Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: A-Levels  (Read 1713 times)

Yorkshire Girl

A-Levels
« on: August 13, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »

Well my teenager got his A-level results on-line at 8am he is happy with the results but he still wants to appeal, what he's unhappy with is the way it's all been handled. His college did Mock exams under proper exam conditions, the college even get the examining body to write the papers so they are not using old papers. He got A in Politics (Mock result was A*) B in Economics and Distinction* for his BTech in IT so proud of him.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: A-Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »

Well done!   :medal: all that hard work!    I was never clever enough to do 'A' Levels.  DH did and went to Uni., I took a job ........

Don't you think that all Students should have taken new exams. in September to put them on a level playing field? When I hear how apparently mocks are manipulated to get the students to work harder  >:( - how much of this is OFSTED led?  It isn't as though the education authorities didn't know early enough that exams were unlikely to go ahead?

One lad has had his Uni placement withdrawn due to him not getting what is required, now call me old fashioned but surely Unis are now reliant on Student numbers for funding? so surely an Interview would be in order?  However, many do not understand how much chance there actually is of getting a job at the end of a Course ............ unless 1 got a First, in my day an interview was expected.

The way our young people have been treated in education over the last 30 years makes me angry.  Get rid of the curriculum - why should all pupils sit down to the same lesson at the same time across the country in order to satisfy government rules?  Get rid of these HUGE schools.  Stream children within their abilities and allow them to move up when they are ready.  Make teaching fun for staff and pupils. Life is stressful enough without being expected to please others. 

Some of those lessons are probably inappropriate to a few areas where they are taught .......... local education in Infants and Primary followed by a wider view in senior school.  Not all kids are academic so more should be spent on letting them learn what they enjoy doing.  I still can't add up or take away so working in a shop has been impossible, I eventually became a secretary.  Not what I wanted to do but the jobs took me places I would never have gone ........ met people etc.. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:08:26 PM by CLKD »

Barnacle

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »

They are great results, YG!  Well done, to your DS   :)

Two hoots

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »

Well done  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »

DH and I have been talking about this all week intermittently.  By the time our results arrived in August, school was out and we were already at work.  They arrived in a brown envelope in the post.  I opened mine immediately to get 'it' over with  ::).  No gap years ............

Other exam results were posted on notice boards around the College, that was awful as others often knew B4 I did  :-\.  Worse than that brown envelope.

How will you all be celebrating? 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:01:16 PM by CLKD »