Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1123274 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #1695 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »

Wow Greyhoundgal - you were so lucky. Whereabouts did you see them and at what time of year? I would love to see one!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1696 on: October 01, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »

Oh that is one bird that I would love to see in the wild, I know they are spotted in the South of England occassionally.  I did see spoonbills at Titchmarsh last week, another of my 'must sees'.

ariadne

« Reply #1697 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »

A Hoopoe in the UK? I must keep my eyes peeled then as they are our favourite birds since we started going to Spain on holiday. I love their cheeky manner and the tuft on their heads. Such a striking bird with a very distinctive undulating flight.

Lucky you Greyhoundgirl!

ariadne xx

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #1698 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »

Sorry to disappoint ladies but they weren't in the UK :(  We were in Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands and they were just pecking about in the garden one morning in our apartment complex.  They were absolutely beautiful but of course we didn't have the camera to hand......and we walked right past them as well, only about 15 yards away.

Taz2

« Reply #1699 on: October 02, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »

Oh what a shame! I thought you were in the UK! Not such a rare sight over there of course but still lovely to see.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #1700 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »

How big are they in comparison to a blackbird?

ariadne

« Reply #1701 on: October 02, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

Oh, me too - thought you meant in the UK.  I'd say they are just a bit smaller than a blackbird CLKD

Lovely little chaps - although I read in the comments underneath the photo you posted that they stink! Rather spoiled my impression of them.

ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #1702 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »

We will have to watch out for them next year http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/hoopoe/

Taz x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #1703 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

How big are they in comparison to a blackbird?

A little smaller and somehow daintier if that makes sense?  They were stunning though and nothing like I'd ever seen before :)

lady57

« Reply #1704 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »

well after 5 weeks we have had a few little visitors. 2 tits a robin and a greenfinch over the last week. However they are only interested in the mixed seed feeder, nothing has gone near the sunflower hearts and nyger seed that my neighbour suggested we get.

changesbabe

« Reply #1705 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »

Nearly stepped on a fairly big hedgehog when I went out to put something in the bin last night. Don't know who got the biggest fright - once we both got over the shock we stood and checked each other out for a bit - I clearly wasn't interesting enough as the hedgehog wandered off looking bored. Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #1706 on: October 22, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »

;D  typical of hedgehogs  ;)

We have goldfinches on the nyger seed.  It was 2 years before any birds found the nyger feeders, so patience is required.  Wehave a returned robin, some tits and 1 greenfinch.  I have thrown out 5 fat balls as they weren't touched at all, as well as a sack of peanuts which went mouldy both in the feeders and the sack.   >:(  Birds are getting fussy ............ fussier .......... it's not really cold enough for them to be bothered yet  ::)

lady57

« Reply #1707 on: October 22, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

2 years, goodness me. Nyger is not cheap and i am not going to keep throwing it away and changing it if they are not interested, same with the sunflower hearts. If they like the mixed seed then that is what they will get  :)

ellie

« Reply #1708 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

Plenty of food around at this time of year for the birds to 'harvest' themselves.....We usually have flocks of Goldfinches on our Niger seed, but not at the moment. The weather forcast is for it to turn really cold by the end of the week, so I expect the finches will be back soon.
      I put dried meal worms out every day and Mr Robin certainly knows where to look.

Taz2

« Reply #1709 on: October 22, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

My goldfinches have been feeding all year round but they always do. They cost me a fortune and yesterday I could see a flock of something in the distance and around fifty new ones descended on the feeders. Thankfully they were only on a re-fuelling stop and after an hour of feeding, preening and resting they flew off again leaving the normal flock of around 25 birds. I spend less in the winter on food as the feeding time is so much shorter. 

I don't think it is that birds are getting fussier but that the seed manufacturers -especially the fat ball ones - are using much cheaper ingredients. I see it even in the top quality seed - much more grass and millet than there used to be. Everyone is feeling the pinch I think.

I think two years is the exception CLKD - it normally takes around three weeks for finches to notice and accept a new feeder. I am off to refill mine again - I am an hour late and they will all be twittering when they see me come out of the back door!

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 423