Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1110189 times)

jaypo

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4935 on: March 06, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »

My hedgehog is back  :) :)
Hunters won't be pleased,re the badgers,one less thing for them to blast the brains out of or rip to shreds or terrify with hounds  >:( >:( >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4936 on: March 06, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »

jaypo - do keep up Dear.  Hunters don't chase badgers with hounds.  Badgers are nocturnal, by the time they are abroad we are rubbing down horses, feeding hay and cleaning tack ;-).

Badgers are killers.  They will eat anything they can find: worms, rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs ........

Interesting that DEFRA never tested any of the culled badgers for TB .......... so the costs to the countryside/tax payer have been huge with little knowledge gained  >:(

Maybe the end of the cull if the first good thing to come out of leaving Europe  :whist:

In the early hours I thought of something I wanted to add to this thread but it's gone  :'(

Hares are time wasters.  It's the female that boxes the persistent males you know ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #4937 on: March 06, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »

Maybe the end of the cull if the first good thing to come out of leaving Europe  :whist:

Nothing to do with the EU, but Hay Ho if it makes you feel better to believe it is.  :-X

jaypo

« Reply #4938 on: March 06, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »

Yes, I know how they kill them,I'm just generalising about hunting and hunters,fox hunting,deer hunting,anything that moves hunting,it's one thing I WONT change my mind about,I hate people who enjoy killing :'(

Barnacle

« Reply #4939 on: March 06, 2020, 01:37:37 PM »

My hedgehog is back  :) :)
>:( >:(

I keep looking for mine, but no such luck. I could watch them for hours :)

Two hoots

« Reply #4940 on: March 06, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »

Robin is busy collecting suitable nest materials, it's chosen a little conifer in the front garden to make its home  :)

Countrygirl

« Reply #4941 on: March 06, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »

a pair of house sparrows are checking out one nest box and blue tits the other, better brush the dogs and put the hair out as it might just tempt them to stay x

CLKD

« Reply #4942 on: March 06, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »

jaypo - I hope you don't get to hate me because I go trout fishing  ::) and survived as a 3/4 year old when there wasn't much money, by Dad putting pigeon onto the table.

We have blue tits exploring the nest boxes  :-*.  It is SO noisy today  ;D with chaffinches muttering, a wren singing, blackbirds chasing each other ......... and lovely and warm.  Honey bees on the winter flowering honeysuckle, polyanthus and clematis 'freckles'  :-*  :-*

jaypo

« Reply #4943 on: March 06, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

Of course I don't hate you  :o I luv ya,you silly woman  ;D my dad was the biggest fan on the planet of trout fishing,used to take me with him as a child,we lived in a tiny place called Watten in Caithness,which had a loch FULL of trout,happy memories  :)
Barnacle,you should set up cameras,we have them all over(business security) but I scroll through all the night time ones,it's fab,still not seen a fox or a badger though   :(

CLKD

« Reply #4944 on: March 06, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »

We put our trial cameras out last week but cats, too early for hedgehogs.  Hopefully  :-\

:thankyou:  jaypo  :D

jaypo

« Reply #4945 on: March 06, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »

Why do we have ours back clkd?is it too early'should I put food out for him? I'm sure it's the same big one from last year

CLKD

« Reply #4946 on: March 06, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »

Putting food out won't hurt - a good quality cat food but not fish-based.  Or live meal worms ;-).  I can't remember when we saw hog poo last year but it was mid-April I think. 

It's too chilly yet to sit out in the evenings to watch for them.

Taz2

« Reply #4947 on: March 06, 2020, 10:33:52 PM »

It's not too early Jaypo. They are lumbering around here too. Food will be most welcome I'm sure. The local rescue centre sadly had to euthanase one yesterday due to dreadful strimmer injuries. I do wish people would take more care to check before they strim!  :'(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4948 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »

:'( and light bonfires

We have collared doves.  Pairing.  She does't seem to be very keen  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #4949 on: March 07, 2020, 10:05:05 AM »

Oh no,how awful Taz ,the poor little thing  :'(
Ok,here's something I'd like your opinions about,my stepson is here for the weekend,announcing he has a pet hedgehog,I said,did you catch it and now it's your pet? >:( No,apparently you can buy baby hedgehogs and keep them as pets!!! He's read up how you clean it's spines and feet and how to bathe it but I'm not happy,surely kids have enough wild animals to choose to keep in cages  >:(  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 422