Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Reaction to HRT ??  (Read 1466 times)

mumandwife

Reaction to HRT ??
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:12:03 PM »

Yesterday the Dr upped my Estrodot patch from 75 to 100.  She also changed me from Provera to Utrogestan.
I put a new patch on in the afternoon and around 10pm took 2 x 100mg Utrogestan capsules.

I woke up a couple of hours later with a very bloated and gassy feeling stomach and I was in so much pain.  I also felt very nauseaus.  This carried on all night and I don't think I've ever felt so sick or in pain (oh, apart from the 6 births!!!!).

My first thought was that I was having a reaction to the new patch and Utrogestan but then I wondered if it was something I'd eaten.  I had a Big Mac and Fries for dinner .... and no, I've never had food poisoning before so not sure what that feels like.

I had no vomiting (although felt like it alot) and no diarreah.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a similar reaction to HRT???  ...  OR could this maybe be food poisoning - without vomitting and diarreah?

This morning I feel blah, stomach still feels gassy but not painful. 

I'm a bit nervous about trying those Utrogestan capsules again tonight - eek.

Thanks,

tammiegurl

Re: Reaction to HRT ??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 08:17:51 PM »

Last night I changed from femoston tablet to a patches and woke up this morning just blah so I think its probably the same with you due to the change (even though it's different brands etc) I'm going to keep persevering  ( even though I feel yuck) for a few more days and hope it settles

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »

It does take a while to get used to a new HRT but I'm wondering if the utrogestan may be the cause. I think that nausea and stomach problems etc are mentioned as a side effect? It's possible to use utrogestan vaginally which may help with the nausea if it continues and I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this will be along soon. You could always use the search box to find other posts on utrogestan. I hope you feel better soon and get a good night's sleep.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

mumandwife

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:36:04 PM »

Do you think I could reduce to taking 1 x 100 pill tonight orally and see how it goes - or am I not allowed to mess with the dose like that?

mumandwife

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:19:35 PM »

Can we choose how much to take? 

I'm taking it 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off so Dr prescribed 2 x 100 caps each night.
Are we allowed to just drop it down if we want?  Does it still give enough protection to the lining of the uterus?

I'm taking it with the patch 75.

Thanks.

mumandwife

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:41 PM »

Not sure what you mean re: digestion will love you?

I think the reason I have to go 2wks on and 2wks off is due to being peri not past meno.  So, I don't get to choose how to take the pills.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 11:43:59 PM »

I see in your past posts that you were having spotting on the last HRT so the doc suggested a cyclical one to see if that was better? At the age of 55 are considered post-menopause for the purpose of HRT prescribing. With continuous HRT it is normal to get spotting during the first six months. I'm not sure you were on the other regime for. The cyclical one is 200mg for two weeks and the continuous is 100mg every night....I think... Not sure if this is helpful or not!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 11:48:44 PM »

This is the part I mean in your first post

"A change to Utrogestan - which Dr agreed to, however she had no idea of dosage etc.  I had to tell her I'd been continually spotting on the continuous Provera, so she decided on cyclical....and I told her I'd seen Drs giving 100mg 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and suggested I could try vaginally.  She seemed happy with this and prescribed it."

She seems to have prescribed 200mg when she agreed with your request for 100mg but cyclical is 200mg I think and this may have been where it's got a bit mixed up. I hope you get this sorted soon and begin to feel much better.

Taz x