Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122318 times)

Limpy

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2760 on: June 07, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »

Will ask the joiner when we next see him to see who'e doing what in the area.
He seems to be in the know.
Failing that, local RSPB

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2761 on: June 07, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  What time's the joiner 'due' in the morning?

Limpy

« Reply #2762 on: June 07, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  What time's the joiner 'due' in the morning?

We aren't even sure if it will be tomorrow!
Though, he has left lots of stuff here, here's hoping.
OH is going to ring person in charge of rendering chimney later........

Taz2

« Reply #2763 on: June 07, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »

They are on the red list but there are still breeding pairs in the UK and especially in Wales. http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/h/henharrier/

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #2764 on: June 07, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »

It has it's moments Hurdity!

CLKD

« Reply #2765 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »

Prefer mid-Wales me-self  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #2766 on: June 11, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

The lawn is covered by lots of Speedwell, it's just a carpet of blue.
Sadly, the lawn needs to be mown  :(

CLKD

« Reply #2767 on: June 11, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

It'll grow again.  Such a pretty blue too.  I have blue and red flax growing in the sunshine ……..

CLKD

« Reply #2768 on: June 14, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »

I don't buy bird food from catalogues usually but do have the monthly up-date e-mail from Vine House Farms which is always interesting, as is the one from Ark

Does anyone buy hedgehog food and do local cats eat the preparation?  If I remember I put out live meal worms for our hog visitors however ……. the cats don't eat the meal worms but I do wonder about hedgehog grub?

"Our Hedgehog Food is similar to a hedgehog's natural diet and following trials with the British Hedgehog Preservation Society, our recipe includes kibbled peanuts, sunflower hearts, dried mealworms, sultanas and dried blackberries. .. "  this is from one company that sells hedgehog 'food' ……. what's natural about peanuts, sunflower hearts, sultanas  :-\ …..

Whilst these additives might provide protein and energy, 'natural' ?  ??? they also sell a hedgehog 'pate' - looks like cat food in a different guise  ::) and local cats and magpies would soon eat that!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:04:43 PM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #2769 on: June 14, 2015, 07:07:44 PM »

Have never put out food for hedgehogs except years ago when they used to visit when we still had an outside loo -  they used to eat the cat food.

Today saw lovely bee orchids in full flower on the Jurassic coast in Dorset, and some pyramidal ones too...

Have been on the look out for red kites since a huge flock of them were seen over Lands End recently and some have also been seen over Somerset. Nothing over where I live though.....

Pair of martins trying to nest - they used to nest on our cottage and then on our barn but came and had a look a few days ago, and looks like they may have decided on our next door neighbours barn/outbuilding (neighbour is away) - they've been chattering and cooing under the eves. When they arrived in the village earlier in the week my husband bought a couple of artificial nests ( their old ones fell down) in the hope of persuading them to come to us but looks like they've given us the cold-shoulder!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #2770 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »

Bizarre - an old osteospermum just burst into flower today and it's red and yellow on the same plant  :o Looks great though.

Taz2

« Reply #2771 on: June 14, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »

Hurdity - you should pop over to me - I've just been listening to the Red Kites calling to each other as they glide over the garden - reminds me of a child blowing a whistle. Not many buzzards now though and I really like to listen to them.

Sounds like an interesting plant oldsheep!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #2772 on: June 14, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »

Found this about Red Kites in towns. Some of these might be "my" kites of course  ;D http://www.bou.org.uk/red-kites-back-in-town/

Taz x

thorntrees

« Reply #2773 on: June 14, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

Just spent a week in mid Wales near Carno, so many birds around the cottage we stayed in. Saw two Greater spotted woodpeckers every day on the feeders plus a jay, blue tits, chaffinches, nut hatches  and house martins and one evening a kestrel just sitting on the fence post. We also went to the Kite feeding project, truly amazing to see so many beautiful birds swooping for food, also buzzards and a merlin. DH managed to get some photos,watching them all really made our holiday special.

Thorntrees.

CLKD

« Reply #2774 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »

When we lived in mid-Wales we had nuthatches regularly - until the hard Winter of 1979  :'( never saw them again.

We had a red kite feeding station close to us when we lived there, the guy would buy chickens and throw for the birds.  Don't think it's necessary these days  ::) but the tourists seem to like the spectacle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:42:01 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 423