Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: antidepressents  (Read 1722 times)

daisie

antidepressents
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »

hi ladies .can you help me out here im still struggling with anxiety and depression i was taking amitriptyline for a long time but stopped them as they seem to have stopped working on me doctors has tried me on different types of antidepressants in the SSRIs class.have bad side effects from them is there anyone of you taking the older type of antidepressants the tricyclic class do they help you if so which one are you taking thanks daisie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: antidepressents
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:30:49 AM »

I had dreadful problems with acute nausea when I began in the 1980s.  Went through 5 SSRIs until we found 1 that suited.

I now take escitalopram - 10mg at night, 5mg in the morning.  No problems..  It can take 2-3 months B4 the brain begins to benefit: the longer the depression, the longer it may take the brain to respond. 

Which would you like to ease first?  Anxiety 4 me is totally separate to my depression and is my biggest problem so I have an 'as necessary' pill to take.

Betablockas taken daily can also relief anxiety surges. 

daisie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »

hi clkd iv tried citalopram in the past  they made me feel sick and worse  is there much difference between escitalopram and citalopram x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »

Same family I think.  It was the nausea that I could never work through ......... within 36 hours I had to stop those!

daisie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »

yes same with me with the nausea thanks for your reply x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »

What do you intend to do?  Sometimes drugs are given at too higher dose so that the nausea is relentless, perhaps discuss with either a Pharmacist or your GP?

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »

What do you intend to do?  Sometimes drugs are given at too higher dose so that the nausea is relentless, perhaps discuss with either a Pharmacist or your GP?

So true. I've been on citalopram on and off for years. The standard dose of 20mg is way too high especially for a woman as we tend to be smaller. Enough to knock out a horse. 10mg or even 5mg does the trick for me. Having said that, they invariably drag you to hell for the first month - 6 weeks until they start to work.

Daisie, have you tried any SNRI's? I know a number of people have had success with Venlafaxine.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:48:58 PM by CherrySG »

daisie

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »

hi cherry yes iv tried those as well i had same problem with nausea im calling the doctor back today the only ones that dont cause me nausea was the amitriptyline but they stopped working for me was ok for sleep tho x

daisie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »

im calling the doctors today see what they can offer x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »

Let us know how you get on?

daisie

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »

hi clkd got a prescription for paroxatine starting it today iv looked it up thats another ssri ill give it a try and see x

CherrySG

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:44 AM »

Good luck Daisie! Hope it works for you.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »

It may take a few days B4 you notice any effects.  Try not to look for side-effects, though every niggle will be due to the new medication  ::).  MayB keep notes?

daisie

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:38:59 AM »

Good luck Daisie! Hope it works for you.
thank you cherry x

daisie

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »

It may take a few days B4 you notice any effects.  Try not to look for side-effects, though every niggle will be due to the new medication  ::).  MayB keep notes?
thanks clkd still on them will let you know if theres any improvement x