Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1130142 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3345 on: January 12, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »

We have occasional ones in the garden but they mainly stay up in the neighbouring oak trees.

I usually have a population of around 20 goldfinches this time of year but a really large flock has just arrived in the apple and plum trees. So many of them - the sound is amazing. I can only think they are going to stock up before the cold snap hits. The resident ones don't seem to happy. For such pretty birds they are so aggressive.

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3346 on: January 12, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »

My feeders are covered in Goldfinches at this very moment. They are such fast busy little birds and so very pretty. They attack the seeds in a very different way to other feeders.

We have heavy snow forecast here for later: I have a couple of large pieces of board that I lay on top of the snow for the ground feeders, not that we experience that much snow here normally. Whilst the robins will use the feeders the blackbirds don't and the wood pigeons can't: I can't bear to see these regular visitors go hungry.

Two hoots

« Reply #3347 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »

I love our resident squirrels  ;D, I buy monkey nuts for them.  When they want food they look in through the glass panel on the kitchen door, they have me well trained, they look in - I feed them  ::)

If I knew how could post a photo

:lol:

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3348 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »

Haha Two hoots, that's lovely. Whatever you do don't tell CLKD where you are or she and hubby will be round with their air rifles!!  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3349 on: January 12, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »

On my way - tree rats  >:( : poxy critters, killing our native reds  :sigh: 

We had a female bullfinch visit this morning in the back garden, 4 gold finches in the front plus the usual mix, all busy.  Robin appears at the window for live meal worms.  Drizzling hard which is supposed to turn to snow later but it isn't cold enough.

We have a large brass elephant in our lounge, trunk up and large flappy ears - as long as I don't think of her as "Nellie" I don't get an ear worm  ;D.  When I bought her home she had a seat belt on in the back seat  ::)

Two hoots

« Reply #3350 on: January 15, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

Woodpecker on the bird feeder today, first time I've watched him this year  :)

We have a flowering plum tree in the garden that attracts the beautiful bullfinches, unfortunately they eat the buds so ours is an unflowering plum  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #3351 on: January 15, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »

I hate seeing a "single" bullfinch as I always wonder what happened to their partner!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3352 on: January 15, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

We had 3 male bullfinches plus the female on the 13th in the back garden plus 6 goldfinches in the front.  I have bought more feeders for sunflower hearts, I can now sterilise those that have been in regular use.

2 long-tailed tits are in the front garden daily

Apparently the Tawny owls were noisy in the night, I never heard a thing  ::)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:33:43 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #3353 on: January 15, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »

It's difficult keeping the feeders clean. I do mine weekly but still have two today with trich which saddens me.

I wonder what the male bullfinches did with their females? Must have lost them somewhere..

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3354 on: January 15, 2017, 11:39:44 PM »

We have a male chaffinch with 'bumble foot' but he's feeding OK.  It's several years since the greenfinches succumbed, they are slowing returning.  A brambling appeared with the chaffinches this morning :-).

I use cif in boiling water with a toothbrush and long thin kebab stick 2 push any old feed out or soak in Milton then use brush and stick and drain well.  I also move feeders around the garden which can cause confusion  ::).  Mum never moves her feeders and rarely washes them but she doesn't have any birds with disease ........ unless the local cats get them.

We don't have as many of any variety these days, I hope it's because more people are feeding in the area.

Taz2

« Reply #3355 on: January 15, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »

I've got a few Chaffinches with bumble foot too but it's not usually fatal. Trich is so awful. Hate it!

I clean mine with a mild solution of disinfectant and leave to dry naturally. I also spray them with some sort of feeder spray - can't remember what it's called!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3356 on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »

Dettol ?  A good boil wash should be enough ..........

Taz2

« Reply #3357 on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »

It's a solution of 5% disinfectant. It's what we clean the feeders with at the wildlife hospital together with Arks Klens spray. You need to do it weekly. My main problem is the build up of sunflower hearts under the feeder. It's always been difficult to control!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3358 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »

Aaahhh. we have pigeons and doves that help clear up those, as well as the black birds.

Taz2

« Reply #3359 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

Mine don't do that! The pigeons are happy on their feeders so don't bother to clear up the spillages on the ground. Seven woodpigeons and fifteen collared doves and none of them do the clearing up for me! They are just so ungrateful..!

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 423