Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1123541 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

CLKD

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2536 on: March 11, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

I am trying to pick your brains  ;)

I have a rose.  One with a very ****ly stem which has single flowers on which last about 2 days followed in Autumn by huge seed pods.  I have several of these along a fence.  But can't remember the name, so am unable to look up to see how to propagate it  ::)

dazned

« Reply #2537 on: March 11, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »

Could it be Rosa ragosa??
Are they highly scented ? I have some very,very ****ly stems and as you say massive hips in Autumn ,just a thought. X

CLKD

« Reply #2538 on: March 11, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »

:thankyou:  will have a look-see!

:bounce:  that looks like 'he' ……..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:31:44 PM by CLKD »

dazned

« Reply #2539 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »

Good show ! Don't know if it helps but when you buy them at nursery you buy them in bundles of twiglike things ,a bit like wallflower,I'm not up on propergating ,but thought it might mean something to you,like maybe you can get some armour plating and divide them ,mine spring up all around main plant ! X

CLKD

« Reply #2540 on: March 11, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »

Oh we are a Mine of Information  ;) - apparently in some parts of mainland Europe they are a thug! I have pruned mine back hard today and will try to 'strike' the cuttings next week.  I was given them about 10 years ago when a neighbour moved.

Hurdity

« Reply #2541 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »

Birds all singing their spring songs in the sunshine today - nothing unusual but lots of blackbirds, blue tits, and a bird I haven't seen or heard over the winter has been singing recently - the greenfinch - such a lovely soothing sound. All pur early purple orchid plants have come up in our orchard and seem to be multiplying too - look forward to seeing them in flower later on  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2542 on: March 17, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »

Oh - orchids, well done YOU! we have indoor varieties but nothing outside.

Lots of bees around today - at last the Winter flowering Honeysuckle is in flower and the perfume attracting insects  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #2543 on: March 18, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

I was given 2 jars of 'peanut' butter for the birds: the black bird has tried it.  However, with half the World starving  :-\

The wren is in and out of the meal worm tub helping herself.  Sparrows are chattering away in one direction, starlings squawking in the other  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #2544 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »

CLKD - they are wild orchids and the orchard is mainly grassland with trees and brambles, so we haven't done anything special apart from clearing vegetation around them when they are coming up so they don't get suffocated! Eleven plants at last count  :) but they won't all flower...

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2545 on: March 18, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »

How lovely, brightens the Soul  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2546 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »

I was given 2 jars of 'peanut' butter for the birds: the black bird has tried it.  However, with half the World starving  :-\

The wren is in and out of the meal worm tub helping herself.  Sparrows are chattering away in one direction, starlings squawking in the other  :)

Was this the specially made for birds kind CLKD. I saw this advertised and wondered whether to buy some or not. How did you serve it up for them  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2547 on: March 18, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »

Yep 'specially' made for the birds {Nick Baker} then I got to wondering, why: half the World starves and we're surveying up pea-nut butter  :o FOR THE BIRDS    ………   there are of course, special holders for the jars so that the birds can help themselves, however, it would take a brave bird to go into the jar when it begins to empty.

I scraped it out.  Blackbird likes it.  2 jars were given me so I won't buy it again. 

Taz2

« Reply #2548 on: March 18, 2015, 11:45:38 PM »

I think you could say that about anything that we feed the birds though? Are you donating to a third world charity instead of feeding the birds if it's bother you that you may be taking food away from someone who needs it? It's a totally different product from the one we would consume - for a start there's no salt in it - so you are not depriving anyone of a foodstuff.

I would just like to say that if my night-singing Robin would like to go to bed now I might be able to get some sleep!! He does sound delightful but sings from 11.30p.m. until 3.30ish a.m. night after night after night...  and it's driving me and the cats mad  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2549 on: March 19, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »

Probably due to light pollution Taz  ::)
I don't donate other than via charity shops ……. because I know how much money doesn't reach 'the cause'  >:(

The birds won't even look at the jars of peanut butter so am scrapping it out with a knife onto the bird table  ::) and the jar will be washed and recycled ………. however  :-X
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 423