Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: From Provera to Utrogestan - some bleeding  (Read 1178 times)

CherrySG

From Provera to Utrogestan - some bleeding
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »

I've been on HRT for nearly 7 months now. I started out on Utrogestan and Estrogel, then after a couple of months went onto Provera as the Utrogestan was making me very tired.

I spent a few months on Provera but wasn't keen to take it long-term as it causes bone-thinning (just what we meno-chicks need  :o)). I have been back on Utrogestan for a week and started with some spotting yesterday and also today, which is quite pronounced. Enough to stain pants, not enough to wear a pad.

I guess if it goes on beyond a week I should call the doctor. Does anyone have any ideas in the meantime? Could I have a thickened endometrium or is it just a hormonal imbalance cause by changing from synthetic progestogen to 'bio-identical' utrogestan? Thanks.

By the way, my last period was 4 years ago - I'm 56.

Should I stop the oestrogel for a bit and take the utro by itself to thin lining?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:50:35 AM by CherrySG »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: From Provera to Utrogestan - some bleeding
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »

What does it say in the leaflet with the medication? 

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »

The information in the leaflet is rather confusing for someone in my situation,ie bleeding after more than 6 months could be a problem but on utrogestan for less than 6 months is not to be interpreted as a problem, ie conflicts somewhat. I've been on hrt 7 months but utrogestan for 1 week.

Unless anyone has any suggestions I guess I'll cut my oestrogel back to 2 pumps and if it doesn't go away after a week will call the gp.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »

Maybe put the product names into the search box to see what others do?  I hate that feeling of constant tiredness.

CherrySG

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »

I've tried 'bleeding' as a search and also looked on the whopping utrogestan and estrogel support thread. Some reassurance there perhaps.

I've been much less tired since I've been on the oestrogel and cut down my antidepressant. I know what you mean re the daily tiredness, which is why I've tried to get off citalopram a bunch of times but it always goes wrong in the end! Sleep on utrogestan is the best thing though, don't want to have to stop it  :) although it may make me tired again in the day as it builds up in system.

Just hope the spotting stops, possibly just an imbalance.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:39:52 PM by CherrySG »

CherrySG

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »

In case anyone finds this whilst having similar issues I'm happy to say it stopped after 3 days. Presumably just caused by change in type of progesterone.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »

Hi CherrySG - glad the bleeding stopped. Yes that is the most likely explanation. Once you are settled on the utro though if you later have any unexpected bleeding then you should visit your doc who may refer you for a scan to check the endometrium remains within normal limits.

Hurdity x