Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1124209 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2520 on: February 26, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »

Ours are purring each evening. The pump has been running all winter though.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2521 on: February 26, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »

I switch off our pumps because gold fish go to the bottom to keep warm and if there is a circulation of water the temp. changes and they can die of shock.

I'll be keeping a close eye for our frogs now!

Taz2

« Reply #2522 on: February 26, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »

We haven't got any goldfish in ours - just some fish that appeared by themselves. Don't they eat the tadpoles?

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #2523 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »

We've had a magpie loitering on the ground by the nut feeders.
Normally I don't like magpies but this one just sits there looking upwards in a vaguely hopeful way. Oh, it does run off with any bread that's put down, it can fly, OH has seen it. The main thing is, it doesn't spook the little birds, I think it's just an amiable bird.  Never thought I'd say anything positive about a magpie.

Taz2

« Reply #2524 on: February 26, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »

I know they can be difficult but I really like them. It doesn't sound good though that yours is behaving in this way. He may be suffering from one of the various bird diseases but hopefully he will just be an amiable magpie  ;D  They are one of the most intelligent birds though - you only have to look at the clever way they construct their nests to keep out predators to see that.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #2525 on: February 26, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »

I do hope he (it does look like a he) is ok.
We are going to be away for a couple of days so he will have to look after himself.  :(

CLKD

« Reply #2526 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »

;D  I don't like going away over-night because m y birds won't get fed  ::)
We have 2 magpies here currently.  They fly off if I go outside.  I love the corvids!
Fish will eat tadpoles - for years ours didn't notice them - we have a blackbird that scoops up tadpoles too  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2527 on: February 26, 2015, 08:50:57 PM »

We are going to be away for a couple of days so he will have to look after himself.  :(

:lol: :lol:  What does a "he" magpie look like??

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2528 on: February 26, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

You'll need to find a 'she' and ask ……...

Limpy

« Reply #2529 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »

:lol: :lol:  What does a "he" magpie look like??

Taz x

Lacking a sense of direction and a bit confused, mind you, that could be me too............ ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2530 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »

There was a very big flock of gulls over the village - and I was wondering why they were here - we are 10 miles from the coast so thinking they've come up the valley because of stormy weather at sea. Must read about this when I have some time!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2531 on: February 27, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »

Seagulls used to head inland when the weather at sea was bad but you may find it was due to a farmer ploughing  ;).  Or a new garbage dump being opened ……… we have them all over the UK now, I don't know one type from tother though  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2532 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »

We have seagulls  here that I fear have never seen the sea - they frequently follow the plough along with the buzzards. We are around 35 miles from the sea. You might find this article interesting Hurdity http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19490866

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2533 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »

Oh I missed this - thanks for the link Taz  :) Lovely to see buzzards following the plough.

I must say I hadn't appreciated the rise of the urban gull because I rarely go anywhere (town or city) that's more than 10 miles from the sea - well except for Taunton sometimes - but then I'm shopping so not looking up at the sky  ::)

CLKD - we live in an AONB in the rolling hills of Devon so no new tips nearby and it's mostly grass and not often ploughed.

I reckon they were coming inland because of the stormy weather and perhaps coming up the valley from the coastal marshes about 5 miles away - perhpas it was high tide or something. Whatever it was, it was unusual to see such a big flock over the village! I love the sound they make - very evocative - but not during the night when I've stayed by the sea!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2534 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »

Anyone who thinks a SSI or AONB is safe - think again.  HS2 rail line is going through at least 4 of these, remember having been paid for by the Tax Payer and we were led to believe these 'titles' were to protect our heritage. WRONG  :bang: - so enjoy the area whilst you are able! also, our houses can be bought by the Government via Compulsory Purchase Orders  :'( - when HS2 goes through many people will lose their histories …………

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 423