Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi..new here  (Read 5606 times)

5hellsbells

Hi..new here
« on: March 10, 2021, 12:10:04 PM »

Hi..im Shelly..and will be 45 in July..i eventually contacted dr yesterday after yet another bout of anxiety..on top ofvarious other symptons over past year and a bit (change in cycle, mild flushes..some night sweats..sore legs at night..bouts of anxiety..and the dreaded insommnia)

Spoke to dr re symptoms..he had me go in for bloods yesterday..but also prescribed sertraline for my anxiety. He did explain it might me feel worse for a few weeks....but reading the leaflet terrified me..it looks like it could be making myself a lot worse for 2 weeks while i wait blood test results..so think i just want to wait and see what happens from that (he spoke a lot about HRT)

Any tips for the dreaded insommnoa would be much appreaciated..i feel like i like in bed and my body rests...but my mind and heart races...

Hilly

• First Flush
Re: Hi..new here
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »

Hello, I'm also new  :)
I'm 42 and I had my bloods done last Autumn after my periods stopped in June. I also had mild hot flushes, headaches, dizzyness and tiredness plus anxiety. After two lots of bloods it showed I was post menopausal.
I can relate about the insomnia, sometimes my mind just races. Sometimes i find it helps if I just stop focusing on the thoughts and instead focus on the rhythm of my breathing but i know it's hard!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

For bad anxiety appropriate medication is a must.  People usually have good results with Sertraline.  Don't read the leaflets, it will tell you everything that 'might' happen including the end of the World.! 

What's the worst that can happen?  I have used 'rescue remedy' mouth remedy successfully too.  Relaxation therapy can help, it needs to be practiced.  Tighten and relax all the muscle groups from the feet upwards, when in bed.  Cortisol, the waking hormone, was my biggest enemy  :'(

HRT can also help.  It can be Trial and Error, so mayB appropriate anti-anxiety medication until 1 feels better, then discuss which HRT may be helpful.  Some ADs can help anxiety surges too.

Put 'insomnia' into the search box.  Apparently 'nytol'  :sick02:  :-X can encourage sleep short term.

:welcomemm:  both.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:08:15 PM »

My advice is to ask for hrt. My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, completely gone now but it did take 3 months on HRT. I was offered ADs too before hrt I refused them. He should prescribe it based on all the meno symptoms you have without the blood test (and since when did they take a fortnight?).

5hellsbells

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »

Thanks ladies..

Sorry..i didnt mean the blood tests would take a fortnight..he said i might feel worse for a fortnight taking those meds...but when i read the leaflet...those 2 weeks feel like to much of a gamble,when there may be a better option just a bit later (he also refered me to this website..)
I dont even know when ill get blood results..tho he did mention they will be repeated in 4 weeks?
(Hope that makes sense x)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 04:13:07 PM »

Oh at least the GP knows about us  8)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »

I agree with Sheila.
Sounds like menopause to me.
I, like so many others are offered antidepressants before hrt, which I declined, ( I had them in peri, and had a bad episode with them) so asked for hrt, and with trial and error, trying different ones out, I settled on the tablet form. All my symptoms settled and now I’m virtually back to how I used to be.
Don’t get me wrong, antidepressants are brilliant if you really need them, but doctors are so quick to dish them out BEFORE hrt.
Some ladies take both, with brilliant results, so don’t rule them out completely.
I’m sure if the hrt didn’t settle my anxiety to a point where I couldn’t handle it anymore, I’d be on some sort of antidepressant or anti anxiety medication by now. But luckily, the hrt has worked for me.
For sleeping, you could try that night nurse remedy, it’s advertised on the tele, or an antihistamine.
I actually take antihistamine, not only does it make me sleep, but it kicks my tiny amounts of anxiety back into touch when that rears it ugly head too. I’d rather take that, every so often, than antidepressants.
Keep going, you will,  get through this crap time.
Oh and welcome, glad you’ve found us.  :welcomemm:

Jd xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »

:thankyou:  Jd

5hellsbells

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »

Thanks everyone..

Just back from my smear. Some blood results are back..sugar levels ok..and bloodwork (i think she said) normal. BP is good but ive lost a bit or weight..

I explained about the tablets...she said to speak to Dr again as the reason he wanted to see/speak in 4 weeks was to see how i was on the tablets..so to let them know i dont want to go take that route now..hopefullly get to speak to them 2moro 🤞

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »

Let us know how you get on?  MayB make a decision about which symptom you would like to ease first?

5hellsbells

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 10:45:47 AM »

Thank you..i will..

5hellsbells

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »

Thanks for you help ladies..

Just of the phone to dr...my bloods are all good..the hormone she says they measure is normal at 11..

She thinks its to early for HRT..i discussed the tablets i was prescribed and my reluctance to take them..so she has suggested the mini pill.

Im feeling a bit better now...and at least it gave me the kick up the backside i needed to get my smear test done! 👍

Thank you again x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »

It is never too early for menopause  :bang: :bang: :bang:

If you have symptoms ?!?  In fact, at 45 you need to protect your bones, heart etc..  MayB keep a mood/symptom/food diary and decide which symptom you would like to ease?  In 3 weeks ring and ask for HRT ;-).  If they refuse, ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a gynaecologist.

5hellsbells

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »

Her main reason was my periods are still regular (even if they do vary in flow/length etc)

Shes suggested this...but told me to contact them at any time if i feel the need to...she was really nice and im prob missing a lot she said..i get so nervous during appointments...

Thank you tho..ill keep all this in mind..this forum has been amazing the last few days x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 11:49:56 AM »

You are not too early especially if your periods are waxing and waning, usually the beginning of peri-menopause. How will the mini-pill help?  [clueless in Norfolk here  ;D ]
Pages: [1] 2