Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122436 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #1560 on: July 14, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »

In the Winter we get siskins which left quietly mid-Spring and the goldfinches stayed until mid-May this year. 

Taz2

« Reply #1561 on: July 14, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »

Our goldfinches stay all year which is so lovely. The bullfinches also stayed this year though they normally disappear around March time. I can only think it is because the sunflower hearts were put into a feeder with a large tray this time and they seem to love sitting in the tray instead of just perching as they had before.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #1562 on: July 18, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »

Got up this am to see both pigeon parents staring in the window as if it's my fault. Their baby was killed early this morning. Usual culprit, the rooks or whatever they are. Just traces of blood on the pebbles.
I know that they are ' just' feral pigeons, but their dedication to their young throughout all this deluge weather was touching.
Horrible.

PS the birds are, I'm told, carrion crows. Inner city predators. Vile things.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:45:09 PM by oldsheep »

Taz2

« Reply #1563 on: July 18, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

Silly pigeon parents - they obviously took their eyes off the nest for a minute or two. Carrion crows are very intelligent. It is unusual for them to take a live chick at this time of year - they still prefer carrion even though they have moved to the inner city. I would have thought a  magpie would be more the culprit. Upsetting either way.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #1564 on: July 18, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »

Nature in the raw  >:(  ::) .......... our blackbird disappeared for 5 days, he's back  now, chirping gently for meal worms  :-*

oldsheep

« Reply #1565 on: July 19, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »

Silly pigeon parents - they obviously took their eyes off the nest for a minute or two. Carrion crows are very intelligent. It is unusual for them to take a live chick at this time of year - they still prefer carrion even though they have moved to the inner city. I would have thought a  magpie would be more the culprit. Upsetting either way.

Taz x

I think they flew off to get food. I didn't see the culprit this time. Last time it was a crow. Could have been a magpie as there are loads of them too. I did see a crow hanging about later on though. I don't much care for pigeons, but felt v bad for the parents.
Btw the other bird I asked about is a jay, another member of the crow family. Too many crows and magpies round here.

Taz2

« Reply #1566 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

They can be attracted to spilt food mrs purple. I must admit it has never bothered me and I know that the mice feed from the saucers because one cold, frosty night I went out to fill the seed feeders so that the birds could feed first thing in the morning. We have a street light outside the garden fence so I could see what I was doing. Anyway I thought the feeder was a little heavier than usual as I lifted it down but carried it into the utility room to fill it up. I put the feeder down on the shelf and there, looking back at me, was a terrified mouse. It stayed while I filled the feeder up and then jumped off when I went back out into the garden. I obviously run a Mouse Cafe.

Oldsheep - because Jays have such stunning colouring most people don't realise that they will take live chicks when hungry. They moan and groan about the magpies and jackdaws but not the Jays or Woodpeckers. Another case of it depending on what you look like as to whether you are liked or not!!

Taz x

changesbabe

« Reply #1567 on: July 19, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »

Hey Taz - I was thinking of you the other day and remembering how your dad inspired a love of all things nature in you - have any of your kids picked up this appreciation of nature from you?  I would imagine they would have but just wanted to ask. xxx

Taz2

« Reply #1568 on: July 19, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

No - they think I am mad  ;D

changesbabe

« Reply #1569 on: July 19, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »

:rofl: ha kids - who'd have them! Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #1570 on: July 19, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

We feed chickens, quails and wild birds and haven't seen a rat in 15 years.  Mice a plenty ........ local cat waits outside the quail run for  me to empty the traps every morning  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #1571 on: July 19, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

We don't have pigeon poop as we have cats visiting and the pigeons tend not to be that close to the house.  Now chicken poop  ::) is slippery  :o  ....... but using hot water and a very firm brush: or waiting until the poop has dried: either way it cleans up OK!

CLKD

« Reply #1572 on: July 19, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »

we have a jet-washer to use now that the ban is over!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:30:10 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #1573 on: July 19, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

Not really, my sense of humour  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #1574 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

Did you get far with the dog?  (little steps)

Have eaten our chicken dinner, now stuffed  ::)

Our blackbird is chirriping softly again  :-*
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 423