrogestan.  Now as many of you fellow Scottish ladies know Utrogestan is not licensed for HRT use north of the border.

I am just interested, what HRT do Scottish ladies usually use / receive prescriptions for?

I have a prescription (although only one months worth??!) of Evorel Sequi which I will be starting in the next couple of months. (I currently am low on iron and have tablets and I want to ‘feel better’ with the iron situation before I start on the HRT as I want to know what my perimenopause symptoms are rather than low iron symptoms.)  I have no issues in taking the Evorel Sequi but I am just interested to know what Scottish ladies are taking as I know friends in England who seem convinced that we should all be taking Utrogestan and seem to think that this is their only option.

Thanks.

sheila99

Re: Scotland and HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »

Their only option - I think much of this is that most (all?) conti patches are only available as a 50mg dose so if you need a different dose you need a separate progestogen. Many GPs seem reluctant to prescribe 'patch and half' type doses. Utrogeston isn't all it's cracked up to be, I get fatigue on it but had no side effects from evorel conti patches. Evorel is prescribed as the first option in my surgery (in England), I only changed because I developed an allergic reaction to it.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »

Sorry, can't help with this as am in Scotland, but not in need of progesterone due to hysterectomy. You'll hopefully get a fellow Scot to help you with the practicalities and everyone here has experience of the pros and cons to inform you. Good luck!

Kiki2004

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:50:52 PM »

Thank you Postmeno3 & Sheila99 for your responses. I am hoping that the Evorel Sequi will suit me as I would be rubbish at remembering to take tablets daily! Patches would be easier, but just wondering what my other options would be if I don’t agree with the progesterone patch. It seems to be very limited. I have read that Utrogestan seems to give some people some horrible side effects. It seems to be all that my friends South of the border use though.

Cookie25

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:27:28 PM »

Hi Kiki2004

I'm in Scotland and have just started HRT for the first time at 46 although I've been peri for at least 6 years but wasn't taken seriously.

I asked to be referred to a meno clinic after advice from ladies on here and am just starting my third month on everol sequi. I am to try the first three months on half patches and then be reviewed. I was also given vagifem which is working well.

I've had no really bad side effects and only had some the first month when I felt really crampy before my bleed. I started the first month of patches after a natural bleed and my cycle has stayed pretty regular.

I'd definitely say give them a go as many ladies on here like them. I'm hoping to feel the benefits of them soon.
Take care C xxx

Kiki2004

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »

Thanks Cookie25. I’m very similar aged and would say I have been suffering symptoms for a similar timescale. Also on Vagifem. I had a GP tell me categorically that it wouldn’t be menopause and more likely to be cancer. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Fortunately she was a locum and I then managed to see a Nurse Practitioner who was much more sensible!

Covid definitely hasn’t made it easy though to get appointments. I might phone her to check about 1/2 patch before I start taking them.  Thanks for the advice.  Fingers crossed I’ll cope ok with them.