Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hot sweats  (Read 796 times)

Lynda07

Hot sweats
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is it ‘normal’ for hot sweats and night sweats to go on for years? They remain one of my most consistent and awful symptoms of the menopause - I have had them for around 5 years, which is also around the time of my last period. I literally drip with sweat which is so embarrassing, particularly  when I am at work and of course the night sweats stop me from getting a good nights sleep.

Thanks

Lynda

jaypo

Re: Hot sweats
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:51:16 PM »

Hi Lynda,I've had mine for years too,what gets to me most is in summer, I come out of the shower,dry myself,go to put body lotion on and my body is soaking again,really gets me down and I've tried every herbal remedy under the sun  :-\ I have a great fan though,it's a rechargeable one,not one of those rubbish twirly ones.You  get these ones on amazon,the fan bit is kinda encased and it's rectangular in shape,sorry,looked at mine and can't find a name on it but it blows really cool air
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:35:33 AM by jaypo »

Meg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:01:43 PM »

Dear Lynda

I am coming up to 66 and have been getting them since periods stopped at fifty.  Awful.

Love Meg

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is it ‘normal’ for hot sweats and night sweats to go on for years? They remain one of my most consistent and awful symptoms of the menopause - I have had them for around 5 years, which is also around the time of my last period. I literally drip with sweat which is so embarrassing, particularly  when I am at work and of course the night sweats stop me from getting a good nights sleep.

Thanks

Lynda

Hi Lynda07

Sorry to hear about your ongoing symptoms. Unfortunately for some women they do go on for years - there was a survey done not so long ago. Have you thought of HRT at all (if you're able to take it) - it works like magic for most women, once you find the right dose of the right product? There is really no need to suffer these days!

Hurdity x

Lynda07

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »

Thanks, as always for your replies which I find so supportive.

That is what gets me down Jaypo, I know exactly what you mean there. Or I try and put a bit of make up on and it’s ruined in a few minutes!

Meg, sorry to hear that, I do sometimes think mine will go on long term.

Hurdity, I did try two lots of HRT but neither suited me and I guess I gave up. Sage tablets worked well for a while but stopped.

Thanks again for replying x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

Sorry you are still suffering Lynda. As Hurdity says some women get them for years. HRT was the only think that stopped mine and I am still on it 13 years later (age 66 now) due to the fact they return when I have had to stop in the past, plus oestrogen makes me feel so much better overall. I'm sorry that you didn't find an HRT which suited you but if you want to give it another go there will be others you can try. I'm not sure how old you are?

Just to say a friend of mine is 76 and is still experiencing hourly sweats which began at the age of 50! She now wishes she had tried some form of  HRT but thought that they would eventually subside. Her doc is currently looking into the possibility of her trying a gel HRT with separate progesterone with the proviso that she understands the possible risks. I think this shows progress in the medical field as she is able to make her own informed decision rather than the more usual blanket response from a GP of "No - you are too old".

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »

Oh Lynda,yes,make up too,I'll go to put on foundation and my forehead is wet,so so annoying. I tried sage also and thought yay,it's working but only to realise it probably was a coincidence,as the flushes can come and go of their own accord,not too bad for a month or so then they're back with a vengeance,if you don't want to go the hrt route then get one of those fans,if you catch a flush before it takes hold,i find you can stop it.
Taz is correct though there are many hrt options so have a think  :)