Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1110292 times)

jaypo

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5760 on: October 20, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »

It's not there,so maybe hiding in the undergrowth,in my head it's going to live a long and happy life  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #5761 on: October 20, 2021, 09:11:12 PM »

I never think about taking birds to rescue.  It will be stressed when handled, especially if it's about to die.  Let Nature take over.  Mammals are a different matter.

I spend a lot of time transporting sick and injured birds to our wildlife hospital. The survival rate is high. Why should mammals be of more importance than birds? They all deserve a chance. This month's casualties have included a buzzard, longtailed tit, sparrow, blackbird, wood pigeons and longtailed tit. Of course there was also the woodmouse with an abscess  and a hedgehog with a broken, infected hind leg. All doing well.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5762 on: October 21, 2021, 06:29:37 AM »

Mammals are more obvious around here.  Don't find many injured birds, not even though that hit the windows.  It's about practicalities where I live. 

Taz2

« Reply #5763 on: October 21, 2021, 06:45:30 AM »

Practicalities? Do you mean you live somewhere that hasn't got a wildlife rescue. I just didn't want others to think, from your earlier post, that if they did find a sick or injured bird there's no point in rescuing them.

jaypo

« Reply #5764 on: October 21, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »

Omg,ANOTHER pigeon in my garden this morning,that's three in the last two and a bit weeks,it was flapping it's wings but my OH managed to catch it and pop it over the fence,I'm so scared my dogs get a hold of one if I don't notice it first,not sure what to do about it all

Taz2

« Reply #5765 on: October 21, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »

We had an injured pigeon, that was probably hit by a car, under the hedge in our front garden. 
Rather than leave it to be hit again or wander the road we rang the RSPCA who gave us a incident number and told us to catch it, put it in a large box and to take it to any local vet.  Caught it with a large towel, into a box and rang the vets and off we went.  What happened at the vets i don't know.

Most vets have a list of local wildlife rescues and they'll contact them after assessing the casualty. Someone like me will then be contacted to transport it over to the rescue. Thanks for caring for it.  :)

jaypo

« Reply #5766 on: October 21, 2021, 11:56:52 AM »

I phoned our local rescue as when I looked over the fence the poor think was covered in flies and he was desperately trying to shake them off,OH jumped the fence to get him,he flew in a circle and crash landed right back by our feet,his eyes were shut,put him in a box and rescue place told me to take it to the vets,which we did but think he was just about gone  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #5767 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:48 PM »

Fly strike is awful. I hate it when I pick up a bird or animal and it buzzes under my hands.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5768 on: October 21, 2021, 06:40:10 PM »

Fly strike is fast.  I had a bunny affected ..........  :'( most animals taken to the Vets will be PTS although I did see a grey squirrel being treated years ago  >:( - the deer which I picked up and carried 3 miles also needed euthanising, it had been hit on a road half a mile from where my dog found it. Had probably run with adrenaline until it fell into a ditch.  It would have been terrified: hit, ran, collapsed; found by a dog, carried and then into a car  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #5769 on: October 21, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »

The vet mentioned (but I didn't quite hear) it was covered in black(?) fly get this though,came back from vet and ANOTHER pigeon,I've emailed the RSPB but it said it could be 14 days before they get back to me,not sure what's going on

CLKD

« Reply #5770 on: October 21, 2021, 07:51:10 PM »

RSPB -  :-X

It may B that they have a disease or it may B that it's the end of the year.  Could you ring the Vet where U took the bird?

jaypo

« Reply #5771 on: October 21, 2021, 08:01:13 PM »

Yes,it's where I take my dogs but I'm guessing they just euthanised it,we've been here 7 years now and I've never had this before  :(

CLKD

« Reply #5772 on: October 21, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »

What's happened locally? Any new chicken farms, general building driving birds from their natural roosts? 

jaypo

« Reply #5773 on: October 22, 2021, 07:39:55 AM »

Not that I know of,we're pretty rural here,if it happens again I'll take the bird to vets and ask if they can investigate

CLKD

« Reply #5774 on: October 22, 2021, 07:46:51 AM »

It may be avian 'flu which is reportable.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 422