Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1110166 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4425 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »

Let me know how you get on.  There R plenty of stores that sell cameras.

We have a comma butterfly resting on the concrete path  :): two tortoiseshells and a brimstone around, plus lots of bees and blue tits are choosing the nesting boxes  8).  Spawn is beginning to break up but can't see any tadpoles yet.  I could hear the frogs purring at 10.30 p.m.  :)

We also have a female blackbird collecting beakfuls of food - too early, surely ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:48:25 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4426 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »

Oh! make sure that the camera you choose is compatible with the laptop/computer that you want to down load videos onto ;-)

Shadyglade

« Reply #4427 on: March 24, 2019, 09:43:35 PM »

Oh! make sure that the camera you choose is compatible with the laptop/computer that you want to down load videos onto ;-)

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #4428 on: March 25, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »

The 1st one we bought was MAC compatible, however - we had to go back to the shop to explain a couple of issues which the tech man tweaked: ours was the 2nd sale of that model  ::), after which it worked fine.  We now have 2 and I'm muttering about buying a third ........ we have several areas that the hogs move around in which would be nice to catch on camera  :whist:

Countrygirl

« Reply #4429 on: April 01, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »

Hope this is okay to ask on here as Ticks are nature i guess. Is there anyone who has got a cat and found that tick treatment hasn't worked, we were adopted by a stray cat last year and owners never came forward so he kinda lives with us. We bought spot on by bob martins flea and tick drops, but are removing deer ticks daily, today's had a male attached to a female 😵 ewwww. Always had dogs, but never had this problem so at a loss what to try next, thank you x

jaypo

« Reply #4430 on: April 01, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »

I don't rate Bob martins CG I always use frontline,I always found the tick collars were good if the cat will tolerate one.eeewwwww I hate ticks🤢

Hurdity

« Reply #4431 on: April 01, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »

Lovely to hear all the birds singing their spring songs - chiff chaffs have been here for about 11 days. Early purple orchids (wild) in our grassland patch throwing up flower spikes already  and today lovely  :sunny: :sunny:

Hurdity x :)

jaypo

« Reply #4432 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »

The birds are happeeeeeeee,singing their little hearts out here too hurdity 😊🕊

Countrygirl

« Reply #4433 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »

The birds loved the dogs hair when I brushed them outside this afternoon, I love watching how they ball it up so they can carry more. We seem to have a lot of goldfinches in the mix this year which is really unusual x

Jaypo will look into frontline, thanks x

jaypo

« Reply #4434 on: April 01, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »

It's a bit pricey but it lasts for a month at a time,we are out in the country and our dogs have never had ticks...........shouldn't have said that should I  :-\
Goldfinches are soooo pretty,my favourite,oh and tiny wrens

Countrygirl

« Reply #4435 on: April 01, 2019, 08:43:08 PM »

Wrens are so tiny, but with such a big old personality, the way they stand and the angle of the tail feathers always looks so determined lol x

Our dogs have only ever had a couple in over 20 years and I've always put that down to the muntjacs that come into the garden x

Clarekins

« Reply #4436 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:14 AM »

Just seen this thread..I love birds!
Last year I noticed lots of swifts and ordered a swift box to put up this year.
So my husband put it up last weekend, which was a big deal, as he hates heights, but gingerly climbed up the ladder, balancing drill and box.
Anyway, after said box was up, I was looking online ( still recovering from surtgery ::)) and discovered you shouldn't put a box up on a South facing wall :o, which is what our wall is!
So, I braced myself and said ' I think we'd better take the box down :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:... he went all quiet.
So it came down and he was brave enough to put it out the front wall... so waiting for the arrival of the swift s... they'd better nest in this box!  ;D

Shadyglade

« Reply #4437 on: April 02, 2019, 07:18:49 AM »

A few years ago we used to have House Martins, but not recently.

Now we have Blackbirds, starlings, sparrows and bluetits nestling mostly.

Countrygirl

« Reply #4438 on: April 02, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »

Shadyglade did you find they just stopped coming as we had swallows nesting in the soffits for years then one year about 4 years ago they just stopped coming 🙁 x

Shadyglade

« Reply #4439 on: April 02, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »

Yes. The last year they nested the nest fell before the chicks had fledged. The didn't come back the next year.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 422