Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1123839 times)

ariadne

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3555 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »

Lots of Red Kite in Northamptonshire. Often flying over the allotments and we stop whatever we're doing and watch fascinated as they glide so effortlessly over us. They are much bolder than they used to be and fly quite low. They are often buzzed by crows and jackdaws trying to warn them off but they just continue majestically on their way.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3556 on: May 08, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »

We have 3 hedgehogs visiting regularly, between 11.30 and 1.00 a.m. then there's a gap: until 3.00 a.m. onwards.  One hog was in the feeding plate and wouldn't let the next visitor in, eventually it turned round and chased it  :o so the 2nd hog curled up.  The 3rd one has light patterned spines across it's back so it's obviously different: and 1 mouse  :).  I must put more meal worms out ........ at dawn pigeons arrive to feed on the grain, plus magpie ........ at least no greys nor rats!  I am so pleased  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #3557 on: May 09, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »

3 more hogs last night .........  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3558 on: May 15, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »

Looking out the window this morning, I saw Mr and Mrs Pheasant in the garden. They have been regular visitors for months. They will stand and stare at me as I sit in the lounge. I must be an interesting specimen! We have a lot of reed buntings visiting, as well as several blackbirds, a couple of thrushes, blue tits etc. Lots of wood pigeons and collared doves and some very healthy looking squirrels.

babyjane

« Reply #3559 on: May 15, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »

Lots of wood pigeons and collared doves and some very healthy looking squirrels.

We have these too, along with sparrows, tits, blackbirds, finches.  I still chuckle at OH's comment the other morning 'there's 2 tits on the fat balls'  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #3560 on: May 15, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »

Reed buntings are regular visitors here too - the males are so handsome with their dapper collars & jackets.  We too have many red kites in the area - even sometimes visible from the kitchen window, soaring over the garden.  No fewer than four fluttery, gaping, baby robins being fed by one efficient parent at the weekend.  Hadn't yet reached the harassed stage!  I give it a week.  Blue & great tits seem confused by their own reflection in the shed window and keep flying at it in challenge or possibly just curiosity.  Covered the window in the past to prevent exhaustion, but they just keep coming back.  Left 5 fat balls in the cage 10 days ago before leaving for a week away - all gone of course, on our return.  Starlings make short work of these, so we usually ration supply to one a day.  Saw a lovely bird new to us last week in Cornwall - a pink chested linnet bathing with three goldfinches in a glinting stream. Six ringed plovers feeding in wet sand on a long empty beach, too.  Lovely to still be seeing birds new to us in this country at our advanced age!

CLKD

« Reply #3561 on: May 15, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »

Red kite/s over us too and reed buntings in the Winter months.  Not much at the moment other than very chatty sparrows, a magpie, pair of jackdaws, pair of blackbirds, collared doves - she's a pretty ivory colour with pink chest - wren occasionally.

Taz2

« Reply #3562 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »

The annual invasion of baby starlings has begun! Currently eleven wobbling around the garden. They are inside a fenced in area which gives them a bit more of a chance when the cats watching. They are so funny.

Sounds as if you had a good trip Wrensong. I love linnets - we have them in the garden in the winter but they usually disappear by the beginning of March. It's a while since I've seen a Ringed Plover though - used to see them all the time when we lived in Suffolk.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3563 on: May 15, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

we haven't had any young starlings yet, I was saying that to Himself yesterday as we watched the adults squabbling over live meal worms  ::)

lucky to see thrushes these days - I did hear a cuckoo this morning .......

babyjane

« Reply #3564 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

we have one shy thrush who visits from time to time.  It waits until the other ground feeders have finished then ventures over to the seed  :)

Wrensong

« Reply #3565 on: May 15, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »

Yes, thank you Taz2, a good trip.  How lovely for you to have linnets in the garden - we didn't know what it was at first sight & because of the lovely pink chest, assumed juvenile bullfinch yet to develop the striking black head colour.  The ringed plovers we've also seen when away in Kent, but the various  wading birds are not that familiar so we have to look em up every time!

cubagirl

« Reply #3566 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »

Saw two birds scuttling down our driveway today & haven't a clue what they were. Couldn't get close enough for a photo. Pigeon like, but smaller, different colouring. Brown with green stripe & very short legs. They looked like the best of pals. Any ideas? I've tried looking online, but no idea what I'm actually looking for.

CLKD

« Reply #3567 on: May 16, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »

Green woodpeckers?

Our large hog is stuffing his face with live meal worms as I type  :) - hopefully he won't put on weight  :o

Taz2

« Reply #3568 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »

He needs to put on weight to get through the winter.  :D

As for your birds CG - where was the stripe?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3569 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »

But there was a programme last night where a hog needed weighing as it had put on too much but I think it was being kept as a pet  :-\ - it was white anyway ......... one of those that visits here is a male but haven't shaken the other 2  :D
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 423