Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone phase - coping long term  (Read 728 times)

Rosepetal73

Progesterone phase - coping long term
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »

So I took the plunge and have a 50mcg estrodot patch along with utrogestan for 14 days (taken vaginally for lesser side effects).  My symptoms were mainly mood related with the start of some mild flushes.  My question is if I feel almost as bad during the progesterone phase as I did before starting HRT what is the point in taking it?  Do I just accept that i’m going to feel low for half the time and what about when I move on to taking the progesterone continually!!  I suppose as I move through the menopause and physical symptoms become more pronounced the oestrogen will control those.  Just for some background history, I am 48, still have regular periods and have had issues with PMS/PND in the past
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:58:48 AM by Rosepetal73 »

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone phase - coping long term
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »

Hi Rosepetal if you're still having regular periods it's difficult to know what to say. Had you missed any at all and how regular is your natural cycle? if the progesterone is now tied in with your natural cycle then you will be adding to your own progesterone. The PND points to needing more oestrogen so this should help also with PMS. PMS can also involve progesterone intolerance (you would normally have symptoms throughout the second half of the natural menstrual cycle) and progesterone withdrawal (intense PMS symptoms after stopping the progesterone or just before you natural bleed before you started HRT).

There are other solutions eg a Mirena coil which delivers a steady dose of progestogen to the uterus without fluctuations but depends whether or not you are progesterone intolerant? Also there are COC pills which give oestrogen as estradiol - same as HRT, eventually suppress ovulation so levels remain more steady.

Even when you become post-menopausal, you don't necessarily need to make progesterone every day if it doesn't suit you, though you may find when your natural cycle has stopped, you are not so sensitivie as you will no longer be producing your own. The option remains to take it cyclically as several of us still do, unpalatable though that may be!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Mary G

Re: Progesterone phase - coping long term
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »

Rosepetal73, you are not alone, the progesterone component of HRT is very difficult to get right.  I can never take Utrogestan again, full stop.

You may well do better with a progesterone coil but if you have a history of progesterone related problems, it would be better to look at a lower dose coil like the Jaydess or the Kyleena.   Blue Kingfisher on here is currently trialling the Kyleena so you might want to read some of her posts.   

Obviously a lower dose coil means fewer side effects but you will need regular TVS uterine scans.