Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT advice please-speaking to GP today, again!  (Read 918 times)

Sunriser

HRT advice please-speaking to GP today, again!
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:47:28 AM »

Hi, can anyone give me some advice please? Menopause symptoms-fatigue, muscle pain, weight gain, insomnia, mood swings, irritable, feeling warmer but no hot flushes or sweats.
I have a pre-existing chronic illness and had started to make some progress but since menopause the fatigue is crippling me, I can no longer walk (mobility had improved slightly prior to meno) and have gained 9lbs which will not shift for me.
Side effects of HRT with
gel (sweats & fatigue)
Oral (sweats & fatigue)
Now my latest attempt is with evorel sequi and I finally notice the fatigue lifting but I’ve got diarrhoea.
Will this side effect ease over time or will it continue?
I’m very sensitive to all meds in general but I feel that I’m on the right track with the patch. So far it’s been the best for me to see any improvement. I’ve had more energy and am sleeping like a log lol
Can’t have mirena fitted as I had uterus ablation to alleviate heavy periods.

Taz2

Re: HRT advice please-speaking to GP today, again!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:50 AM »

That sounds really miserable for you. Gastric symptoms are unusual with patch hrt as it's delivered straight into the blood stream and not metabolised by the liver. Could it be more diet related or possibly a bug?

I wonder what other medication you are on for your health condition. Any changes there which may account for your symptoms?

I hope you manage to become more mobile again soon and that you have help with tasks etc.

Taz x  :hug:

Sunriser

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »

Thanks Taz, gastric issues are one of the many “joys” of menopause. First discovered at a wedding when I (too late) found out I couldn’t drink Prosecco or any type of fizz  :o it’s all been downhill since then. Really sensitive guts.
I had constipation before this and doc got me to get blood tests.
Will see what GP says. I’d like to stay on the patch as it’s overall been helping me.

Sunriser

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:54 AM »

Spoke to GP who has never had anyone who had diarrhoea with HRT and is recommending we continue to investigate the diarrhoea/constipation.
 8)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »

It would be unusual for transdermal hrt to cause it. Is it all the time or just on the progesterone phase? I would keep a food diary to see if there's any correlation, allergies and intolerances can start at any time and aren't unusual at this time.

Sunriser

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I have so much already going on with me due to the chronic illness and have a restricted diet anyway due to severe intolerances, I did notice that more and more food is irritating me. Meno has definitely ramped all of that up, will keep at it, see what the tests results reveal (if anything!). The patch is helping me with the insomnia and it follows that my energy is a bit better too.  :)

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:40:18 PM »

Sunriser, it's not unusual to experience loose bowels with the menopause and if you take a look around this forum, you will see it is a problem that comes up on here a lot.   A member recently had diarrhoea after starting Estradot 75 mcg and it happened to me when I experimented with a mega high dose.

If your doctor is offering a stool test then you might as well take her up on it but my advice would be to have a FIT test and a calprotectin test.   The two together are very reliable when ruling out something more serious and it avoids more invasive checks.