Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy and biopsy with in-situ Mirena coil  (Read 1303 times)

Grheliz1

Hysteroscopy and biopsy with in-situ Mirena coil
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »

I have a query and was wondering if anyone could help...

If you have a hysteroscopy and biopsy with a pre-existing Mirena coil fitted, do they have to take the coil out to carry out the procedure?

The practice nurse who fitted my Mirena five weeks ago said that they would take it out during the hysteroscopy. Is this because they wouldn't be able to get through the cervix with the strings taking up some of the space, or because the coil might obscure some of the endometrium?

Or is it actually not the case at all? I wondered if she was muddling up a hysteroscopy with a hysterectomy.

Thanks to anyone who knows!

Grheliz1

Re: Hysteroscopy and biopsy with in-situ Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:47:20 AM »

In case anyone else ever needs to know the answer to this: at my hysteroscopy and biopsy yesterday, the consultant didn't need to remove the Mirena. There was some discussion to do with probe/camera to be used.

The poor practice nurse had spent so long inserting the thing just six weeks ago, with speculums breaking, etc, that I would have felt bad for her if her hard work had been whisked out.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »

Thanks for the information Grheliz and hope the outcome is OK for you :)

Hurdity x

Grheliz1

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 07:59:37 PM »

:) thanks !