Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122494 times)

Joyce

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3135 on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »

House Martin's are back, above our front door. Just wish they'd make entrance on opposite side, save me having to wash doorstep daily.  ::)

Cazikins

« Reply #3136 on: May 23, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »

I saw my first hedgehog of the year last night  :) :).
It was on the front lawn & I was just off to bed when I saw something move under our car in the drive, I thought it was a slow moving cat but then I saw it come out the other side & scamper along the neighbours front lawn.
I love the little fellas. ;D

Off to report it on the hedgehog street map.
http://bighedgehogmap.org/

Taz2

« Reply #3137 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:36 AM »

That's brilliant news Cazi. I love them too but since the local badger took a liking to one of mine the rest have also disappeared. Sadly the only ones I have seen this year are road accident victims.

Thirty-three baby starlings this morning!

Taz x

Cazikins

« Reply #3138 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »

I see more dead badgers here on the roads than dead hedgehogs Taz - funny thing nature.
 That's a lot of starlings. Still got my Oyster Catcher in the bird bath.... ;D ;D
Cazi x

booboo

« Reply #3139 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »

For the first time In years and years I actually had a hedgehog in my garden last week - they have the cutest little faces ...
I let my dog out for her last wee in the eve, and could hear her pacing & hovering excitedly under the front window and in the flower bed ..When I went to see what all her excitement was about - there was the little fella ( or she) - So I dragged my soppy hound away, as she wanted to make friends and play football....Its lovely to see hedgehogs - they seem to be a rare sight these days..

Cazikins

« Reply #3140 on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »

Hi booboo
If you click on that link I posted about hedgehogs you can learn a lot more about them. They are getting quite rare.

Love the story about your dog, unfortunately one of my old dogs didn't take to kindly to one we had in our garden several years ago. It was not a happy ending I'm afraid.  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #3141 on: May 23, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »

They are a rare sight nowadays booboo as they are on the red list and severely endangered. Lovely that you have one visiting you. Good info on how to encourage your hedgie here http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/inthewild/gardenhedgehogs

They have really drawn the short straw in terms of survival in our world. They are beset with health problems, get strimmed by gardeners, run over by cars, eaten by badgers, attacked by dogs and foxes but they are amazing animals.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3142 on: May 23, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »

I'm sure that I posted 2 weeks ago about the Trail camera filming a large hog eating a very long earth worm  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3143 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »

Can you post it again as I missed it

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3144 on: May 23, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »

I think we had a hoggy convo a few weeks ago or may have been months - when I said we haven't had one visiting (a hedgehog) for about 25 years - used to visit our outside loo  ( now inside with shower!),  and we fed it, and then I admitted the slug pellets cos we grow lots of veggies and we are rife with slugs and snails - I don't like to kill them but also value our plants. Did try some of the eco ones but they didn't work :(. I know that's awful though...

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3145 on: May 23, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »

I didn't post the actual film! We use slug pellets Hurdity, the way to stop hogs is to put the pellets under a brick where slugs/snails congregate.

babyjane

« Reply #3146 on: May 23, 2016, 03:30:32 PM »

I saw a jay yesterday when I was walking my dog in the field.  I just saw this flash of blue then it alighted in a nearby tree and I could see it clearly.  What a beautiful bird  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3147 on: May 23, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »

They are Babyjane ………

Hurdity

« Reply #3148 on: May 23, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »

I didn't post the actual film! We use slug pellets Hurdity, the way to stop hogs is to put the pellets under a brick where slugs/snails congregate.

We'd need a lot of bricks!!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3149 on: May 23, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »

Why?  Slugs/snails like cool, dark places - lift any old pot and what do you find?  If you choose cool areas in the garden which are rarely used, put 2 bricks spaced apart, covered; large enough gap for slugs but not big enough for a hog's snout: slug pellets under, job done.  Or the beer in the glass trick?
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 423