Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1123629 times)

Two hoots

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2985 on: January 11, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »

It's magpies I don't like, they start making their terrible call at first light and if they spot one of the neighbours cats what a noise  >:(

Dorothy

« Reply #2986 on: January 11, 2016, 11:06:54 PM »

Taz, pigeons eat corn, which is cheap.  And they don't need feeders.  You could chuck some corn or cheap seed on the ground for them, and use feeders they can't access to feed all the other birds.

Taz2

« Reply #2987 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:29 AM »

Thanks Dorothy but I don't intend to use feeders which block the bigger birds. I've tried the corn on the ground trick but mine love the black sunflowers in the feeders.

Magpies are one of my favourite birds. Although the cackling call can be a bit irritating I love the warbling they do when chatting away and they are so intelligent too.

Taz x

newbeginnings

« Reply #2988 on: January 12, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »

I had a crowd of long tailed tits on my feeder yesterday. There was 8 of them. They swoop in from time to time they make me laugh I love them. I live in north Devon and although we're fortunate in that where I am its too steep to flood, its been like living in a wet sponge for the last 3 months. I live in an upside down house and my feeders are attached to outside my living room window. I cant put feeders in the garden because there are voracious squirrels.
I don't have problems with pigeons - I have jackdaws who just stare at me through the window cheeky things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2989 on: January 12, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »

Any pigeons/doves/magpies here have to feed off the floor.  We are going to have the best sun flower show in the village at this rate because germination is going well!

Robin was here asking for meal worms earlier  ::)

newbeginnings

« Reply #2990 on: January 12, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »

My jackdaws balance on the small wire feeder holding the seed balls.

Hurdity

« Reply #2991 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:36 PM »

It's really annoying when they stop visiting and you can't always see the reason. Mine have been constant all winter but some have been absent - no siskins this year and only the occasional wagtail. The fieldfares and redwings are mostly still in Russia apparently and there has even been sightings of swallow and swifts which are thought to have overwintered here rather than bothering to fly off to their normal winter holiday spots. Which type of seed do you feed and what birds do you want to attract?

Yes Hurdity, the robin sings at night most nights here. There has been a lot of research into this I believe - it's thought that the increasing traffic noise in the daytime means the robin's song travels further during the night time hours and the fact that in lots of places, here included, street lights are on all night has changed the behaviour of robins (Robins are related to the nightingale). If you go into the centre of Reading during the evening and night there are robins sat on many of the lights singing away. The large light fixtures in the middle of roundabouts attract them too. This is a recent article about city robins singing at night http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31505672  and the RSPB view on it http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/funfactsandarticles/watchingbirds/behaviour/nocturnalsong.aspx  It does sound rather poignant but mine didn't shut up until three this morning!

Taz x

Thanks for the info - now you come to mention it we had an early flight from Bristol ?last year and arrive in pitch darkness at the car parking and the blackbirds were singing away - of course there were very bright security lights near the kiosk thing where you hand in the keys - that's the first time I've encountered this as there are no street lights here it being a small village.

re the birds in our front garden. There is a bird table and four feeders hanging off - peanuts, fatballs, mixed seed and black sunflower seeds ( with new tray :)). Before Christmas there were lots of birds but we went away for a week- on returning the birds had disappeared but they hadn't eaten all the food I put out though (except the bird table part of course).

I went up into our orchard today and was immediately greeted by a pair of nuthatches, blackbirds, fieldfares and I could hear the tits and a big flock of sparrows. There are loads of apples on the trees and the ground so they are all feeding on these. Next to this are our neighbours long gardens and lots of trees, then open fields behind. Near our front garden there are buildings - cottages, farmhouse, barn etc - so I've come to the conclusion that they just don't need to come down here much except during the breeding season because there are more trees and food 20 yards away. Also there is a pheasant shoot just over the fields and the farmer fed them at the weekend so I expect all the grainfeeders are up there. I hardly see anything down here but we are not short of birds in the area.

Incdientally we don't get starlings feeding - just occasional flocks passing, nor wood pigeons, magpies, crows, wagtails etc. Mainly 4 tit sp, robin, dunnock, blackbird, collar dove, chaffinch, house sparrow. In breeding season greenfinch, nuthatch and greater sp woodpecker + occasional sparrowhawk. Jackdaws have given up as I've covered the fatball feeder with two semi-circular hanging baskets pegged together! I couldn't keep up during the breeding season!

I just like to see them from indoors when I'm around the house but they've gone AWOL!!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2992 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »

May I move next door Hurdity ?  pretty please  ;)

I finally cut back the hellebore leaves this afternoon into the Council bin   â€¦â€¦â€¦.. and cleared some leaves/mud into the compost heap.  Lots to do but it became too dark to see  ::)

Two hoots

« Reply #2993 on: January 20, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »

I have just watched Mr and Mrs Bullfinch in the garden, it's the first time this winter I have seen them. Mr Bullfinch is such a lovely bright bird he is one I look out for each winter.

This winter for the first time I have had a blackcap as a regular visitor, the woodpecker is still visiting the suet block daily, if he eats lots of suet perhaps he won't eat the blue tit chicks  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #2994 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

There are a lot of birds that haven't arrived this year, i.e. blackcap - sometimes we've had a pair when the weather is cold.  Also long tail tits and gold-finches are rare visitors ……….

Two hoots

« Reply #2995 on: January 20, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »

I have had a flock of 7 long tailed tits today a lovely little bird that I am always happy to see because they don't stay long, other birds visit a few times a day when they find the food but the long tailed tits only seem to visit once every few weeks.

CLKD

« Reply #2996 on: January 20, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »

Noisy ain't they!  8)

Hurdity

« Reply #2997 on: January 20, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »

I wouldn't say they were noisy as such CLKD!  I mean it's just a high pitched tweety sound (I love their call) as they flit about - we had a visit yesterday from our flock too two Hoots - about 9 or 10 I counted so they seem to have expanded - or perhaps they huddle together for warmth? Also yes saw Mr Bullfinch on the hedge a couple of days ago on the hedge - my husband called me to have a look. My H also said the greater spotted woody visited the birdtable (peanut feeder) yesterday too but I haven't seen one since the breeding season so maybe it was the cold that caused one to come back. I hear and see them regularly around the area but not in our little front garden. What part of the country Two Hoots (roughly I mean)?

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2998 on: January 20, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »

There are a lot of birds that haven't arrived this year, i.e. blackcap - sometimes we've had a pair when the weather is cold.  Also long tail tits and gold-finches are rare visitors ……….

I think there has been more natural food around the the blackcaps this year. We've only had them occasionally visit the garden this winter - saw more of them in the summer to be honest. As for goldfinches - would you like some of mine CLKD - when I got home at 4 today there were over 40 on the (almost empty) feeders.

My long tailed tits descend twice a day (good job we know it's birds we are talking about here!!  :boobs:) - around ten in the morning and again about three in the afternoon. They fly through the bushes and jump around a lot chattering all of the time before zooming off somewhere else. There is a roost not far from me and this time of year it's quite magical just as the sun is going down to hear them twittering away in the tree they have adopted.

Taz x

Two hoots

« Reply #2999 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »

I'm in south west Wales, I live on the outskirts of a village with lots of houses around but my next door neighbour is the last house before the countryside starts. We did have lots of cats in the street but over the past year I have not seen them around and the number of birds and squirrels in the garden has gone up  :) I feed the birds with peanuts, sunflower seeds and a suet block and the squirrels get monkey nuts, the squirrels peer in the back door when they want feeding  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 423