Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122234 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3420 on: March 14, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »

So pleased that you enjoyed Wisley.  It is too far for us to travel and we never seem to go 'by' it when driving down South  ::)

We found a male chaffinch dead below our kitchen window on Sat., I sent details of the ring to the Ringing Group web-site and within 48 hours we had a report back telling us approx. age, where it was ringed and info has now been added to the history.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:19:36 PM by CLKD »

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3421 on: March 14, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »

::)

Hate finding dead birds CLKD, we've never had them in the garden before aside from the wood pigeons that are regularly caught by the foxes. It's like fox central here! How old was the chaffinch?

If ever you are travelling south and could make a detour to Wisley, I'd highly recommend it. It's stunning and ever changing and the plant nurseries and studies and trials done are hugely interesting. There's always an expert around really happy to discuss what's going on. Wildly busy at weekends but much calmer during the week outside of school holidays.                           

CLKD

« Reply #3422 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »

:thankyou:  must put it on the list of places to go.  We've done Water Perry Gardens, Anglesey Abbey and Sandringham Gardens which look lovely at this time of year, having 'experts' on site to chat with is a bonus.  I spent a day at NIAB years ago  ::).

The thought is that the chaffinch was a year old when ringed, 14 months ago.  Hopefully he will have passed on some genes  ;)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3423 on: March 14, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »

We were up staying in a friends house in Old Hunstanton last year and visited Sandringham for the first time. Oh it was utterly stunning, I emailed my daughter from the garden and told her she had to track down and marry Prince Harry so we could visit more often!!  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #3424 on: March 14, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

There is a frog orgy going on on our back grass.  Females hopping round with males clinging on for dear life.  The dog finds it fascinating  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3425 on: March 14, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »

Our frogs are in the ponds ..... I take care if I go into the garden after dark though  :o - do yours purr BJ?

Sandringham in rhodedendron time can be stunning.  We also found Sheringham Park 2 years ago, again at azalea time, stunning on a fine day. 

Taz2

« Reply #3426 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »

I'm confused, why wouldn't you talk about gardening on this thread?!

S x

I think the "gardening" thread was set up after I first started this one so that the two could be kept a bit separate in order that garden stuff didn't get lost amongst the wildlife and nature stuff? It hasn't been posted on for quite a while though so it's easy to overlook https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21709.msg326901.html#msg326901

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3427 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »

Thanks for that link Taz, but given that the thread hadn't been posted on for two years I can see no problem with us having our very short garden conversation on this thread. All things to do with nature is of course relevant to plants be they in a wild or garden situation or indeed an orchard or a piece of old grassland at the back of someones garden.

I really can't see why it would be a problem for anyone and indeed why anyone would feel inclined to police this issue in this way.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:48:09 AM by Elizabethrose »

babyjane

« Reply #3428 on: March 15, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »

Our frogs are in the ponds ..... I take care if I go into the garden after dark though  :o - do yours purr BJ?

So that's what it is, I wondered what the funny rumbling sound was  :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3429 on: March 15, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »

Oh just want to point out in case my comment is misinterpreted: I have no problem with you either Taz, thanks again for posting the link.

CLKD

« Reply #3430 on: March 15, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

I've been watching Nature today  ;) - lambs in the fields, chaffinches chasing each other for territory, black headed gulls in a field, no osprey yet.

Guess what I found in my GARDEN .......  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3431 on: March 15, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »

Haha, you've got to laugh!

I was watching this on the Thames today, a couple of Great Crested Grebes doing their courtship dance. Having lunch with a friend and it continued the whole time we were eating. They must have been exhausted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORqblRpH9Eg

CLKD

« Reply #3432 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

Himself watched a pair last week but I missed it .......

Taz2

« Reply #3433 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:18 PM »

Thanks for that link Taz, but given that the thread hadn't been posted on for two years I can see no problem with us having our very short garden conversation on this thread. All things to do with nature is of course relevant to plants be they in a wild or garden situation or indeed an orchard or a piece of old grassland at the back of someones garden.

I really can't see why it would be a problem for anyone and indeed why anyone would feel inclined to police this issue in this way.

I skimmed over the gardening comments - not being a gardener I'm afraid - but did think that they might reach more gardeners if posted on a gardening thread. Not all gardeners are into wildlife so might not bother to read this thread but I can see how the two do merge together.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3434 on: March 16, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »

Guess what I found  :-\ ..........
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 423