Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1126224 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2745 on: June 06, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »

Don't get me started on the RSPB  :bang: :bang: :bang:

We watch peregrines at Norwich and Salisbury Cathedrals  :-* - the fasted bird on the Planet ………..  8)

Cazikins

« Reply #2746 on: June 06, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »

Ahhhh ??? CLKD what's your problem with the RSPB? ???? I was going to sign up to give a subscription every month etc to them. You love your birds don't you?

CLKD

« Reply #2747 on: June 06, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »

Have a read of what they are planning to do ……… (Sat.Telegraph).  Also have a look-see at their Annual Accounts and see what they actually 'do' with their monies …….. a local small charity might be the way to go  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2748 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:26:47 PM by Taz2 »

CLKD

« Reply #2749 on: June 06, 2015, 06:46:44 PM »

Thought you would - maybe needs another thread  :-\

What will the RSPB spend £6M on exactly?  I think a smaller Charity could use such sums in more suitable ways ……..

Hurdity

« Reply #2750 on: June 06, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »

There are two different issues here (or maybe three!) - the principle of building on green belt or green spaces land, and how a major conservation charity can maximise the benefit to biodiversity and birds in particular, and third the moral issue of going against someone's bequest wishes!

Our birds are going bonkers eating my fat balls as fast as I can re-fill the fatball feeder (mainly sparrows, blue-tits, great tits but also now greenfinches have discoveredthem!). Would have to be on permanent standby re filling the birdtable itself as the seeds and bread etc are gone within minutes - sparrows, blackbirds, jackdaws, collar doves, chaffinches, greenfinches, and others. Now have goldfinches feeding too but also liking the seeds in the garden. Woodpecker doesn't seem to be around much though. Hope it's worth the effort and some of these birds survive!

Limpy - redstarts! How lovely! Hen Harriers! Red Kites. Originally thought you must be near some upland moorland somewhere north but red kites too?? I've no idea where in UK!!

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #2751 on: June 06, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »

Red Kites are thriving much further north than me. Around Ulapool seems to be a good area for them.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #2752 on: June 06, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Limpy - redstarts! How lovely! Hen Harriers! Red Kites. Originally thought you must be near some upland moorland somewhere north but red kites too?? I've no idea where in UK!!

North Wales!
There's been Red Kites close since the local shoot got a preventative rap on the knuckles, so birds of prey are a bit safer. Well, that and the shoot going bust  ::)

Hen harriers are a bit further away, we've not seen them for a while, bit they are around apparently......

CLKD

« Reply #2753 on: June 07, 2015, 07:01:04 AM »

If you really do have 'hen' harriers then please report them.  The last known breeding male has disappeared, there were 4 12 months ago.  :'(  Marsh harriers are rare but there are more of them.  I see Marsh harriers near Holkham Hall quite regularly  8)

Red kites are seen regularly over our house, still stops me in my tracks when I see 1/several.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:02:20 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2754 on: June 07, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

Me again  ::) - did anyone read an article last weekend about Oriental poppies disappearing due to disease?  I've searched the papers in the recycling bin and can't find anything, I know I didn't dream it 'cos DH remembers me saying - I've looked on-line and can't find reference either  :D …….  'is it me?'  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2755 on: June 07, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

Not sure about the poppies CLKD - didn't read anything myself.

Where did you read about the Hen Harrier? There is an ongoing programme which seems to be successful - sorry it's the RSPB which I know you don't agree with but here's the link http://www.rspb.org.uk/henharrierlife/

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2757 on: June 07, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »

You have been busy  ;) -maybe finding Links  :thank you: :  gives you something to do indoors  ;D

It was in the Sat. Telegraph yesterday and also I read something during the week about the hen harriers. 

These larger Charities often go outside their remit  :'( but maybe in the case of what the lady wanted wasn't well written by her Solicitor or because larger Charities, in this case RSPB, can afford to take on the Local Authority and Planning Depts. [not what the public gives monies for probably] they can ignore someone's wishes and sell the land for whatever they like!  It's what they do with the amount of money 'made' that bothers me  >:(.

The excuse that building houses will increase habitat, diversity etc. also bothers me …….. housing estates are one of the least green kinds of 'diversity' there is possible …….. our estate has been 'up' since 1969 on a field, most of us feed the wild birds and several gardens have ponds.  But it is well known that new estates have solid wooden fences with no hedgehog 'runs', there are acres of concrete - locally one Firm of builders got Plans passed because they added landscaping to them, now they have put in retrospective Plans so that they can avoid planting trees, shrubs etc.!!!!  >:( …….. the properties are up, un-sold since April …… with lawns but nowt else.  The LA can't afford to take them to Court for reneging ……..  :'(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:06:46 PM by CLKD »

Limpy

« Reply #2758 on: June 07, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »

If you really do have 'hen' harriers then please report them. 

Gosh CLKD, don't you believe me.  ;D
Fret not, it was identified by OH, who knows about these things.  ;)

To whom should they be reported?
Though, I do believe they are known of in the area by those who are interested and involved in such things.

CLKD

« Reply #2759 on: June 07, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »

I do believe you but they are so rare they are almost extinct (see the Links which Taz found).  You could go on-line to see if there is a group watching hen harriers in your area, ospreys are guarded you may find harriers are too: you will probably have a local 'nature' group you could tell ……. RSPB too. 
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 423