Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy  (Read 1442 times)

Ambergirl

Hysteroscopy
« on: July 18, 2020, 01:06:18 PM »

Hi Ladies,
I had a period after a 12 month absence - seemed totally normal to me but GP referred me for a hysteroscopy next week. I am pretty nervous to say the least. I have not had children, find smears painful and am not sexually active. I have some kind of prolapse - not seen the GP but he said it sounds like it - and have been using Vagifem since April. If I go the appointment can I just talk to the Dr. about it and can I ask they book me for something with sedation? My bladder feels like someone is resting their boot on it constantly and I am really fed up! Any advice gratefully received.

Bobidy

Re: Hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »

Hi

There are a few posts on here about this. Some ladies have found it painful, others haven't. Some have had sedation/anesthetic others haven't.

I haven't had children and found smears uncomfy and personally found it painful. The procedure doesn't last ages but you can get a bit of period pain type cramps after for a while too.

I wish I had been forewarned as I would at least have taken some pain killers beforehand, so I would definitely do that if I was you and take a sanitary towel with you, although I think they provided one. Ask somebody else to drive you if possible.

It's over and done with quite quickly so try not to worry too much but do go prepared for pain relief.

I'm sure others will be along soon with advice x

Ambergirl

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »

Thanks Bobidy - it does seem a good idea to be prepared as you said. My mother has had it done and she says I should just count it out! But then she has had 4 children! I know it's a good idea to have it done and get things checked out so will see how I feel on Thursday.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »

Hi Ladies,
I had a period after a 12 month absence - seemed totally normal to me but GP referred me for a hysteroscopy next week. I am pretty nervous to say the least. I have not had children, find smears painful and am not sexually active. I have some kind of prolapse - not seen the GP but he said it sounds like it - and have been using Vagifem since April. If I go the appointment can I just talk to the Dr. about it and can I ask they book me for something with sedation? My bladder feels like someone is resting their boot on it constantly and I am really fed up! Any advice gratefully received.
  I had one in May under general anaesthetic. I had tried it under local in February with painkillers in advance. Then they were able to check for polyps and fibroids but my cervix was too tight (also haven't had kids). Too painful. Sedation wasn't offered at all.

Sparkler

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »

Hi Ambergirl

When I had mine I was advised to take painkillers 30 to 60 mins beforehand and it helped. The gynae explained that some women find it really painful and some don’t, but there is no way of telling first. She just said I had to tell her if I needed her to stop.

We got through and it was certainly reassuring to have the all clear. Good luck with it all - it wasn’t nice but it didn’t last long:)
Sparkler
X

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »

I have recently done a thread about this.  I was referred for a scan and hysteroscopy last week. The scan showed a lining of 5mm which was over the 4mm recomendation so they wanted to do a biopsy and hysteroscopy without sedation. I was offered ibprofen and paracetamol. I refused and the consltant was not very happy about it.I know some people find the proceedure perfectly fine but I know how I react to having smears. I think different health authorities have different policies, but sedation is not an option locally, it my be for you. I was offered no alternative, simply take it or leave it. I came home and spoke to my dr who prescribed diazapan for me to take if I choose to go for another appointment.

Could you ring and express your concerns before the appt and see what they say? I know a scan is often offered but is not as detailed or conclusive, as no biopsy is involved.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:23:00 PM by shrosphirelass »

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:39:48 AM »

Hi Ambergirl. I'm in a similar position as yourself. I had my last period April 19 and I've just had a period at the end of June. I do have two children though and I am 50! I've got my hysteroscopy tomorrow. I was just told to take paracetamol and ibuprofen an hour or so before. I can't tell you nervous I am. my stomach is doing summersaults and if anyone mentions tomorrow, I will probably cry. I'm not really worrying so much about having it done, it's what it shows that's the worry for me. Good luck x

Ambergirl

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »

Good luck - I am sure you will be fine. Do let me know how you get on. All the best.

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »

Good luck - I am sure you will be fine. Do let me know how you get on. All the best.

#

Hi Ambergirl. All done. I've done a post on my experience. Lots of things I forget to mention. Once I sat in the room. The lady went over my scan results in detail. They know exactly how nervous we are and are very kind and calming, She explained everything she would be doing, I went behind a curtain, took my bottom half clothing off and sat on the chair with a cloth? covering my bits. The lady doing it said if at any time it hurts, tell me and I will stop. I was also offered something to numb the pain half way through but said I was OK.. She said I can look at the screen if I wanted to, I did. Got dressed and she told me what she'd seen (not a lot) and definitely put my mind at ease. Now I know what it's like, I would say don't worry, but it's never going to happen is it?! Good luck. You will be fine! x If you want to ask me anything, feel free :)

Ambergirl

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

Hi, glad your procedure went well. I haven't had any scans, got the referral simply because I rang the GP for advice as I had a period after a year without. I have to drive alone to the hospital as OH is extremely vulnerable and so is shielding. I hope that they might offer a scan or something first? If I can't face it I will tell them I need to have it done under some sedation and get a taxi home or something. Mine's 9.30 tomorrow. Hope it goes as well as yours. Thanks for your supporting words :)

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »

I had mine under general anesthetic as I knew I couldn't face it without.  I did not hat to stay overnight.  If you want one you have a right to have it. Don't let them fob you off.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »

suzysunday, I was offered no kind of sedation last week. I refused to have the proceedure done because of anxiety issue, so I came home. The only option they offered was for me to go to outpatients at another time still with no sedation, presumably when I had seen sense!

DelicateButterfly69

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »

Hi, glad your procedure went well. I haven't had any scans, got the referral simply because I rang the GP for advice as I had a period after a year without. I have to drive alone to the hospital as OH is extremely vulnerable and so is shielding. I hope that they might offer a scan or something first? If I can't face it I will tell them I need to have it done under some sedation and get a taxi home or something. Mine's 9.30 tomorrow. Hope it goes as well as yours. Thanks for your supporting words :)

Hi Ambergirl, I would have thought the scan was the first step. There might not be a need for a hysteroscopy, just the scans.  They don't hurt. She pressed a bit too hard on my pelvis, so that bit was uncomfy, but nothing unbearable, I promise. She offered me the vaginal one too. I wasn't keen on the idea, but I thought, I'm here now, I don't want the stress of coming back again and going through another appointment, so said OK. They ladies at the appointments are all lovely. They knew I was anxious, but they calmed me down. If it does get too much, you can have something, I can't remember what it was. I said no, I just wanted it over with as quickly as possible. It's over with quite quickly. It takes longer to go through the notes and the questions they have than the procedure. Remember, if at any point it's too much, you just say. They were constantly asking me how I was. And, worst case, if it is too much, you go back and have it done under general anesthetic.. Nobody will mind. Take care and good luck.  x

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 07:18:17 PM »

Hi shrosphirelass,. So sorry to hear about your experience.  I had mine a couple of years ago and found Katherine Tylko on line who campaigns for more awareness about what options are available at various health trusts, especially about hysteroscopy.  She was so helpful and I decided to ask my GP for a general anesthetic.  It certainly wasn't offered, I had to ask. The gp contacted the hospital and I was given one no question. 

Ambergirl

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »

Driving to hospital, phone call to say it's been double booked and so they have cancelled - gutted in a way. Had a sleepless night, dosed myself up with pills - all for nothing. Now have to wait to see when the next appointment is :(
Pages: [1] 2