Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122082 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5865 on: January 22, 2022, 12:54:28 PM »

It will halt Planning permission until a survey is done.  If it's funded by the Building Company, they will likely as not get the Plans passed  :-X

These surveys should be independent of Council and building companies  >:(

We had a heron on our roof early in the morning, thought initially that it was rodents.  Until someone walking their dog told us what it was.  Fortunately our ponds are netted.

We had summer roots here for years++, our boards needed replacing so we waited 2.5 years and the bats didn't return for some reason.  We had them replaced, put up bat boxes then the Bat Conservation Group wanted to see our paper work to make sure that we had sought permission.  Well no.  Actually.  My reply was that if a householder was unaware of bats being present ........ we heard no more.

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #5866 on: January 22, 2022, 02:40:02 PM »

Our previous landlord was keen on conservation and improving condition for wildlife. Our present landlord we do not trust one bit. We have not moved house in our ten years  here!

We live in an old house on the estate so it does have bats and owl and creatures living around it which we have local bat group and bird group check -- in case the landlord tells the agent to (quote) upgrade us (unquote) . It would be super for tempting in a new tenant with higher rent too of course. Bats would be nowhere in priorities and we would not,  either!

I read about letting squirrels go from rescue? If these  were grey it is still illegal in UK to do this and must be reminded about.

CLKD

« Reply #5867 on: January 22, 2022, 03:19:01 PM »

Nope.  Rescue centres such as Tiggy Winkles have a Special License  >:( to release non indigenous species. As do most Vets..  Which is why I don't support those that think it's OK to go against the Law with a Special License.

Gynaikeios - I would have the local Bat Group involved, on the quiet, to give advice.   ;)

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #5868 on: January 22, 2022, 04:55:21 PM »

Oh yes CLKD! There has been somebody to listen to bat chirps  ;)

I looked for law and see no special licence have been issued to release grey  squirrels since 2019 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/march-2019-update-invasive-non-native-species-and-grey-squirrels
The grey  squirrel which was captured in a humane cage in loft had to be destroyed which was in 2017.

Taz2

« Reply #5869 on: January 22, 2022, 07:05:04 PM »

Nope.  Rescue centres such as Tiggy Winkles have a Special License  >:( to release non indigenous species. As do most Vets..

Special Licences were ended in 2019. Nobody is allowed to release a grey squirrel back into the wild be it a rescue centre or a vet. It caused great heartache at our local rescue. It also includes Egyptian geese and muntjac deer.

CLKD

« Reply #5870 on: January 22, 2022, 08:50:08 PM »

:thankyou:  muntjac are OK with peas, mash, carrots, gravy .......  ;)

There's a large dog fox taking chickens in our village - probably due to the new builds driving them, as well as badgers, grass snakes, jays from the woodland which has been destroyed. 

Two hoots

« Reply #5871 on: January 25, 2022, 09:45:33 AM »

Saw a hedgehog in the garden again last night   :)

CLKD

« Reply #5872 on: January 25, 2022, 10:45:22 AM »

Did it look healthy?

Trap 1 - rat 0

Two hoots

« Reply #5873 on: January 25, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »

Yes it was a good size and would give Usain Bolt a good race  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5874 on: January 25, 2022, 12:37:22 PM »

;D

CLKD

« Reply #5875 on: January 31, 2022, 09:56:23 PM »

Vixen in our garden every night, last night she was chasing a cat so there was a lot of noise as they charged through the pots etc..  Hedgehog seen later gently eating ........

jaypo

« Reply #5876 on: February 03, 2022, 09:15:36 AM »

Was tickled pink yesterday,when I go out to feed the birds now, I stand by the feeder ever so still,just for 5 minutes or so and the birdies came right down close this time  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5877 on: February 03, 2022, 09:37:14 AM »

8)

Our robin flies in close ............ usually with starlings not far behind  :D.  My Dad had a blackbird that would hop into the lounge via the back door and sing at him  :-* until he got fed.

jaypo

« Reply #5878 on: February 06, 2022, 06:33:05 PM »

I have a moose loose aboot thise hoose!! Heard it behind the oven but my OH has done lots of handy work so's that it can't get in to the kitchen,last time we had them,they got into the cupboards and ate the chocolate  >:( which obviously meant war.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5879 on: February 06, 2022, 07:19:12 PM »

A moose, believe it or not, can squeeze where ever a pencil will fit  ;D.  Borrow a cat ;-)  :cat48:
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 423