Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 4316 times)

Jules

Re: Facebook
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2024, 11:50:24 AM »

I see the most private things ftom children's lives, like one sat on a potty because she finally asked to use it. They wouldn't do that about themselves on the loo.

KaraShannon

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2024, 02:03:41 PM »

It's the section called Private Lives. Threads posted there can only be read by members rather than being open to the whole of the internet. I think it says it's for sexual problems but we also use it for things that are more personal such as relationship and family problems or mental health.

Interesting Taz2, so I can see that forum because I'm a member, the rest of the internet can't?

That's good.  It's a start. 

Taz2

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2024, 08:33:02 AM »

It's the section called Private Lives. Threads posted there can only be read by members rather than being open to the whole of the internet. I think it says it's for sexual problems but we also use it for things that are more personal such as relationship and family problems or mental health.

Interesting Taz2, so I can see that forum because I'm a member, the rest of the internet can't?

That's good.  It's a start.

Yes that's right.  :)

Peach8

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2024, 08:33:34 PM »

I'd suggest setting up an account with a fake name, set everything to private so in security make sure your details are visible to "only me". Set the account up with as little information as possible, don't post anything unless it's questions within your support groups. Some groups allow the option to post anonymously as well. Don't add a profile picture, don't add friends and turn off the option for people to friend request you. It'll take a bit of time to go through all the settings but it's worth doing if you want to be as invisible as possible.  Hope that helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2024, 08:37:39 PM »

:thankyou:

KaraShannon

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2024, 10:49:47 AM »

I'd suggest setting up an account with a fake name, set everything to private so in security make sure your details are visible to "only me". Set the account up with as little information as possible, don't post anything unless it's questions within your support groups. Some groups allow the option to post anonymously as well. Don't add a profile picture, don't add friends and turn off the option for people to friend request you. It'll take a bit of time to go through all the settings but it's worth doing if you want to be as invisible as possible.  Hope that helps.

The whole thing is confusing to me.  I was reading this morning on Reddit some people who have attempted to create a totally private facebook page that's not linked to any of their other accounts.  Their knowledge of how to do that is way beyond me.

You seem to have 2 types of people these days on the subject of privacy.  Those who are suspicious if you want to be private, what are you hiding.  And those who want to be totally private because they see others' access to their lives as an invasion if it's not invited (and if there's undue interest).

I'm of the second camp.  I know there are dark and secretive people out there, but I just want a degree of bullet proof privacy to protect myself from those.  I'm not afraid of real physical threat or identity theft or anything, it's just the principle that my life is my own.

We are supposed to be more connected these days but with the lack of privacy I find I'm way more disconnected as I won't discuss anything openly with anyone online. 

edited to add that I came on here to reply to Peach8 and ranted at a tangent instead  ;D  so the reply is the problem with a fake name, etc, tried that but there's a lot of blocks along the way, having to provide ID etc.  I don't want to go against facebook I just want privacy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 10:52:34 AM by KaraShannon »

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2024, 02:22:40 PM »

Rant away.  It's easy to get the keyboard warriors 'going' on FB  ;D, even those who I know personally and who wouldn't speak to me 'like that' face2face.

This morning some1 told me that they live at our address  ;D after I complained, in general, about barking dogs from 6.30 a.m.  >:(.  As I don't recognise her name I can't go talk to her about hers,  ::) I actually don't think that they are.  My dogs never barked unless there was a strange about in the night, visitors at the door were coming to see her not us  :D

KaraShannon

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2024, 02:35:04 PM »

visitors at the door were coming to see her not us  :D

Exactly.  No one should create noise that could wake people up at that time.  It can ruin the whole day for someone.  It would for me, i wouldn't be able to get back to sleep at that time and would have to get up soon.  I hate that more than being woken late at night because at least then there's still the rest of the night to go back to sleep.

Peach8

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2024, 07:32:17 PM »

The whole thing is confusing to me.  I was reading this morning on Reddit some people who have attempted to create a totally private facebook page that's not linked to any of their other accounts.  Their knowledge of how to do that is way beyond me.

You seem to have 2 types of people these days on the subject of privacy.  Those who are suspicious if you want to be private, what are you hiding.  And those who want to be totally private because they see others' access to their lives as an invasion if it's not invited (and if there's undue interest).

I'm of the second camp.  I know there are dark and secretive people out there, but I just want a degree of bullet proof privacy to protect myself from those.  I'm not afraid of real physical threat or identity theft or anything, it's just the principle that my life is my own.

We are supposed to be more connected these days but with the lack of privacy I find I'm way more disconnected as I won't discuss anything openly with anyone online. 

edited to add that I came on here to reply to Peach8 and ranted at a tangent instead  ;D  so the reply is the problem with a fake name, etc, tried that but there's a lot of blocks along the way, having to provide ID etc.  I don't want to go against facebook I just want privacy.

Hi KaraShannon. I've read some of those reddit posts and that level of anonymity is quite extreme. The level I was referring to didn't hide your contact details from Facebook necessarily, it was about not being traceable on the platform by other users. Several people on my friends list have fake names, they are school teachers and don't want to be added by pupils. They still have many friends and post a lot of photos, they just can't be searched for using their real name. I haven't tried it personally so I'm not sure how it's done and my fb page was set up so long ago that I can't remember what is required. I choose to be very selective about what I post, nothing is deeply personal and I rarely post anything to groups because I just don't like people knowing my business. I'm not ashamed of my meno journey but I absolutely do not want the 25 year old guy from work seeing that information.  Some groups give the option to post as "anonymous member" but not all. I've seen other people question their choice to do that though on the assumption that something untoward is going on, seems you can't win. I choose to post on this platform because my real name isn't visible and because we are all here for much the same reason.  I guess it's all down to personal choice really.  Unless you have an unusual or uncommon name, you could probably set up a "real" fb account, post nothing, add nobody, hide all info, block people from adding you etc. If there's nothing on your page to see and no photos then people aren't going to be able to tell if that's the Kara Shannon they know or another Kara Shannon on the other side of the world. I hope that makes sense. At the end of the day, it really comes down to what lengths you want to go to and what you're willing to share and what exactly you are looking to gain from said app. If the possibility of being visible at all bothers you then not having an account is the only way to guarantee it.  Don't know about you but I feel I'm getting left behind when it comes to technology as things change so quickly x

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2024, 07:37:11 PM »

I've been asked to add my photo by a few people in the village ........ which was intimidating.

Peach8

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2024, 08:08:47 PM »

Many people use a pet or a scenic picture. It's your account, your choice. I had a friend thought I'd blocked them because I removed a profile pic. You could easily go stir crazy over thinking it.

CLKD

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2024, 01:43:19 PM »

;D. I've really put the wooden spoon in our local group by reporting a drone, which hovered over our gardens yesterday.  When I shouted at it the thing was whisked away - the user was un-sighted and we heard car doors all morning, stopping and driving on: with the sound of grass trimmers so we didn't think much of that: until this thing appeared! sounding like a grass trimmer.

After I put a warning on FB all vitriol crept out of the woodwork.  Mods had to step in as some was slanderous!  The Government and CAA websites have different guidelines: the former states the Law around flying and CAA gives 'guidance'.   >:(

I fight on  ;D not 1 to miss an opportunity.  What I did as a warning as it may be criminals - which someone asked me to prove !!! - seeing who has back doors open or sheds full of stuff!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]